Coping with Tinnitus

Headphones, headsets and earbuds are known hearing killers. I wear my Stax at night in the bedroom, for TV, to save the peace; so to speak. I keep the level very normal and I don't have issues. If I crank them with music, i get my own personal distortion. Not too good.

So I'm finding.

I stood in front of a Marshall stack for many years let alone cranking the shit out of my various stereos for just as long.
My advice? Crank it louder and you won't hear that hum in your ears :)

So, please, tell us how that's worked for you long term, Mr Townshend?? ;)

I say that jokingly, but I've had tinitus for many years - I blame it on a BBA concert MANY years ago, and some early TDream shows - they used huge amps and stacks in the 70s-80s, very clean but also VERY LOUD! (R.I.P. Edgar Froese) ...

For me, its like a constant sssssshhhhhhhhh background noise - I mostly try to not dwell on it ...

Last edited:
Ok, not to draw this out excessively. But I'm gathering that I myself probably should keep headphone use to a minimum. Have any of you that have trouble tolerating headphones tried near field listening at low levels as an alternative?

that's a doctor for ya, mask the symptom

Well I'm not so sure that's bad advice. As far as I know there's not really any cure. And the fact of the matter is that I don't notice it most of the time since there are other things going on, various noises and sounds, etc.

BTW, mine is supposedly related to my years of work in an industrial environment. Really annoying as I was super religious about wearing my OSHA approved hearing protection.

I have a fairly severe case caused by decades of the usual suspects......but now I NEVER wear headphones, ever. I bought a new set last year, used them a few hours (too loudly) and it took a week for me to get back to my usual level of noise. I shoot at an indoor gun range and now I double up with insertable ear plugs AND use a really good set of over the ear units. I also shoot less with my Mosin Nagant rifle............. it sounds like God clearing his throat when shot indoors.

Crazy idea warning:

So, it's disappointing, but I'm afraid the Grados may have to go. But before they do, I thought I might try a simple notch filter tuned to the spike in their response.

But then it occurred to me that it's not really the phones that are broken, but my *ears*. Would it be crazy to use such a filter more generally? I mean, if there's a range that's degrading my hearing, maybe I should try to relieve myself of it for *all* my listening, in order to better preserve my hearing. The question becomes, how do I determine the troublesome frequency that my ears are overly sensitive to? Since the Grados seem to nail it pretty well, I could start with notching out that spike. But is it possible to identify the problem frequencies in my hearing? Is it likely to correlate to the frequency of the ringing in my ears?

I have always been obsessed with quiet environments. In fact, I have added extra insulation to automobiles, put quieter mufflers on lawn mowers, weatherstripped exterior doors, etc. I even have a fond memory of riding in a 1972 Buick Electra 225, and enjoying the splendid quietness of the ride.

You would think, then, that my tinnitus would drive me crazy. However, it really does not bother me. There are even times when I notice it and think "Wow, that's really loud" (It is not always the same degree of loudness). If I could cut down on the amount of caffeine I consume, that might help.

I was one of the first to start wearing ear protection, but that was not common in my youth. Had it been more acceptable, maybe my hearing would be better than it is. One event stands out: we had a school assembly with a rock band at ear-splitting volume. Our ears rang for quite a while afterword. One of the teachers walked out of the "concert". I wished that I could have followed him out, but as a student, that was not an option.

I've never cared for cans honestly, but I do a lot of relatively nearfield stuff at low volume. My shop speakers are both reachable from my chair but I have to lean to reach. Call it 4 feet?

I also like quiet, which is a big reason why I keep contemplating messing with the exhaust on my Lincoln. It has an annoying drone at ~55 in overdrive. My own fault, it didn't do that stock. I have added a bunch of noise insulation to help tame it though. Also the single best thing about my house. Basic construction is concrete block. Outside its stucco, with insulated aluminum siding over that. Inside its rock lathe (drywall basically) with about an inch of plaster over that. Double pane windows, good steel exterior doors. The world largely goes away when I go inside. The house sucks but its quiet :)

Interesting. So my ears were *raging* yesterday, I believe from having listened to my Grados a day or two before. But I went out to The Cave of Solitude last night and listened for several hours (and maybe drank one beer too many in the process). I expected to pay an unhappy price this morning. And, if anything, I think it may be a little *less* severe today.

I don't know what to make of it. Again, my *only* concern is that I'm not trashing what remains of my hearing (it needs to last just a *little* longer :) ).

Has anyone tried any kind of "sound therapy" like this one? I have very mild tinnitus, so I haven't delved into this at all, but I came across this in some other context, and thought it was interesting. I have no idea of the science behind it, but it seems intriguing. It sounds like some new studies suggest that tinnitus actually originates in the audio cortex of the brain, rather that in the ear. I would be curious to hear opinions.

And here is an article explaining the idea in more depth.

I've had tinitus for many years - I blame it on a BBA concert MANY years ago, and some early TDream shows - they used huge amps and stacks in the 70s-80s, very clean but also VERY LOUD! (R.I.P. Edgar Froese) ...
For me, its like a constant sssssshhhhhhhhh background noise - I mostly try to not dwell on it ...

First I have to ask who is BBA? I had hearing loss after a Edger Winter concert in about 74 sitting right in front of the speakers. I'm having a hissssssss sound in my left ear right now. I've worn ear plugs for many years whenever it's noisey (mowing, hammering, power tools, at work, concerts ect....) I don't think mine has gotten worse and it's probably not all that bad.

Has anyone tried any kind of "sound therapy" like this one? I have very mild tinnitus, so I haven't delved into this at all, but I came across this in some other context, and thought it was interesting. I have no idea of the science behind it, but it seems intriguing. It sounds like some new studies suggest that tinnitus actually originates in the audio cortex of the brain, rather that in the ear. I would be curious to hear opinions.

And here is an article explaining the idea in more depth.

I have had a look at sound therapy. I've gone as far as checking out one of those online noise generators. My ring seems to be tuned to about 9 kHz. A disappointing side note is that my high-end hearing doesn't go a *lot* higher (I guess I should probably be able to save money I might be spending on better gear). The idea, as I understand it, is that if you feed your ears a pitched noise at the same frequency, your brain and/or ears will *stop* creating the ring, which it supposedly does as compensation.

I tried it at work the other day. I share an office with a coworker. So I was using the noise generator through some very nice isolating headphones my employer provides to me. I tweaked things till I found what seemed to be the right frequency and turned it down to be barely audible. It did seem to have interesting effects on the ring. But then my (younger) office-mate wags his hand in front of my face to get my attention.

He says, "What is that you're listening to?!".

"You can hear that?", I ask.

"Oh, yeah, it's really loud!".

"You hear it through my headphones?"

"Yeah, I can step out of the office and hear it out in the hallway".

"You hear it right now?"

"Definitely"

I heard nothing.

Then I turned if off.

"How 'bout now?"

"Nope"

"Well, now *I* do"

Hmm.

Last edited:
I have had a look at sound therapy. I've gone as far as checking out one of those online noise generators. My ring seems to be tuned to about 9 kHz. A disappointing side note is that my high-end hearing doesn't go a *lot* higher (I guess I should probably be able to save money I might be spending on better gear). The idea, as I understand it, is that if you feed your ears a pitched noise at the same frequency, your brain and/or ears will *stop* creating the ring, which it supposedly does as compensation.

I tried it at work the other day. I share an office with a coworker. So I was using the noise generator through some very nice isolating headphones my employer provides to me. I tweaked things till I found what seemed to be the right frequency and turned it down to be barely audible. It did seem to have interesting effects on the ring. But then my (younger) office-mate wags his hand in front of my face to get my attention.

He says, "What is that you're listening to?!".

"You can hear that?", I ask.

"Oh, yeah, it's really loud!".

"You hear it through my headphones?"

"Yeah, I can step out of the office and hear it out in the hallway".

"You hear it right now?"

"Definitely"

I heard nothing.

Then I turned if off.

"How 'bout now?"

"Nope"

"Well, now *I* do"

Hmm.

Also, the noise generated by the app does sounds somewhat similar to my ring. But the bandpass filter my head/ears are using are higher order. :)

BBA = Beck, Bogert & Appice - a hard rock supergroup and power trio formed by guitarist Jeff Beck and evolving from The Jeff Beck Group.
The line up included bassist Tim Bogert and drummer Carmine Appice who were both previously in Vanilla Fudge and Cactus. (courtesy Wikipedia)
Yeah, they were REALLY LOUD (*circa 1973) MacDonough Arena at Georgetown University, DC.
I started standing by the left front monitor and moved away and to the back after my ears started ringing badly!
I probably ought to get earplugs but I don't do many shows any more, and rarely wear headphones (never earbuds)

First I have to ask who is BBA? I had hearing loss after a Edger Winter concert in about 74 sitting right in front of the speakers. I'm having a hissssssss sound in my left ear right now. I've worn ear plugs for many years whenever it's noisey (mowing, hammering, power tools, at work, concerts ect....) I don't think mine has gotten worse and it's probably not all that bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom