Critters

Beautiful dog! I used to think huskies were just another breed of dog but thanks to you tube, the more I see them, the more I like them.

Thanks. Sadly, he's not really mine - he belongs to my sister's ex. But I've been housemates with them his whole life, untill they divorced a few months ago, and was his primary care-giver for 6 months while the ex-in-law was working overseas, so I've grown quite attatched to him.
I still don't conider myself much of a dog person, but huskies are different - almost cat-like in many ways. He can be a cheeky little bastard, and you can't walk him off the leash if there's live food around (then his instincts take over, and he forgets about everything else), but he's super affectionate, and great with children and other dogs.

34148268596_95178b30c1_b.jpg

I'm happy to hear you didn't kill them. Too many people do that. Snakes are cool animals too, and they are an integral part nature's balance of pest control. I'd welcome them in my garden. :)

You'd love our 12ft long Carpet Snake that lives in our roof. He's been here for about 17 years and we've never had a rat! He comes out and lies in the sun around my neighbour's pool. I've told the neighbour in no uncertain terms not to kill him (they are protected) as he's 'our' pet and harmless.

Sometimes if he gets a baby possum or some other large creature, he has to wait until it's partially digested before he can squeeze through his hole between the roofing iron and the timber siding.

We have Eastern Browns which are pretty aggressive, and red-bellied blacks and heaps of green tree snakes. They all live happily around us and we love our wildlife.

I will however say the fat fiesty possum that awoke me at 2am last night jumping onto the house and raiding my cat's food didn't impress me.

Here are some images I shot in the last couple of years. Two in PA and the others in FLA. Can you guess which photo was taken where? The deer photos were taken from my kayak. The gator photos were definitely not.

CAS_1724_hammock.JPG

CSP_6800_hammock.JPG

CAS_2545_buck.JPG

CAS_2547_buck.JPG

Last edited:
This guy was inside my garage today. Put him on the steps for his portrait and then into some bushes. I think it's a milk snake, but I wasn't going to test that theory.
View attachment 947472

Yep, looks like a Eastern Milk Snake. They are as harmless as a garter snake. One quick visual queue to tell if a snake is venomous here in North America (we don't have all that many venomous snake species here) is by the shape of their head. If it has a diamond-shaped head like a rattlesnake or a cottonmouth, it's venomous. The only exception is the three species of coral snakes (Western, Eastern, and Texas) in the extreme southern U.S. which have a more slender head. Good on you for kindly relocating it without killing it. Snakes are cool animals too, and are actually beneficial to local ecosystems. :)

Back
Top Bottom