Moth R. Superior

Is there any type of community/gathering/swap/club type organization based around audio enthusiasts here in St. Paul/Minneapolis or the TC area?
Is there any interest?

Well, there is these guys: https://sites.google.com/site/audiosocietyofminnesota/Home/membership, but I have to say I don't find their website conducive to getting involved. Usually out of date and no real contact info - other than that I know nothing about them.

Years ago there was an (annual?) AK event called Cobblefest, but by the time I realized it was in Mn, the final one had just happened. And a few years ago an AK member hosted a small (6 or 8 of us) gathering in St. Paul - an enjoyable afternoon, but just a one-off.

Unfortunately I don't have space to host a get-together, but if any local members have a mansion/country estate or just a very, very understanding spouse, I'd be interested in a community event.

Well, there is these guys: https://sites.google.com/site/audiosocietyofminnesota/Home/membership, but I have to say I don't find their website conducive to getting involved. Usually out of date and no real contact info - other than that I know nothing about them.

Years ago there was an (annual?) AK event called Cobblefest, but by the time I realized it was in Mn, the final one had just happened. And a few years ago an AK member hosted a small (6 or 8 of us) gathering in St. Paul - an enjoyable afternoon, but just a one-off.

Unfortunately I don't have space to host a get-together, but if any local members have a mansion/country estate or just a very, very understanding spouse, I'd be interested in a community event.

Well so far we have about a half dozen who are showing some interest. So let's do some enticing. I am not above a little organizing for a good time.

I for one have not heard a set of Magneplanar speakers ever. I do have a interest in the technology just because.
Magnepan is almost in spitting distance from my house.
I am not above inquiring to them to see if they would give a small group a tour/demo. Just for starters with no details how many would be up to meeting there?

Just like this post.
Please do not like here unless you can make a meet there.
No Idea yet when, but I would like to go tell em I have a group from a Audio Forum who would like a tour. Go from there.
There are more things can be included if we choose.

I went to an Audio Society of Minnesota open house meeting at the Pavek a few years ago. Seemed like everyone's focus was on tube gear and custom speaker builds. Nothing wrong with that, but they look down on vintage solid-state audio gear. Audio Research Corp. was deemed highly. They were looking for new membership.

Hi From the Audio Society of Minnesota,

We meet September through May at the Pavek Museum in St. Louis park MN. We regularly use our pair of Magnapan 3.6 speakers, and yes we use a lot of ARC gear, it was donated to the Museum for our use.

We have many DIYers and recording professionals in the group.

Hope to see you there.

Chuck

"Cobble in the country" was held at my house a number of years ago. Super fun time with lots of great people, gear and food. I'd consider doing it again, but probably won't be able to this summer as my schedule is packed.

The one in St. Paul was at my place. I would be down to have one again at my place in the fall. Sometime in late September or early October would be best.

"Cobble in the country" was held at my house a number of years ago. Super fun time with lots of great people, gear and food. I'd consider doing it again, but probably won't be able to this summer as my schedule is packed.

Oh my god the food!!! Fresh, on location, cherry wood smoked salmon, grilled pork egg rolls, grilled brats, salads out the whazoo and top it off with Bob's 5 day marinated steaks grilled over Jack Daniels smoking chips soaked in Jack Daniels.....epic! I got his recipe somewhere in my pile.
As for gear, 4-5 systems set up in just about every room in your place, including the garage, from SET, PP, triode and SS amps playing TTs, digital and CDs. Let's not forget the 8-10 people crammed into your 8'x8' office listening to "Rockit" at window flexing level on your KEF towers and Toby's monster Sansui receiver, and then there was Lance's (Westend) system serenading the cows in the field across the road.....jeez what a great time we had. :bigok:

I would also be interested if something were to happen. I've never met any other AKer's in the Twin Cities.

Last edited:
Count me in. I'm new to the Twin Cities, but a long time music lover and audiophile.

I would also like to know when the Audio Society of Minnesota is having their September 2017 meeting.

Count me in. I'm new to the Twin Cities, but a long time music lover and audiophile.

I would also like to know when the Audio Society of Minnesota is having their September 2017 meeting.
Welcome to the best weather on earth. Will be watching with you for a notice.

Oh my god the food!!! Fresh, on location, cherry wood smoked salmon, grilled pork egg rolls, grilled brats, salads out the whazoo and top it off with Bob's 5 day marinated steaks grilled over Jack Daniels smoking chips soaked in Jack Daniels.....epic! I got his recipe somewhere in my pile.
As for gear, 4-5 systems set up in just about every room in your place, including the garage, from SET, PP, triode and SS amps playing TTs, digital and CDs. Let's not forget the 8-10 people crammed into your 8'x8' office listening to "Rockit" at window flexing level on your KEF towers and Toby's monster Sansui receiver, and then there was Lance's (Westend) system serenading the cows in the field across the road.....jeez what a great time we had. :bigok:

That's a pretty good little summary of the shenanigans that went on. I fondly remember sipping single malt scotch and having good conversations, food, and music long into the night :)

Dunno what people are up o these days, but I make my way dwn from West Central MN to Mnpls area occassionaly.

I've been to a few ASM meetings. I don't know anyone in the club and there is a lot of insider jokes that get missed on me. I always forget about them and when I do, they were last week. I have no idea when the next meeting is and searching the link above I didn't find a next meeting date.

I've been a long time Magneplanar owner with various amps/pre amps. I have very old ones but I think they are great.

I hang out on the pioneer and kenwood sites so kind of lucky to see this thread. I'm always fixing 70s stuff and don't get much time to see what others are up to.

I live in Minnetonka and would like to meet others who enjoy vintage equipment. See my signature for what I have. My other interests include my 6 pinball machines, a Seeburg V200 jubebox from 1955 and about two dozen Zenith radios from the late 1930s.

Back
Top Bottom