Your photo, critiqued and/or praised. It's about learning and improving.

This effort didn't work. I'll try again.

Second edit: Well that didn't help. The thumbnails are still there. Oh well, once again into the fray.

Attachments

• DSC_3462-web.jpg
    DSC_3462-web.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 11
  • sunset-mod-11x14-crop-2-bla.jpg
    sunset-mod-11x14-crop-2-bla.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 7
View attachment 913203 sunset-mod-11x14-crop-2-bla.jpg

Nikon D80. VR 55-200 @ 116mm, F/4.8 @ 125th second, ISO 400 Photoshopped with Elements 8. The original is pictured below.
Status: advanced amateur? At least I like to think so. Constructive criticism welcome. That's why I'm here.

Well, live and learn. If "View attachment 913203" is clicked the original can be seen from this post.

Attachments

• sunset-mod-11x14-crop-2-bla.jpg
    sunset-mod-11x14-crop-2-bla.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
View attachment 912928
1/400 @ F8 ISO1250 Nikon D3200 Tamron 70-300mm @300mm.
I love the colours of these birds and it's nice to see the colours on them when photographed.
This is the first time I've ever submited a photo for criticism so it will be interesting to see what I might learn.

Beautiful bird, focused perfectly and great use of depth of field. The missing tail does distract a bit, but if you were concentrating on coloration you nailed it.

The best way is to upload your image to a third party site, and then get the URL of the image and insert it here using the image icon at the top of the editing window.

Example of an image hosted on Flickr:
32774660880_453bd93aae_b.jpg
If you are looking for suggestions for improvement I have none to offer. Beautiful shot.

If you are looking for suggestions for improvement I have none to offer. Beautiful shot.
Thanks for the comment, but I was only trying to illustrate the posting technique. BTW, if your host site gives a choice of sizes to link to, max 1024x768 seems to fit most people's monitors, although I have occasionally broken this "rule" for panoramas.

Hey! Never spotted this long standing thread. Here a few test shots I did sometime in the last few years to test out a Leica M3 I had just gotten serviced. No adjustments or anything just straight scans from the negs as provided by the processor. I was pretty pleased with the performance of the serviced camera and was glad I was able to get the exposure reasonably good with the occasional use of a hand held meter (when I remembered to check it) :) I wasn't laboring over composition or anything, was mainly wanting to try various things to get a sense of how the camera performed in different situations. These are downsized quite a bit, the originals are quite sharp when I got the focus right.

000054520013_sm.jpg 000054520006_sm.jpg 000054520014_sm.jpg 000054520005_sm.jpg 000054520004_sm.jpg

Hey! Never spotted this long standing thread. Here a few test shots I did sometime in the last few years to test out a Leica M3 I had just gotten serviced. No adjustments or anything just straight scans from the negs as provided by the processor. I was pretty pleased with the performance of the serviced camera and was glad I was able to get the exposure reasonably good with the occasional use of a hand held meter (when I remembered to check it) :) I wasn't laboring over composition or anything, was mainly wanting to try various things to get a sense of how the camera performed in different situations. These are downsized quite a bit, the originals are quite sharp when I got the focus right.

View attachment 913229 View attachment 913230 View attachment 913231 View attachment 913233 View attachment 913234
Very nice. Capturing the moment is most important. You can tell especially with the man with the guitar that they're sharp. You can see the very fine hairs at the edge of his face. I found it so hard to get photos to appear sharp once uploaded. Now, I downsize them to 1200 from 6000-ish by whatever, and check the levels menu on photoshop. A little de-noising, unsharp masking, and I'm done.

I'll play. I've been shooting professionally for two years now. I have a nice side business when I have the time. I do senior portraits mostly for kids in the school district (i'm a music teacher).

These are all old captures from when I first started shooting a couple years ago. You're welcome to critique and offer some advice in post production in that I can't revisit some of these places. The three landscapes are from the badlands SD. Forgive the cheesy watermark....
DSC01488.jpg by Nathan Matthew, on Flickr
DSC00826.jpg by Nathan Matthew
DSC00211.jpg by Nathan Matthew, on Flickr
DSC00864.jpg by Nathan Matthew, on Flickr

Attachments

• 16608975900_d3925cec4f_o.jpg
    16608975900_d3925cec4f_o.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 16796291305_785acc03f6_o.jpg
    16796291305_785acc03f6_o.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 16770784216_7b26baca6a_o.jpg
    16770784216_7b26baca6a_o.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 16767840956_faa0a46705_o.jpg
    16767840956_faa0a46705_o.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
OK - questions and comments:

DSC01488:
The first thought that jumped into my mind was "should it really be this saturated?"
Is this a jpg direct from the camera, or raw? How much manipulation in LR/PS?
Cyan sky rather than pure blue, and yellowish clouds, look like an old postcard to me - was this your intent?

DSC00826:
Sunset (or sunrise) - very nice color. On close examination, the green fields above the rocks are a bit distracting to me. What would it look like if you reduced the saturation just in that area?

DSC00211: - Great punchy color; I like the composition and subject. Sky color puzzles me a bit - different hue at top vs. just above the trees on the left (the top feels more natural to me).

DSC00864: Great late day shot. I love the use of the sun flare, plus exposure to contain both the golden tones of the sunlit plants and the cooler tones in the shadow. Seeing some variation in sky hue, but only because I was sensitized to it by the shots above.

General comments: the plus side of high color saturation is that it adds to the initial wow factor, but it can also get tiring, to my eye. I'd say these are great if you are trying to sell prints, but are a bit over the top for critical appraisal, at least as viewed on a monitor. The result could be very different when printed.
Have you printed these, and how did they turn out?

Woke up this morning (ha ha sounds like a blues song) and saw this in the loch. I've a feeling I haven't prepared them properly for uploading though.
Boudicca Nassau cruise ship1.jpg
Boudicca Nassau cruise ship11.jpg
Boudicca Nassau cruise ship13.jpg

Last edited:
I just thought they were going to lose their sharpness once they got from me to the uploading. I hate when that happens. When I put the SD card into the laptop, they were pin sharp and on one of them, I was able to zoom in really close but I resized it from 6000 odd pixels wide to 1200 pixels wide and only applied 35% unsharp mask.

The best way is to upload your image to a third party site, and then get the URL of the image and insert it here using the image icon at the top of the editing window.

Example of an image hosted on Flickr:
32774660880_453bd93aae_b.jpg

The colors on this one are good, and the eyes are in focus. Everything that should be, is in focus but it's way too centered and there is just too much background that does not add anything. I would crop this one, big time. So the butterfy is in the lower left third-ish, giving him some breathing room above and to the right. I might chop out some of the right too up to that dark blob in the upper right corner which would draw the eye to the subject. i would consider giving this shot a little dark vignette too, without over doing it.

View attachment 913203 View attachment 913210

Nikon D80. VR 55-200 @ 116mm, F/4.8 @ 125th second, ISO 400 Photoshopped with Elements 8. The original is pictured below.
Status: advanced amateur? At least I like to think so. Constructive criticism welcome. That's why I'm here.

Well, live and learn. If "View attachment 913203" is clicked the original can be seen from this post.
Nice job Photoshopping. I like the composition of the original image with the tree on the left and more foreground. I like all the wires too, because it gives me more to look at. The cleaned up image feels like it's missing something.

Back
Top Bottom