For the folicly challenged

jcamero

Who are you people anyway?
Getting frustrated with this Male Patterned Baldness. Kind of got a comb over thing going on, and pretty much sick of combing it back in place! Thinking of just cutting all my hair down to about 1/8" long, an move on with my life. When did you decide enough was enough, and give up on hair?

When my haircutter raised the price to an amount I considered unreasonable. I cut it myself with clippers and have for about 10-12 years.

At 51, I have more hair than my brother (61) and my nephews (29 & 32), but less than my Dad had when he died at 89.

I say go for it. Few things look worse than a guy who should have given it up some years ago, (nothing personal, just my .02). Not quite there yet myself, but when the time comes, off it comes.

The hurdle to be overcome is the perception of ourselves to which we are attached. Problem is nobody else has that image. They see what is visible, like a comb over, for example.

Maybe this could be an opportunity for reinvention of your look. Time and genetics conspire against many of us. Better to be a self-confident bald dude than a schmuck with a comb over, (my .02 again). Good luck, let us know how it goes. I'm betting the chicks will dig it. Speaking of which, any female feedback on the topic?

A friend of mine has long hair, wears a ball cap. Looks like a cue ball with a hula skirt without the hat. We stopped at the barber shop for a trim. He sat down in the barber's chair with the hat on, and asked for just a little off the top. Barber removed the hat and remarked, "Looks like nature beat me to it."

After awhile it just seems natural.
About 10 years ago one day I was trimming with the guard but realized there was no guard.

Now I had one serious stripe through the middle of my head and well, the only option was to buzz it down all the way!

Felt great and I have never looked back and I have some days when I just shave it down all the way.

Fortunately my wife of 31 years likes it but one thing that I will add, if your head is totally white and you don't tan, don't shave it necause your head will look like a bald baby and that's not a very good look for any man.

Just trim it down close and yur' good to go!

I'm slowly getting there. Every now and then I wish I could bring myself to grow my hair out and do a "man bun" to hide it, but then I'd just look like the old guy who wants to be hip with the kids.

Also, that "mother's father's hair" thing is crap. My granddad died in his 70s with a full head of hair. Mom's mother's father was bald, as were all of her brothers. Both of my uncles (mom's brothers) got the same lack of hair.

At 63 I can still grow a head of hair, which is thin on top but still looks full enough to keep it. Crown is very sparse. I usually buzz it about 1/4" long for keeping life simple. Wife of 38 years doesn't really like it short, but I just tell her she doesn't have to look at me. She just laughs. I just get tired of having to mess with it.

I shave ALL OF IT OFF. Cooler in the summer. I also grow a vandyke so for Halloween I look like Walter White.

It really is just so much easier, especially in these warmer months. I was keeping mine completely shaved or just short (1/4" or so) have let it grow out as of late just to see what is going on, I really need to clip it again, just haven't done it. You just need to stay on top of it, I say go for it, it's kind of liberating and you can drive a 100 miles an hour in a convertible and not a hair out of place! :D

I had red hair and as I started losing it, I told my family I didn't want to look like Bozo the Clown so I cut it really short. You can't stay young forever.

bozo-the-clown.jpg

I decided to get it down to a "bare" minimum about two years ago. I had a comb over but although it didn't look too bad from the front, it had to be just the right length. It started getting too thin on top and looked like shredded wheat when I began to have to spread it out, so off it all came. Got a great little circular electric razor that takes about five minutes and I tell myself I look tougher with it really short :D.
IMG_2075.JPG

Back
Top Bottom