Single CD Player Recommendations?

IgniFerroque

The Count of Connotation
Hi all,

I've currently got a Sony CDP-C515, which works fine, but since I can now stream playlists from my computer the carousel functionality is more annoying than useful. I'm looking to replace it with a cd player that only does 1 disc at a time. I use the optical out to a AudioEngine D1, so it wouldn't need to have crazy fancy dacs, just solid cd reading performance (and optical out of course). Bonus points for well-built, features available without a remote, small, cheap, and cool looking. :) (As an example of a feature I'd like: Some "Deluxe" versions of albums have a bunch of extra tracks on the end and I'd love a cd player that would let me select which tracks to skip without using a remote. I'm not a fan of remotes)

I see the Onkyo C-7030 is well regarded. Ditto the Yamaha CD-S300. Anything else in the same vein? The new ones are a little pricy for me and it seems like there should be plenty of cast-offs floating around, anything good to watch out for on eb*y?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Check out Accessories4less.com They have refurbished players you mentioned and a few others.

Thanks for the recommendation, that would definitely save a few bucks off the price new.

Thanks for the link, I didn't run across that thread in my searches. Some interesting options there. I'd love one of those Marantz players, but I suspect that it might not be worth it to use with an external dac. Some earlier Denons were mentioned as well, I need to dig into what's available there.

A vote here for the Yamaha cd-s300, not too expensive; especially if you're patient.

It does look like it might be worth chasing down one of these used. Do you have one of these? What do you like most about it?

Tascam CD-200.

I'd be interested to hear what you like about this unit. I'll admit I skipped past it when I saw the Pitch knob on the front.

Thanks all!

I bet the Tascam cd-200 would out last a Onkyo C-7030 mine lasted only a bit over two years and had a circuit board failure. You could also go with a outboard DAC down the road. Plenty of good used CD/DVD players you could use with a outboard DAC also which is what I use now.

I bet the Tascam cd-200 would out last a Onkyo C-7030 mine lasted only a bit over two years and had a circuit board failure. You could also go with a outboard DAC down the road. Plenty of good used CD/DVD players you could use with a outboard DAC also which is what I use now.

I do worry about the reliability of Onkyo, but I've also owned a piece of Tascam equipment that failed. My experience with Tascam "support" was disheartening to say the least.

It does look like it might be worth chasing down one of these used. Do you have one of these? What do you like most about it?

I do have one. I like most that it sounds great compared to some other cd players I've used; I like the USB input for my iPod and it feels slightly heavy for its size, makes me think quality.

I do worry about the reliability of Onkyo, but I've also owned a piece of Tascam equipment that failed. My experience with Tascam "support" was disheartening to say the least.
That's not good then, I always regarded Tascam a big notch above the Teac line. I see cd/dvd players at GW quite often, last week I saw a Yamaha their for the cost of lunch. One thing I learned though is you need the cd/dvd or the transport seems to be constantly moving about generating noise. I'm using a Sony made in 2004 with the coax digital out with a FIO DAC and it's quiet and works great and hooked to the tv also on the RGB outputs.

The Onkyo C-7030 is the best player I have ever heard and many believe the same thing. A few people have had problems with theirs so I just leave mine on without ever turning it off. But the soundstage and detail is phenomenal....like when I finally got it broken in I have to listen to my entire CD collection all over again and I'm still on that.

But, I will tell you that this player takes a long time to break in.......a long time ! I'd put this player against an Oppo playing a CD....

I'm using a Tascam CD-200 as a transport into the DAC on my McIntosh C47. It a rugged, great bang for the buck piece of gear. As a transport it is perfectly adequate; putting your money in the DAC is the way to go. I have also used much more expensive CD players, from the like of Ayre, Bryston, and others. I know some people feel that the transport is super supper important; however, that hasn't been my experience.

some people feel that the transport is super supper important; however, that hasn't been my experience.
That's one reason I stay with the earlier cd/dvd players the transports are very substantial compared to how there made now.

I know some people feel that the transport is super supper important; however, that hasn't been my experience.

I suspect that is true, I'm thinking that reliability and features/UI are more important. Unfortunately, it seems as though the days of CD players with lots of buttons has passed. I think that if I want to skip tracks I'm going to have to grab a remote. And index points? Forget about it.

That's why I'm wondering if there are some reliable older models that might be worth a look. Maybe something like the Denon DCD-1520? Unfortunately, those are approaching 30 and still worth $100. I'm hoping there's some model from the 2000s or something that might be exactly what I'm looking for, but am just totally unaware.

That's why I'm wondering if there are some reliable older models that might be worth a look. Maybe something like the Denon DCD-1520? Unfortunately, those are approaching 30 and still worth $100. I'm hoping there's some model from the 2000s or something that might be exactly what I'm looking for, but am just totally unaware.
Why worry with old units that could be near failure? For $100 to $200 you can have a brand new Onyko or pro Tascam, and you're done.

Back
Top Bottom