ex-Sansui engineers on Japanese news - youtube video ( in japanese)

smurfer77

This link was sent to me by an ex-sansui engineer this week. It's a youtube video (in japanese) showing ex-Sansui engineers and their "Sansui products restore fab". Apparently this made it onto the TV over there.

Not much tech activity in the video but still some good amp eye candy. I notice that their solder sucker is a lot better than mine. Also, I notice when they removed dust they didn't blow with compressed air (which can force dust into parts where it wouldn't usually get to), but used a brush + vacuum.

Must find some translation... I want to know what they are saying.

Take a look 3:22 where the amp carried over to the turntable is an AU-9500... up to 3:44... then refurbish magic and the amp at 3:45 has transformed into - what? A later model, I can't tell if he is saying likes the old one or the new one better, but notice the music doesn't skip a beat.

Very cool!! Period test gear as well, not a digital scope in sight!!
I recognise an HP334A Distortion Analyser in the array of test gear, they can measure down to 0.1% distortion at full scale, maybe only just good enough to measure some of the really low distortion figures quoted for some Sansui Amplifiers. :)

Last edited:
that is pretty neat!

the engrish subs on youtube are amusing:

sansui2.JPG

sansui3.JPG

In general they have been getting Sansui units from 1st owners, but many from young folks that inherited it from their father/family with the most common complaint being: 'Noise can be heard coming through, but no audio..."
Some units come in very 'rusty', and 'dusty'.

Final testing includes listening test using vinyl to ensure the 'equalizer' is working correctly.

Sansui = Mountain Water (direct translation). So these guys took 'water' from 'sui' of Sansui, and named themselves Aqua Audio.

I can't see the attachment, but assume that its a bottle of water with a label 'Mountain Water'.

Anyways, that is just a direct translation and obviously has a deeper meaning than that. Something like, as 'pure' as Mountain water, or as 'powerful' as water running down a mountain. I'm an engineer by trade, so I'll leave it to the liberal arts folks to conjure up a more meaningful translation of Sansui.

Actually Sansui or Mountain Water has different meaning, in Chinese Sansui refer to a certain style of calligraphy where mountain and water is the subject of the painting. Or the deeper meaning is how great is the country's geography.

Back
Top Bottom