A LED mod for the SX-3900, and rebuild for Reliability

zebulon1

Working on my own stuff. Finally
Subscriber
I thought I would post this thread and add to the database images of the set with the LED mod in progress.
So far I have the lamps exposed and waiting on the Mouser order.

One other thing: The entire dial, back lighting harness is missing. wire, sockets and lamps all gone. A guy horsed in two fuse type lamps and hot glued the lamps on either side of the light diffuser.

If this thread rings a bell please post your images or thoughts.

DSC04051.JPG

DSC04050.JPG

DSC04052.JPG

The original dial defuse'r lamp holders are missing so I had seen Marks replacement holder and will use that with a set of wedge LED's from eBay.
Images of the set as received:
Ecky

index.php

DSC04056.JPG

DSC04054.JPG

I received the LED's ordered from Dave.
The "White, 4mm wire lead diffused LED's with in-line circuitry" for all the selector switching indication. They fit like a glove.
So far:

DSC04066.JPG

DSC04072.JPG

DSC04071.JPG

Indicators are done. Took about 1.5 hours to complete (9 total).
The "Stereo" indicator will light in both polarities but works like it should in one way. I used jumpers and tested the indicators before connecting the leads permanently.
Waiting on the Dial lamp sockets. I see their here in town, hopefully tomorrow I can finish this job.

DSC04075.JPG

DSC04077.JPG

DSC04076.JPG

Last edited:
I finished the mod this morning and it really made the set pop.
The sockets from Mouser fit perfectly. The only issue is that the pointer string runs close to the socket wiring. I secured the socket harness to the defuser so the two do not become tangled or damaged by the tuning operation.
The dial lighting is from the "Light Blue" wedge LED's.

DSC04083.JPG

DSC04084.JPG

DSC04080.JPG

After finishing the lighting I was having reservations about the sets condition. The power supply was showing signs of stress and the tone seemed muddy in both the Bass and Treble.
Mentioning it to the owner Dennis only after some thought. Work was piling up with equipment from other clients and did I have the extra time to sort the receiver out? There was no decision really, it needed to be done. Dennis gave the go ahead and time I needed.
Here's some images of the set in work:
I thought I would add to the discussion for others working on these SX-3800 and 3900's, very similar in build.

Below is the tone and amp boards. It's not the easiest set to work. Getting the boards out requires removing the heatsink and outputs, loosening up the harness from the other boards and removing the mounting screws from the Power Supply. This allows access to the power supply and tone control boards. The trick is to de-solder the lower AC and ground leads from the PS board.
Remember to secure the dial string from unraveling from the VC pulley. I use a rubber band.

DSC04105.JPG

DSC04106.JPG

The power supply is toasted and had a previous repair, noted by a non Pioneer pass transistor.

DSC04102.JPG

DSC04097.JPG

The mounted transistors thermal paste was powder and the replacement pass transistor had nothing, no paste at all.
Below are the drivers for the left Amp.

DSC04096.JPG

Completed tone board:

DSC04103.JPG

Attachments

• DSC04104.JPG
    DSC04104.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC04100.JPG
    DSC04100.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC04099.JPG
    DSC04099.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC04098.JPG
    DSC04098.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I use the modern sill pads for the outputs. I feel they benefit from the pads over the mica/paste. The outputs get really hot on these NSA amps and the sill pads will hold up to the abuse.
I cut the pads from a sheet of material .007 inch or .19mm.

DSC04107.JPG

Some images of the before PS:

DSC04101.JPG

DSC04100.JPG

Pardon my off topic note here Zeb.
I don't recall hearing about these "Sil Pads" in place of the Micas. Google to the rescue !
Here's what I found and interesting too.

Sil-Pad� is a thermally-conductive interface material developed for the electronics industry. This flexible silicone material is designed to conduct heat away from discrete components or circuit board assemblies into a heat sink, heat spreader, or equipment chassis.

Sil-Pad� 400 is a composite of silicone rubber and fiberglass. The material is specially formulated for use as a thermally conductive insulator. The primary use for Sil-Pad� 400 is to electrically isolate power sources from heat sinks.

Sil-Pad� 400 has excellent mechanical and physical characteristics. Surfaces are pliable and allow complete surface contact with excellent heat dissipation. Sil-Pad� 400 actually improves its thermal resistance with age. The reinforcing fiberglass provides excellent cut-through resistance. Sil-Pad� 400 is non-toxic and resists damage from cleaning agents.

Features:
- Excellent thermal performance
- Eliminates the mess of grease
- More durable than mica
- Flame retardant

Back
Top Bottom