Do you have a favorite supplier of outdoor clothing ?

Camphor, ems, rei, .
If i can wait and it comes around Sierra trading post.
In a bind, I've gone to paragon sports in Manhattan. Pricey though.

I picked up a vest at Duluth Trading co.
I had to see what the buzz was about TV ads and such.. The store has a LL.bean feel to it.

Best-

Boozehound

Last edited:
I've been buying Kuhl pants lately. I like the lightweight styles, great for travel, hiking, working or everyday.. Also have buying some Woolrich shirts. Really dig the Duluth Trading clothing, but they don't fit what I need. A company I work with makes DTC's socks. Made in USA and top quality work socks.

Nice stuff. Great for getting in and out of the water (canoes, kayaks). I need some new Kuhl shorts w/o cargo pockets since my kids make fun of cargo pants, calling them "dad pants."

Heh. Yeah, that time for cargo pants/shorts seems to have come. I still love them, but depending on the occasion I'll think about wearing something else.

I've been buying Kuhl pants lately. I like the lightweight styles, great for travel, hiking, working or everyday.. Also have buying some Woolrich shirts. Really dig the Duluth Trading clothing, but they don't fit what I need. A company I work with makes DTC's socks. Made in USA and top quality work socks.

Based on the discussion here, I ordered a few pairs of Kuhl pants today. Looking forward to them. I usually wear a dress shirt/pants for work, but can slide by on something a little more casual as long as I don't look like a slob. I'm thinking those should work well for that.

I'll probably check out some of the other brands mentioned as well.

Over the decades, I`ve dealt with many vendors.... Campmor, Eastern Mountain Sports, Eddie Bauer, L.L. Bean, and others. The last few years, I have gravitated to Bailey`s (Laytonville, Ca.), they cater mainly to the logging/arborist trade, and carry LOTS of clothing for the working man. Pants, jeans, and jackets by Carhartt, Ben Davis, Dickies, Viking, Wrangler, Big Bill, Key, Wild Ass, Berne, and Prison Blues ("Made on the inside, to be worn on the outside"). All kinds of tools, chainsaws, you name it....anything timber-related, they have it.
Decent prices, too.

My other favorite is Duluth Trading Co., They have a lot of top-quality, hard-wearing gear. Their commercials crack me up, too :)
C

Ditto on the Red Wing boots. You can go from a leisurely dog walk, to a mountain hike, to a tap room, with nothing but comfort and panache. They last forever, making them a great value in spite of their cost and, most importantly, chicks dig 'em.

02-044851-how_to_break_in_your_first_pair_of_red_wing_boots.jpg

I've always owned Chippewa Odessas but my last set is getting a bit beat up. Been curious about Red Wing and a factory store opened up by me recently.

Those look like their Iron Rangers, I like them. They make them in black so that might be my next set if they fit like the Chippewas do.

chippewa-odessa-black-6-inch-work-boot-20028-13.gif

The 'Nam era OG 107 ripstop togs, including tie-bottom trousers, shirts (short-, log-, and a few modified 3/4-sleeved utility shirts), assorted jungle jackets, "hot weather" caps, and the many dozens of similar items I bought up as a young'un @ Ft Bragg yard sales in the late '70s. Shit still fits and ripstop means ripstop -- not a single garment purchased @ those days is ripped through some 38 years later.

PS: forgot to include the jackets. several, all still intact as well.

I have some early 80's olive drab US Army shirts. I got them new at a flea market this summer for $1 each. These things wear like iron. Was told the were sanforized which makes the cotton more rugged. Whatever was done to it the seem impervious to abrasion & brush snags. The other thing I use is an 80s era M65 field jacket w/ liner. It's in the old Euro theater Woodland camo, it's another one that wears really well.

Work clothes is something I'm rather frugal with and for good reason. We winter in New Braunfels, TX which is 15 to 20 min. Northeast of San Antonio. So, we don't see much REAL cold and we can't lay anything when it's too cold. Hot mix (asphalt) would set up too fast and millings gives us problems too or so I've been told.

My work boots are Justin. I bought them in Midland, TX in May. Boots from Walmart just don't cut.

The rest of my work clothes I buy from Walmart, dollar stores, etc. T-shirts are thin, breathable, light colored and cheap. They're perfect for laying hot asphalt in the summer. They can get as stained as they want, even a little torn as long as they're still wearable.

Jeans are mostly Wrangler from WM. Well made for $16 a pair.

I wear Dickies work socks which are terrific and reasonably priced.

I have some thermals, flannel shirts, sweatshirts and jackets that I don't get much use out of. Got 'em just in case. My foreman got me a rain jacket for Christmas.

Obviously, my formula won't work for everyone, but if you don't work in extreme cold, it just might work for you.

Nearly every piece of new outdoor clothing I've bought recently has a China tag on it. No issues with that as they (so far) seem well made and fit. Made my first aliexpress clothing purchase a week ago. I buy electronic bits from them all the time but never wearables. This piece had good reivews so we'll see if it is total junk. It was under $14 shipped. It looks like will be good with my Kuhl shell -

2017-New-Fashion-Mens-Hoodies-Brand-Men-Lattice-Jacquard-Sweatshirt-Male-Hoody-Hip-Hop-Autumn-Winter.jpg_640x640.jpg

Great thread!

+1 for MHW
upload_2018-1-17_11-36-2.png
I work outside often and MHW has always been well-worn with me. A few years ago they were acquired by Columbia but their quality seems to still cary over and the warranty is a good one.

Also, although made in China, Woolrich (no affil.) has some great corduroy shirts called, The Hemlock II. Very rugged & well made, 100% cotton.

upload_2018-1-17_11-45-8.png

Back
Top Bottom