"Echo" is being blamed for creating impolite kids...you think?

Quadman2

Lunatic Member
Not sure if this should be in "Off Topic", but a mod will do the move if need be.

Anyways, read an article the other day bout how "Echo" is having a negative effect on the younger kids and they make use of this piece of electronic gear. No please or thank you required so some pundits think that they are transferring this impolite attitude over to the dealing with people.

Needless worry? Turning kids into tyrants, more so than they are?

Comments , esp from those who make use of this device and the kids use it.

Curious.

Q

Last edited:
Interesting concept .

I've heard that there are now companies offering programs/services for electronic addictions to the devices they have.:rolleyes:

Sad world that that our communicative gear creates yet another need that people can't do without and having to get outside help.

Q

So the concern here is that kids will become impolite because they aren't being forced to say please and thank-you to an inanimate object? :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that the "article" was simply written by someone who either hates new technology, or has become bitter that they have fallen behind the curve and no longer relate to others who do use new technology extensively. It will make them feel better about themselves to point out the ways in which the new tech is "bad".

So the concern here is that kids will become impolite because they aren't being forced to say please and thank-you to an inanimate object?

No. The concern is that kids don't say "please" and "thank you" at the appropriate time, regardless of who they are conversing with.

No. The concern is that kids don't say "please" and "thank you" at the appropriate time, regardless of who they are conversing with.

OK, so why is the echo device being blamed for that? (aka the subject of this thread).

Slightly off topic, but I had some fun with a friends Echo while on vacation. I decided to ask Alexa all kinds of non-standard questions just to see what the answer would be. Many times she would just say that she does not have enough information to answer the question. She has no idea what Google is or the substitute for Buttermilk if needed.

But, she does know "Whos your daddy" and the funniest answer came from the question "Alexa, are you gay?"

Now the real funny part about the whole thing is that I had no idea my friend had an app on his phone that tracked every question and answer posed, which in itself became a hysterical conversation.

Anyway, I would never own one of these Lazy Mans toys for many reasons, the biggest being all your questions, answers, and anything you say for 60 seconds up to saying Alexa, is stored in the cloud waiting to be hacked.

That all said, Parents teach children to be polite, or not. Toys and Electronic devices are not responsible for bad behavior and nothing stops you from saying Please in the command.

OK, so why is the echo device being blamed for that? (aka the subject of this thread).
I don't believe it's the cause, but it probably doesn't help the issue.

If a parent or adult is teaching proper etiquette, they will sometimes any "Are you forgetting something?", or "Say Please" to get the point across. I guess the Echo isn't programmed to do that.

I agree it's the parent's job, not the machine's.

Seems like there's a business opportunity here. Build an Echo add on that requires politeness in order to carry out actions.

bs

Sounds like another bullshit useless piece of "technology" that people that have them will tell you they can't live without.

When I want to hear music, I turn on my stereo. When I want to add to my shopping list, I get up and write on the post-it note on the fridge. If there is something I need to know, I will look it up on the computer/phone when I'm next on there, unless it's very very important and I need to know right away.

The best use of the Echo is for streaming Pandora to a location where you have no stereo or speakers in your hose, but that's about all I can find use for. I still would never buy or own one.

My question exactly. Should have been defined in the post or a link to the article would be nice if it has one.
Thank you very much!

Sorry, thought by now the word "Echo" is in most people's vocab and took it for granted as such. Placing the quotation marks around the word was meant to point this out along with the accompanying words that it was indeed... a "piece of electronic gear".

As per the "link"...I think it was the "Globe and Mail" that shared this article and being a few days ago read when I was on holidays, I didn't take note of the exact date of issue. Too many other things to deal with at the time and also dealing with a foreign language while there.

Bottom line, I perceive the attempt of the article was to share that "Echo" didn't created bad manners...it simply reinforced them. OK?

Q

Last edited:
Sounds like another bullshit useless piece of "technology" that people that have them will tell you they can't live without.

When I want to hear music, I turn on my stereo. When I want to add to my shopping list, I get up and write on the post-it note on the fridge. If there is something I need to know, I will look it up on the computer/phone when I'm next on there, unless it's very very important and I need to know right away.

I'm happy that's working out for you! ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom