Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/blog

OPA627 is a single OpAmp, that means we need to solder two OPA627’s on a small PCB board in order to put it into the dual OpAmp socket of the D1 and D2. D1 uses two dual OpAmp’s ( 4 OPA 627’s) and D2 uses three dual OpAmp’s ( that’s 6 OPA 627’s). All the OpA 627’s in one unit will be carefully matched to ensure the maximum balance and sound performance.

Hi, can you show the photo of the tubes you recomend in your post??, I am trying to find them on ebay I will like to see the first one if your list....
WE396A (D getter)
WE2C51 (D getter)

The GE tube is actually quite tasty, so no big rush there. I can say for sure, the Chinese tube lacks ... well ... pretty much everything in comparison.

If you do get into rolling, here's a nice lil pOOp sheet from HeadFi to help you sort through the options ...

1st class,
WE396A (D getter)
WE2C51 (D getter)
Bendix 6385 (toooo expensive)
Tesla 6CC42 (rare but sometimes will show up in the market)

2nd class,
WE396A/2C51 (O getter)
Tung-sol 2C51 (they invent this tube, 1950s, D getter)
Raytheon CK5670 (1950s, D getter)
* Raytheon CRP 5670 windmill getter
RCA 5670 (1950s, D/Plate 2 supporting rod getter)
* RCA Command Series 5670
GE 5670 (3 mica structure, mostly 5 stars tube)

3rd class, (after 1960s)
GE 5670 (this is the two mica version Maverick supplies as an upgrade option)
RCA 5670
Tung-sol 5670
Sylvania 2C51
Sylvania 5670 (sometimes marked Mullard)
RTC 5670
Philips 2C51

4th class,
Russian and Chinese 6N3P, -E, -EB, -EV (stock Maverick tube)

One thing I'll add ... I have BOTH a '56 and '72 series Western Electric 2C51, and prefer the tone of the '72. Both were purchased as NOS (take that with a grain of salt, but they test good), but the '72 has much more ... muchness. As always, your results may vary. As mentioned, the Tesla is my go to tube for the current tube set I'm running in my tube amps.

They, like ... look like tubes if I remember right. :rolleyes:

I just happen to have a pic of a couple of the later production WE 2C51, so one out of two ain't bad. The 396 version looks pretty much identical, only dated 1952 instead of 1972. I actually preferred the later version for tone, but the Tesla runs rings around both in my system.

maverick-tubes.jpg

Thank you for the reply, here is what I have, I think you have two of the same I own I have attach a photo, well all sound pretty much the same, with the exception of the GE the one in the orange box, I have two types of GE but the orange one is just superB, I think this tube allows me about 20% in better performance, bass is better, details are incredible and highs are super, have you try this tube before??......

BTW, do you ever compare this DAC against any CD player with TDA 1540/41??.....I never have one of those, but I own a Magnavox with twin TDA 1543 witch is claimed to be very very close to the 1541, I have try the maverick DAC but this DAC is ages away from the TDA1543, perform lot better my DAC have the Oamp upgrade provided by Maverick, now I am looking to upgrade this Oamps again usingIMG_6090.JPG the info in this chat I have found some.....

They, like ... look like tubes if I remember right. :rolleyes:

I just happen to have a pic of a couple of the later production WE 2C51, so one out of two ain't bad. The 396 version looks pretty much identical, only dated 1952 instead of 1972. I actually preferred the later version for tone, but the Tesla runs rings around both in my system.

maverick-tubes.jpg

Hi, you mention here that you hook your TT to the analog inputs on the MAV, I have tryed to use this analog inputs but I feel that sound turns kind sitortioned or saturated, do you have try to use CD player to it??, old cd players dont have coax or optical outputs, I have use old cd players here but sounds turn not that good.....

Big fan of the Maverick DACs here myself - you can pay a helluva lot more for a helluva lot less. Started a while back with the D1 first edition, and am currently flying a D1+ with the OPA627 upgrade. I got the D1+ with the standard chipset and Chinese tube just so I could hear the difference, and am glad I made the investment. Those got swapped around into the new box.

mavericks_stacked.jpg

I passed on the D2 even though it did have better spec, but I didn't want to lose the analog in. I plug my turntable into that via an external stage and get some of that tooby goodness there too. The box makes a surprisingly decent pre as well ... I have my HD Radio tuner plugged into AUX with a DIY interconnect.

Also running a Tesla 6CC42 as my go to tube. Has a very refined tone to it. My setup is also more of a tube buffer kinda thang, as my system uses tubes for the final amps as well. I find the Maverick does a real nice job of fine tuning the sound, and gives me more options for rolling in the main amps as well. Drivers I'm running there would be a bit dark for my tastes without the Tesla tube to calm them down.

And ya ... rolling is fun!

maverick-tubes.jpg

That's box one of two. <G>

Oh. Keep an eye on the big caps as well. Only problem I've heard of is those going south. Check for swelling, or just replace them.

Hi, you mention here that you hook your TT to the analog inputs on the MAV, I have tryed to use this analog inputs but I feel that sound turns kind sitortioned or saturated, do you have try to use CD player to it??, old cd players dont have coax or optical outputs, I have use old cd players here but sounds turn not that good.....
Does your turntable have a phono preamp built in ? If not. You need one between the turntable and Maverick unit.

the TT have preamp, but I have used a old cd player and a cassette deck and the sound turns kind distortioned, saturated may be the word appropiate to describe....

I have a D1+ with upgraded Burr Brown Op Amps and the GE 5670W NOS tube. I use the USB port to stream wirelessly though a laptop from a 4TB drive or from Amazon Prime, use the coax for an 80's vintage Denon CD player that I use as a transport only now, and tried pushing my TT through a Art DJ preamp and the analog port of the D1+. The USB and Coax sound great. Not the TT through the anolog. Seemed muddy and muffled. No more.

Yes, I use a 6n3p in one Maverick and a 6n3p-e in another. They both sound great! I haven't tried swapping one into my Maverick D2 yet because it came with a GE tube. I highly recommend these Russian tubes, and they are still cheap.

Hello guys, I have hook the solid state outputs to the Maverick D1, it sounds really nice too, my question is, with the solid state outputs, the tube is fully override in the sound??, the Mav sound really nice even with the SS's, I am kind surpriced......

The tube is bypassed when you plug into the SS jacks. Rumor has it you don't even need it in circuit, but I see no reason to remove it.

Still a big fan of the unit. No incentive to try for better here as it does everything I want it to, gracefully, with excellent sound quality. Only problem I've had is a leaky Burson op amp,and I certainly can't blame Maverick for that. Burson did offer to replace the op amp, but I'd have to ship the old one Down Under, and the Maverick OPA upgrade sounds just as good.

The tube is bypassed when you plug into the SS jacks. Rumor has it you don't even need it in circuit, but I see no reason to remove it.

Still a big fan of the unit. No incentive to try for better here as it does everything I want it to, gracefully, with excellent sound quality. Only problem I've had is a leaky Burson op amp,and I certainly can't blame Maverick for that. Burson did offer to replace the op amp, but I'd have to ship the old one Down Under, and the Maverick OPA upgrade sounds just as good.

I have try to beat the MAV, I had put this agains very first players, some with TDA 1543(twin chip), a DUAL cd player from first generation cd players, any of them have the MAV path, the warmth from the tube is just unique, SS output is almost same but with certain songs and recordings, that vary, tube output sounds perfect with any song, I am ussing nice tubes but I am about to try the sparkos Oamps, I am very curious how this upgrade will perform....

I can't remember if this was mentioned - the tube and SS outputs are hot. So you can hook up 2 amps and play the same music simultaneously. I use the tube output for main system in living room and beam output from SS to bedroom system.

So I have the Sparkos and the WE396A in my D2. Just ordered a Tesla tube online, so excited to see how good that will be.

I can also recommend using the iFi Purifier for USB input. Made a big difference to the detail when using a computer as the source and only costs about $100.

Last edited:
Now got the Tesla playing, probably about 16 hours in. Definite improvement, bigger better 3d soundstage. And the bass has a bit more but more depth.

Hello Brad, after reading your post I have upgrade the Maverick D1 plus with the Sparkos Oamps, but I have also purchase the capacitors you recomended, the Oamps where ok, but after the capacitors where added the sound turn too wide and less detailed, I am not sure if I have or the D1 model uses 2.2 ohms, I have the original capacitor here and they say 0.1, it took my attention why the D2 you own have this difference in the output capacitors, anyway I will try to get another set of 0.1, it any chance you can refer me to any output capacitor recomendation, I have atteached the photo of the one we remove from the mav, the original one.....

EDIT: OpAmps need to be installed in the right orientation. Use my photos below for orientation. If you have questions about the correct way to install them ask first!

Also, I play my digital files through Foobar2000 on my laptop feeding the DAC. I have many 24 bit files but I play even 16bit files with 24/96K set in my windows settings. Sometimes I drop the settings to 24/48 for certain files based on what sounds best.

Good Evening A/Kers,

I am so thrilled with the quality of my D2 DAC that I thought I would share it. I purchased this DAC in October directly from Maverick Audio. I purchased the unit with the upgraded OPA627 OpAmps and the
GE5670W tube upgrade for $289. The unit can be purchased on Maverick Audio's website here: http://www.mav-audio.com/store/index.php/dac/tube-magic-dac-d2-5670-627.html

After using the DAC for a couple of months and finding it to be a big improvement over the HRT Music Streamer II+ I decided it was worth putting some money into. What I decided to do was:

1. Buy Tubes

WE2C51 (D-Getter), Tesla 6CC42 (D-Getter), Sylvanias, GEs and a Bendix 6385 from 1964 that has yet to arrive. The WE2C51 was a massive upgrade over the GE tube that came with the unit. I also find the Tesla to be a big improvement in my system over the WE2C51. I am really looking forward to comparing the Tesla to the Bendix tube when it arrives.

I can say without a doubt that tube rolling really makes a difference in this DAC. I haven't found a single situation where I preferred the standard outputs over the tube outputs. This is true with the DAC hooked up to the Fisher KX-200 tube amp or the 1970s solid state monster Kenwood KA-907.

Even though tube rolling provides big gains in this device, it pales in comparison to the #2 upgrade which is...

2. Upgrade OpAmps to DISCRETE OpAmps

I read alot of great information and reviews on Audiokarma and elsewhere about the Sparkos Lab OpAmps and knew that I definitely wanted to try them. Here is a link to Sparkos Labs OpAmps page: http://sparkoslabs.com/product/discrete-op-amp-ss3602/ This links to the dual discrete OpAmps that are needed for the D2. You actually need 3 of them. As you can see they are pretty pricey, however Sparkos Labs does offer these on ebay and you can make an offer and he may give you a break for buying 3.

All I can say is WOW! These really open up the device, the soundstage is trully impressive with these installed. The DAC really sounds hugely improved over the OPA627s that came with the unit. I can't believe this DAC at this point with the upgraded opamps started as a $250 unit!

If you only do one upgrade to this device I truly recommend doing this!

3. Upgrade Output Capacitors

I wanted to see if I could push the sound even further by replacing the 2.2ohm output WIMA capacitors with boutiques. I replaced them with 2.2ohm 800V Jantzen Z-superior audio caps from parts express. They can be found here: http://www.parts-express.com/jantzen-audio-22uf-800v-z-superior-capacitor--027-482

These are really large and required me to move two small caps to the underside of the PCB in order to accommodate these caps. I believe they help tighten up the sound over the WIMAs however I also admit that it may be placebo. I had them around as extras from another job so I figured I would use them.

When it comes down to it, I couldn't be happier with this DAC. I use the USB input exclusively from a Laptop and Foobar. I have it outputting to both a Kenwood KA-907 and a Fisher KX-200. I really prefer the tube out, but the regular output is definitely in the same ballpark. Those Sparkos Labs OpAmps are really something.

The sound from the DAC rivals my TT setups! I have many albums in 24/96k quality and the vinyl as well. I even have a number of 24/96k rips of the same vinyl I own. I can say that there are some albums I prefer the digital files through this DAC over the vinyl. I thought that the setup was just shy of my vinyl with the WE2C51 tube, but when switched to the Tesla 6CC42 it is equal to in many cases.

Here are some nude shots of the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC with the Tesla tube, Sparkos Labs OpAmps and Jantzen caps installed.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Best,

Brad

Attachments

• IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 25
On the Tesla 6cc42 tubes do they have to be the d-getter ones? There seems to be different variants to these on the bay.

Question.
Will the discrete op amps plug in directly to the sockets, and fit under the stock cover? D1+.
Sorry for some reason I'm having trouble seeing some of the pictures you guys have posted.
Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom