Hi Fi DO - Good?

GT-2000 table
B-2x amplifier
NS-1000x speakers
Denon and ADC ultralight headshells

Big or small, no issues with shipping and all items arrived looking better than in the pictures. Lately their prices on some items are even better than those on yahoo jp auctions.

I was quoted $228 for EMS (express air, post office service, insured) from HiFiDo Japan to the Greater Los Angeles area for a Technics Sl-1200MK3. Still seems like a better deal than dealing with the uncertainty of buying from eBay of Craigslist.

I was quoted $228 for EMS (express air, post office service, insured) from HiFiDo Japan to the Greater Los Angeles area for a Technics Sl-1200MK3. Still seems like a better deal than dealing with the uncertainty of buying from eBay of Craigslist.

If it is listed with a 2 year guarantee then you can be sure they thoroughly looked it over for issues. The only gamble items they have are the junkshop ones but even those could be better than some eBay items.

If it is listed with a 2 year guarantee then you can be sure they thoroughly looked it over for issues. The only gamble items they have are the junkshop ones but even those could be better than some eBay items.
Thank you very much for your feedback. Would you happen to know if a step down transformer like the one below will work with turntables from Japan? I'm located in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-VC500W-Voltage-Transformer-converter/dp/B000MX1QXA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1497157132&sr=8-15&keywords=step+down+transformer&th=1

Thank you very much for your feedback. Would you happen to know if a step down transformer like the one below will work with turntables from Japan? I'm located in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-VC500W-Voltage-Transformer-converter/dp/B000MX1QXA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1497157132&sr=8-15&keywords=step+down+transformer&th=1

I think this would be better:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013IID3QS/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

If the Technics is about 13.5 watts power draw and the Kashimura is about 3 times the wattage you are covered. I have one I use with a Yamaha HA-1 LOMC headamp (Japan only) and it works well here in the states, no noise or issues.

I think this would be better:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013IID3QS/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

If the Technics is about 13.5 watts power draw and the Kashimura is about 3 times the wattage you are covered. I have one I use with a Yamaha HA-1 LOMC headamp (Japan only) and it works well here in the states, no noise or issues.
Thank you very much kind sir! Do you have any thoughts on Stokyo Factory refurbished Technics SL-1200?

http://www.stokyoworld.com/product_p/mcc-sl-1200mk3d-silver.htm

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/technics-sl-1200mk5-turntable-mcc-refurbished

Generally I would argue strongly against using a auto transformer as a stepdown, but for 13.5W???
Just be aware of the differences between an auto transformer and a fully isolated step down and
the short comings.

Generally I would argue strongly against using a auto transformer as a stepdown, but for 13.5W???
Just be aware of the differences between an auto transformer and a fully isolated step down and
the short comings.
Thank's everyone for all their feedback!!! I'll have to do some research on the difference between the two.

Go with hifido. The Japanese typically take really good care of their stuff so one that needs refurbishing has probably not been well cared for. I've been to hifido in Tokyo (Akihabara and Marunochi) and they don't sell worn stuff unless explicitly stated or if it's such a rare item that the value is only slightly diminished by wear and tear (ie. certain models of speakers).

Go with hifido. The Japanese typically take really good care of their stuff so one that needs refurbishing has probably not been well cared for. I've been to hifido in Tokyo (Akihabara and Marunochi) and they don't sell worn stuff unless explicitly stated or if it's such a rare item that the value is only slightly diminished by wear and tear (ie. certain models of speakers).
That does it then! I'll have to order through them once I get my refund for a very poorly described eBay item.

the short comings.

What brand(s) of isolated step down transformers would you recommend?

From what little I know, 2 of the short comings of an auto transformer are,
- failure mode. Generally they will fail open circuit, this will (can?) cause the mains voltage to be presented to your audio device, generally means toast.
fyi, an auto transformer is a bit like a trimmer or volume pot except the wiper is in a fixed position. Variac are auto transformers with a variable wiper.
- noise is the second issue, keep in mind some people spend money on power conditioners to reduce noise.

I recently built my own step down, after all it's just a transformer with a primary winding that must have the same rating as your mains supply. The
secondary winding must match the voltage of your audio device, eg, Primary=110Vac, Secondary=100Vac. The third part of the equation is the power
rating of the transformer, the so called VA (Volt Amps) rating. This is APPROXIMATELY equal to the number of watts of your device. A better
approximation is WATTS = V x A x 0.8 The 0.8 being called a power factor (I think) since voltage and current aren't in exact phase. Add fuses, a switch
power cord and a box and job done. I would advise against building your own unless you have very high end needs. It's cheaper to buy ready made.

I'm not familiar with brand names in the USA, I would select one that uses a torroidal transformer rather than the old EI type due to lower noise, also
smaller size.

Also, transformers are rated for a particular VA, so if you buy a 110Vac->100Vac 1000VA transformer, the secondary voltage will be 100Vac when
you are drawing 1000VA, which will be never. An amp rated at 250W (consumption) will spend 99.9% of its time consuming less than 100W, unless
you dislike your neighbours, so don't over do the VA rating.

If you want a stepdown for a TT with 13.5 W requirements then the economics make it difficult to argue against an autotransformer, my only concern
would be noise which 808_state kindly states is not an issue. On the other hand, if the stepdown was for you power hungry vintage amp, I'd go torroidal.

ooops, forgot the snubber cap.
Also check the no load secondary voltage rating. For the 110Vac->100Vac example, expect a no load secondary voltage of about 104Vac.
You device will spend most of it's time seeing this voltage, 104Vac is fine, keep in mind that the mains bounces up and down. A no load
voltage of 107-108Vac is pointless.

From what little I know, 2 of the short comings of an auto transformer are,
- failure mode. Generally they will fail open circuit, this will (can?) cause the mains voltage to be presented to your audio device, generally means toast.
fyi, an auto transformer is a bit like a trimmer or volume pot except the wiper is in a fixed position. Variac are auto transformers with a variable wiper.
- noise is the second issue, keep in mind some people spend money on power conditioners to reduce noise.

I recently built my own step down, after all it's just a transformer with a primary winding that must have the same rating as your mains supply. The
secondary winding must match the voltage of your audio device, eg, Primary=110Vac, Secondary=100Vac. The third part of the equation is the power
rating of the transformer, the so called VA (Volt Amps) rating. This is APPROXIMATELY equal to the number of watts of your device. A better
approximation is WATTS = V x A x 0.8 The 0.amps ing called a power factor (I think) since voltage and current aren't in exact phase. Add fuses, a switch
power cord and a box and job done. I would advise against building your own unless you have very high end needs. It's cheaper to buy ready made.

I'm not familiar with brand names in the USA, I would select one that uses a torroidal transformer rather than the old EI type due to lower noise, also
smaller size.

Also, transformers are rated for a particular VA, so if you buy a 110Vac->100Vac 1000VA transformer, the secondary voltage will be 100Vac when
you are drawing 1000VA, which will be never. An amp rated at 250W (consumption) will spend 99.9% of its time consuming less than 100W, unless
you dislike your neighbours, so don't over do the VA rating.

If you want a stepdown for a TT with 13.5 W requirements then the economics make it difficult to argue against an autotransformer, my only concern
would be noise which 808_state kindly states is not an issue. On the other hand, if the stepdown was for you power hungry vintage amp, I'd go torroidal.

I think he will be fine for the turntable but thanks for great info concerning amps!

I'm glad to see there have been so many satisfied customers at hifido! A GT 2000 and a lot of extra money for buying records has pretty much convinced me to not get the SL 1200G. Even with a $500 shipping charge, the Yamaha turntable will probably end up being cheaper and I can't imagine the sound being dramatically different from one to the other.

I'm glad to see there have been so many satisfied customers at hifido! A GT 2000 and a lot of extra money for buying records has pretty much convinced me to not get the SL 1200G. Even with a $500 shipping charge, the Yamaha turntable will probably end up being cheaper and I can't imagine the sound being dramatically different from one to the other.
The other point is: try putting a 40 pound platter on the Technics. Whereas, the GT 2000 was made for it.

Indeed. I can't wait to have everything ready. Hoping to find a pair of NS-1000 locally in good shape to upgrade the NS-690ii which I really like, but with the GT 2k and the CR-2020 I think the NS-1000 are the better pairing. Or at least I hope they are once I hear the comparison between the two.

I always factor in a 4 times operating margin between the rating of the transformer and the power requirement of the item that I am using it with. For example if the compliance plate on the rear of (especially) an amplifier states that it draws 400 watts, my transformer will be specified at 1600VA. Overkill? Perhaps, but I'd rather have an over-specified transformer as opposed to an amp which needs more than the transformer can cope with. That is my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Back
Top Bottom