"Echo" is being blamed for creating impolite kids...you think?

When I want to hear music, I turn on my stereo. When I want to add to my shopping list, I get up and write on the post-it note on the fridge. If there is something I need to know, I will look it up on the computer/phone when I'm next on there, unless it's very very important and I need to know right away.

When I was young I walked five miles to and from school, barefoot, in snow, uphill both ways. People these days are too soft. LOL.

Kids today. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. And when we got home, our dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

Kids today. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. And when we got home, our dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
Luxury! we would dream about living in paper bag.....

Well, I've seen Star Trek, AKA "the future", and they don't say "please" and "thank you" when they address the "computer". They all seem like they are well-rounded people, so I think we'll be OK.

Well, I've seen Star Trek, AKA "the future", and they don't say "please" and "thank you" when they address the "computer". They all seem like they are well-rounded people, so I think we'll be OK.

Beam me up, Scotty (my Biatch)

When I was young I walked five miles to and from school, barefoot, in snow, uphill both ways. People these days are too soft. LOL.
It was always that mile swimming across the lake that got me after the barefooted, uphill 5 mile walk in the snow.
God, I hated that!

Anyways, read an article the other day bout how "Echo" is having a negative effect on the younger kids and they make use of this piece of electronic gear. No please or thank you required so some pundits think that they are transferring this impolite attitude over to the dealing with people.

Needless worry? Turning kids into tyrants, more so than they are?

Meh.... I think kids know the difference between an electronic device and a real person. If they're impolite with people, then they're probably just that way.... period. I doubt the presence or absence of the electronic device affects their demeanor one way or another.

Probably should plan your next crime spree out of earshot of Echo/Home, just in case. ;)
Also, outside earshot of your phone (which could always be listening), your computer, and anything with a mic on it. Not to mention, leaving your home where someone could have a drone listening above or a white van parked outside with listening equipment. If you are going to plan things out loud, might want to walk to a deserted location and say it. Just be sure to look for bugs first.

As a side note, most children can tell the difference between an electronic device sitting on a counter, a friend, a sibling, and an adult. They communicate with each one differently. The bigger issue is how people raise their kids these days. However, if you kid is a brat, might as well blame It on the Echo.

Twas only a matter of time until Echowars started leading the children astray. Easy to see the writing on the wall................................

Only a douchebag blames an electronic device for impolite kids.

I have the Echo and my kids (believe it or not) still know the difference between a plastic disc and a human. I find it absolutely ludicrous to blame an electronic device for the manners of a child. That's the same crazy logic the same but younger douchebags were using to blame erratic and violent behavior on video games in the 1990's. If your kid is peeling cats fur off or beating up the neighbor's toddlers, chances are he or she is a dickhead.

I highly doubt Gears of War turned a perfectly wonderful child into a serial killer. I love how with each story about a kid "broken" by electronics only the electronic gadget is taken apart and analyzed. I can't remember seeing the "news" report delving into the other aspects of the child's life and interviewing classmates and teachers about the kid. Probably because it would reveal the kid is and always has been an asshole and that doesn't get ratings.

The same with a story I heard just a few days ago. Apparently, eating french fries.... FRENCH FRIES... means you are more likely to keel over and die. A group of a few hundred people (I forget the exact number...400? 600? ) were followed for 20 years and the ones that ATE FRENCH FRIES were more likely to die. I lose respect for a reporter that fails to mention the other variables common to the "likely to die" group. Because I highly doubt that there weren't other factors involved. Ridiculous and insulting to anyone with a brain.

Seems to me people look for outside factors to blame for everything. Kids are rude? Must be the electronic talky box. It couldn't possibly be the parents not teaching manners.

I remember when I was a kid, some other kids were just rude. This pre-dates the Echo, so clearly its not the sole cause. I'm sure it must have been television or Nintendo causing it back then. At some point surely poor manners were caused by "the wireless" or pulp magazines or whatever the kids were into at the time.

Seems to me people look for outside factors to blame for everything. Kids are rude? Must be the electronic talky box. It couldn't possibly be the parents not teaching manners.

I remember when I was a kid, some other kids were just rude. This pre-dates the Echo, so clearly its not the sole cause. I'm sure it must have been television or Nintendo causing it back then. At some point surely poor manners were caused by "the wireless" or pulp magazines or whatever the kids were into at the time.

Balderdash... everyone knows Atari was the root cause of our declining social mores.

Ha! Cellphones achieved that about 10 years ago, and with our complete consent.

There's no such thing as privacy in this day and age.

My dream is to buy a small town in the mountains of northern Spain (just like Ireland, but cheaper) and open up an analog resort. No cell phones, computers or any type of recording devices allowed and absolutely no television. Entertainment would be live music, drinking and whatever else you want to do because finally, you're free from prying eyes. Except actual physical harm, of course. Need to talk to someone? Landline is right over there. Rotary. :)

I plan to call it "Ba' ku" Star Trek fans will geek out.

Back
Top Bottom