CCA and Spotify - Annoying Digital "Pop"

PAGS

I'm new to Spotify Premium and really like it. However, I get a sporadic single "pop" every 5 to 10 minutes or so from the right channel. It's not loud but it's pretty annoying. I'm not sure of the cause. The signal path is:

WiFi > Chromecast Audio > optical Toslink > DAC in CD player (Marantz SA-8005) > tube integrated (Line Magnetic 211-IA) > speakers

I’m using a cheap Android tablet to control CCA and Spotify.

Possible causes: (A) a faulty Toslink cable, or (B) something with the DAC, although I don't get the pop when playing CDs. To test this theory, I figure I can run the CCA directly into the integrated with an RCA cable, using the DAC in the CCA.

Any other thoughts?

Yeah, you can try that. Set it first on "Full Dynamic Range".
What app are you using on tablet? What's the source (DLNA)?

I am using Windows 10 sharing (WMP12) on the source and Hi-Fi Cast as Android controller.
CCA is set to full dynamic range. Have to plead ignorance on the questions. Using Spotify and CCA apps. DLNA? Not a clue.

Tablet is a cheap Verizon Ellipsis 7.

Of course, tonight haven't got the pop...so far. Thinking out loud, I'm wondering if maybe the pop is caused by something electrical in the house cycling on.

Ah, Spotify, sorry I missed that and assumed you play your own FLAC files. All that fancy equipment for mp3's :D

Any other thoughts?

A quick few off my cuff....

1. Play it through the tablet only for 20-30 minutes. Pops?
2. Clear the Spotify cache & data on the tablet. Test
3. Uninstall/reinstall Spotify. Try again

Have you tried the internal DAC of the CCA? I think it sounds great all by itself. I cast Google Play Music through mine (as well as my personal collection of FLAC files through Plex) and no pops.

Of course, tonight haven't got the pop...so far. Thinking out loud, I'm wondering if maybe the pop is caused by something electrical in the house cycling on.

Power cycling would be my guess - if you have a portable battery pack that can be used to charge phones on the go, I would try substituting that and see if the issue goes away (if it comes back)

Mike

No "pop" when using a 3.5 mm to RCA cable directly into amp. Must be either the Toslink optical cable or the SACD player that I'm using as an external DAC. Good excuse to buy a stand-alone DAC. :D

I eliminated the possibility of a bad optical connection in the CCA. I get the same sporadic pop when using a different CCA unit.

Ordered a DAC, an SMSL Sanskrit 6, to see if it "pops." The unit seems to get good reviews from other members and it's only a little over $100. For the the limited fidelity of Spotify (320 kbps), I figure it didn't make sense for go all out for something more pricey.

Ive a Marantz NA8005 as well....and Spotify premium sounds glorious! No pops! I'm using my smart phone as the remote for Spotify and it works flawless

Ordered a DAC, an SMSL Sanskrit 6, to see if it "pops." The unit seems to get good reviews from other members and it's only a little over $100. For the the limited fidelity of Spotify (320 kbps), I figure it didn't make sense for go all out for something more pricey.
Oh......I see you have the SA8005....sorry.

I have Spotify Premium and run it through the 3.5mm headphone jack on two different cell phones and I have the app on my PS4. On the cell phones I use airplane mode (they are not in service anyway I just have them connected to my wifi) and it sounds great. The only problem I have had with going right from the headphone jack direct to the amp is I had to buy a better quality cable to get rid of em noise. I think the fewer things between the source and the receiver the better.

I read the article below when it came out and I believe it 100%

http://www.audioholics.com/frequent...-need-an-external-digital-to-analog-converter

Unless you hear background noise, one does not really need an external DAC.

I have Spotify Premium and run it through the 3.5mm headphone jack on two different cell phones and I have the app on my PS4. On the cell phones I use airplane mode (they are not in service anyway I just have them connected to my wifi) and it sounds great. The only problem I have had with going right from the headphone jack direct to the amp is I had to buy a better quality cable to get rid of em noise. I think the fewer things between the source and the receiver the better.

I read the article below when it came out and I believe it 100%

http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/dac-do-you-need-an-external-digital-to-analog-converter

Unless you hear background noise, one does not really need an external DAC

I agree mostly with this, one reason why I haven't yet jumped on a external DAC for my CCA's is that they really are "Good Enough" for my needs.

Eric

I agree mostly with this, one reason why I haven't yet jumped on a external DAC for my CCA's is that they really are "Good Enough" for my needs.

Eric

A lot of people search for a problem so they can solve it with a new piece of equipment. The OP admitted the problem went away when using the headphone jack.

Back
Top Bottom