Things you learn the hard way. Please contribute.

So, I need to change the valve cover gaskets on my '67 327 Chevelle. My brother bought me a torque wrench for my birthday. Cool. The torque spec is right on the gasket package. Click, click, click, snap. I learn that some torque specifications are in inch-pounds. NOT foot-pounds. That bitch leaked oil for the next 20 years. :dunno:

It seems you never have time to do a job right the first time, but you always have time to do it over.

Closely related to this: I was talking to the Director of Administration some years ago. We had replaced the original mild steel lime slakers and troughs with stainless steel. I suggested that stainless steel water towers would save money over time due to the reduction in maintenance costs. He replied "There is never money to do it right, but there is always money to do it over."

Really really make sure polarized capacitors are installed correctly before you power up the kit tube amp you just spent 100 hours carefully building. BzzzzzzzzzPOP!

Because of my spinal injury, if I drink too much Laphroaig (sigh), I literally have to drag one of my legs because it feels like rubber. The first time I noticed this little "trick", I had to drag it all the way along Leith walk in Edinburgh to my b&b. I got some funny looks from people :D.

Because of my spinal injury, if I drink too much Laphroaig (sigh), I literally have to drag one of my legs because it feels like rubber. The first time I noticed this little "trick", I had to drag it all the way along Leith walk in Edinburgh to my b&b. I got some funny looks from people :D.

I see that as an extra added feature. Once you go rubbery, you know you're done drinking for a while. I could use that! Would prevent waking up on the 8th green in a golf cart with everyone mad at me. :)

test the brakes when using a unfamiliar vehicle......... before the first traffic intersection.
Reminds me of my grandmother! She was used to no power steering or power brakes. My uncle tried to give her his vehicle that was equipped with power brakes and power steering, so she took it for a drive out here to see my parents (I own the house now). Poor little ole lady, she almost threw herself through the windshield!

When changing the fluid in your transmission, always remove the fill plug first....

(Don`t ask how I know this :) )

I have no butt and cannot ride my motorcycle as long as I would like. despite it's nice seat.

Last edited:
Don't ever attempt to live in a house while you are actually building it.

Surprising how many people here are doing just that. So many in fact that a local phrase has been coined. "Build a house, lose a spouse".

And never take more money than you can afford to spend, because you will spend it all.
Especially gambling. ALWAYS fill up a full tank of gas so you can get home( my friend failed to do this. I had to loan him money) and leave the ATM card in the glove box.

Back
Top Bottom