Sony PlayStation 1 - Interesting

Okey dokey,

I grabbed a couple off of GW auctions: a 1001 and a 5501, each under $10. The 5501 came first, but didn't include a controller, so I had to sit on my hands a little longer. The 1001 came yesterday, so I pulled out some CDs (had to hunt for them) and gave it a spin.

And, yeah, I could listen to this thing. I played a broad selection including Coltrane's "Blue Train", a thing Sonny Rollins did in the 90s, a smattering of symphonic, Pink Floyd's "Meddle" and finished up with Black Sabbath's "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath". And I agree, smoother and more natural than any other CD player I have ever had. I still prefer vinyl or R2R (I'm old, analog is a well burnt in baseline for me), but I will probably be swapping this in every once in a while.

And I definitely see myself doing some mods.

BTW, if anyone's curious, they turn up pretty regularly, and usually cheaply, on the GW auction site.

sjfloat, your praise did not include unproveable statements, nor did you stretch the truth. Well put, sir.

The bottom line is this - these little toys reproduce music quite well.

sjfloat, your praise did not include unproveable statements, nor did you stretch the truth. Well put, sir.

The bottom line is this - these little toys reproduce music quite well.

OK, so now I'm gonna mess that all up by gushing *just a little*...

Last night I popped Pearl Jam's "No Code" into this little grey plastic curiosity.

Wow. This time I really did a double-take. I turned off the left hemisphere and sank into the sound and I found myself in a happy, familiar place very near fair Analogia. I'm sure it says something about the quality of the recording and production of the CD etc. But this synergy just killed it.

no-code.jpg

I almost
(but *not quite*)
forgot
it was a CD.

So I guess I'm buying more CDs now.

PS. Oh, and my Grados arrived yesterday too. :)

OK, so now I'm gonna mess that all up by gushing *just a little*...

Last night I popped Pearl Jam's "No Code" into this little grey plastic curiosity.

Wow. This time I really did a double-take. I turned off the left hemisphere and sank into the sound and I found myself in a happy, familiar place very near fair Analogia. I'm sure it says something about the quality of the recording and production of the CD etc. But this synergy just killed it.

View attachment 946643

I almost
(but *not quite*)
forgot
it was a CD.

So I guess I'm buying more CDs now.

PS. Oh, and my Grados arrived yesterday too. :)

My SCPH-10150 remote arrived -- even nicer. Now I just gotta goo-gone the stupid sticker off. Maybe I'll even paint it. :)

Let us know if Goo-Gone will remove that ugly sticker. I covered it with an Apple logo but I'd rather get rid of it.

I don't actually have any on hand. I do have something called Goof-off -- *not* recommended!. It seemed to start to remove the lettering and dulled the plastic a little, so I aborted. (Of course, if you're painting it, this might be a good thing). I sometimes have good luck with WD40, I'll probably try that before running out and buying Goo-Gone. Cleaning plastic is not a normal operating procedure for me. :)

I don't actually have any on hand. I do have something called Goof-off -- *not* recommended!. It seemed to start to remove the lettering and dulled the plastic a little, so I aborted. (Of course, if you're painting it, this might be a good thing). I sometimes have good luck with WD40, I'll probably try that before running out and buying Goo-Gone. Cleaning plastic is not a normal operating procedure for me. :)

Actually, I guess that's not true. I do clean a lot of plastic faceplate parts and dust covers, etc.

WD40 is my go-to for that sort of thing

The sky's the limit with customizing the PS1.

maxresdefault.jpg

Dang it....now ya'll have me wanting to get mine out and pimp it out with some cool paint and feet. Poultrygeist, that thing looks incredible!

I plan on leaving my 1001 stock for the moment freeing up the 5501 for experimentation and/or enhancement.

Very cool. I'm going to compare one (as soon as I can find it) with my Sony DVP-S7700 and see what's what. I won't feel too bad if the PS1 sounds better since I got the 7700 for under 10 bucks at the local Red White and Blue thrift.

I showed the pictures to my son the Graphics Designer / Gamer. His response " Whoa! ". Now he may be digging out that box of PS-1's he's got in his closet. :naughty:

Mark Gosdin

Just found an ad in CL Miami for a guy that has a hoard of over 100 PS1 for sale. Looks like a wholesaler of obsolete consoles. I'll give him a call to see if he will let me scavenge the serial numbers

Back
Top Bottom