Coping with Tinnitus

sjfloat

I know I'm not alone. I recently got a pair of Grado SR60s that I'm trying to make friends with. But I played one song too many and my ears are just *howling* now. I'm probably not listening to anything tonight. :(

I've currently got a pair Flent ear plugs jammed in there. Giving them a rest seems to help a bit.

How do you guys cope?

Mine started a little over two months ago. Probably can't beat it so I will join it :)
Habituation likely is the most successful path. I've given up in ear headphones when doing cardio as sweat amplifies the problem. In general over the ear headphones like the Grados' work better for me. I have and enjoy a pair of Grado 60s for home use but am experimenting with Senheiser for tv and cheap Bluetooth phones for the gym.

Roger

I stood in front of a Marshall stack for many years let alone cranking the shit out of my various stereos for just as long. My advice? Crank it louder and you won't hear that hum in your ears :)

I stood in front of a Marshall stack for many years let alone cranking the shit out of my various stereos for just as long. My advice? Crank it louder and you won't hear that hum in your ears :)

Have to disagree with this advice. One of the few knowns re tinnitus is an association with hearing loss. Increasing the odds of hearing loss via loud noise probably isn't going to help :no:

I am not sure why but when playing music loud enough to ring my ears I find relief in a few drops of hydrogen peroxide deep into my ears. It loosens up wax and in a day or so the ringing has subsided considerably. Also I tend to get a pressure feeling (slightly painful) in my ears along with ringing from too loud of music. I suspect what could be happening is something swells up in there, and presses against the wax. With the peroxide it allows the wax to flow and relieves pressure. It also improves hearing too.

Have to disagree with this advice. One of the few knowns re tinnitus is an association with hearing loss. Increasing the odds of hearing loss via loud noise probably isn't going to help :no:

Yes, and tinnitus tends to occur at frequencies where hearing damage has occurred. Continuing to subject one's ears to dangerous sound levels will increase both hearing loss and perceived tinnitus.

My tinnitus has diminished quite a bit since I first noticed it about a year ago. One factor may be that over that time I've fastidiously protected my ears from loud noises, including wearing earplugs at amplified concerts. So at least I'm not making it worse.

Tinnitus is a bitch no two ways about it. Mine is hereditary along with Meniere's disease which is something to not look forward to. My tinnitus varies with the weather, low pressure it decreases and High pressure makes it worse. My only advice is using hearing protection when using any loud equipment and not crank the stereo system. One of the most important things is to not dread over it this will make you nuts. This started for me eighteen years ago and the first few years it just intruded on my quality of life then I started to ignore it and not let it run my life. After I settle into listening to a disc I don't even notice it anymore but it's still their just like I am hearing it now as I type. A 50/50 mix of peroxide and distilled water will clean your ears and I use Auro ear relief drops to keep the inside of the ear canal lubricated afterward. I know this is really hard to deal with but you will come to terms with it and don't let it ruin your music listening other wise it's winning. I wish you and everyone else the best with dealing with tinnitus.

i used to get it when my mouth was full of mercury .. its since fell out and no tinnitus now . not many teeth as well .

Lack of sleep and too much caffine seem to make it worse for me. Shame, because staying up late and drinking black coffee through the next day are two of my favorite things.

Bam! I've noticed that too! And I generally rise at 4:00. Thanks, that's good feedback.

Yeah, I spent some time with 4x12s in my ear. That's fun advice. Not sure it's *good* advice. :) But it seems like its only recently catching up (like everything else).

Mine started a little over two months ago. Probably can't beat it so I will join it :)
Habituation likely is the most successful path. I've given up in ear headphones when doing cardio as sweat amplifies the problem. In general over the ear headphones like the Grados' work better for me. I have and enjoy a pair of Grado 60s for home use but am experimenting with Senheiser for tv and cheap Bluetooth phones for the gym.

Roger

I've lately kind of resolved to cut what I might call "utilitarian" listening in general. I'm moving back toward deliberate, almost ritualistic listening. My commutes pretty brutal though, so it's been harder to cut that.

Oh! That reminds me. My new bluetooth receiver just came today!

Ugh. My resolve is worthess. :)

I am not sure why but when playing music loud enough to ring my ears I find relief in a few drops of hydrogen peroxide deep into my ears. It loosens up wax and in a day or so the ringing has subsided considerably. Also I tend to get a pressure feeling (slightly painful) in my ears along with ringing from too loud of music. I suspect what could be happening is something swells up in there, and presses against the wax. With the peroxide it allows the wax to flow and relieves pressure. It also improves hearing too.

Yeah. My understanding is that there are multiple causes of tinnitus, adding to the confusion. But I think mine is probably associated with some kind of inflammation. OTOH, last time I cleaned my ears with hydrogen peroxide, I think I was a bit too aggressive. Things got much worse. Apparently ears are delicate things.

Yes, and tinnitus tends to occur at frequencies where hearing damage has occurred. Continuing to subject one's ears to dangerous sound levels will increase both hearing loss and perceived tinnitus.

My tinnitus has diminished quite a bit since I first noticed it about a year ago. One factor may be that over that time I've fastidiously protected my ears from loud noises, including wearing earplugs at amplified concerts. So at least I'm not making it worse.

Agreed. I'm much more aware of hearing hazard nowadays. Man, the things we used to do!

Just asked my ENT about it last month. His answer....... avoid situations with an absence of sound. Stay occupied with stuff so that you don't notice it.

Tinnitus is a bitch no two ways about it. Mine is hereditary along with Meniere's disease which is something to not look forward to. My tinnitus varies with the weather, low pressure it decreases and High pressure makes it worse. My only advice is using hearing protection when using any loud equipment and not crank the stereo system. One of the most important things is to not dread over it this will make you nuts. This started for me eighteen years ago and the first few years it just intruded on my quality of life then I started to ignore it and not let it run my life. After I settle into listening to a disc I don't even notice it anymore but it's still their just like I am hearing it now as I type. A 50/50 mix of peroxide and distilled water will clean your ears and I use Auro ear relief drops to keep the inside of the ear canal lubricated afterward. I know this is really hard to deal with but you will come to terms with it and don't let it ruin your music listening other wise it's winning. I wish you and everyone else the best with dealing with tinnitus.

Mine increased dramatically a few months ago. My first reaction was a kind of panic, almost like losing a limb or something. But to my surprise, it hasn't been nearly as invasive, limiting or fretful as I thought it would be. My brain seems to deal with things handily. And when it flares up, I just don't listen to anything. Actually, I sleep with ear plugs every night. Not only does it help me sleep, but I imagine it gives my ears a restorative break every night.

I'll check out that Auro. Thanks for the reference!

What used to get me was wondering if it really stopped for a while or did I just successfully ignore it? Then I decided that it didn't make a difference.

Hoping and trying to do something about a possible Lyme infection, I took 500mg of niacin and the resulting "flush" was strong enough to affect my left ear causing a plugged feeling and a constant low frequency hum similar to something turntable hum might produce.
I'm praying it's temporary.

Just asked my ENT about it last month. His answer....... avoid situations with an absence of sound. Stay occupied with stuff so that you don't notice it.

The unexpected thing is that I haven't found it all that much of a hardship, per se. My brain seems to have learned how to push it out of my consciousness. My fear was that it would interfere with my enjoyment of music because when I fix my attention on sound, there it is. And it does sometimes. But I guess it's like my aging body in general. I am learning to be less abusive (or suffer the consequences).

Hoping and trying to do something about a possible Lyme infection, I took 500mg of niacin and the resulting "flush" was strong enough to affect my left ear causing a plugged feeling and a constant low frequency hum similar to something turntable hum might produce.
I'm praying it's temporary.

Ouch. That sucks. Mine is like a high-pitched, pink noise. And it can get pretty loud. At least it's usually equally loud in both ears. I'd hate to be reaching for an imaginary balance knob all the time.

Back
Top Bottom