Elusive Ellington

Jay Kay

Does anyone know anything about the CD: Duke Ellington - Never No Lament? It's a very highly regarded
3 CD best of recording (apparently a remastered, reissue of the earlier set The Blanton - Webster Band). Amazon only has it as a $57 Japanese import, or used. Discogs doesn't seem to have any available. Looks to be out of print otherwise, but that's surprising given it's importance. Anyway, just curious if anyone has any thoughts about this.

It's a really nice collection of tunes from that era of Duke's band. And a damn fine band at that.

My copy is just a library rip, but I enjoy it.
Don't quote me, but I seem to recall it having a nice booklet.

How familiar are you with Ellington's output?

One suggestion I'd make is to get a mod to move this to the Music section.
There are some big Duke fans over there that might be able to help who do not venture over here much, if at all.

Thanks so much! Certainly not as familiar with Ellington as I should be. Didn't realize I was in the wrong area, I'll try to get it moved.

Thanks so much! Certainly not as familiar with Ellington as I should be. Didn't realize I was in the wrong area, I'll try to get it moved.

Yeah, that's kind of steep pricewise, I'm thinking. You might be able to get some or all of that material on vinyl, somewhere, maybe for less. But these days, who knows? I'm not sure of all of what's out.

BTW, are you still playing the XB?

Hi Gannon! Absolutely playing the XB,
still going strong. Also, listening to lots of jazz, you (and the TT) reawakened my interest.

For something like the Ellington set though, I'm sometimes more inclined to stay in the CD world, where the analog chain isn't as important to me.

Hope all is well!

still going strong. Also, listening to lots of jazz, you (and the TT) reawakened my interest.

For something like the Ellington set though, I'm sometimes more inclined to stay in the CD world, where the analog chain isn't as important to me.

Hope all is well!

Hey, that's great! Really glad you're digging the XB and that it found a good home. Come on over to the Jazz Playlist if you get a chance. A whole bunch of us hang out there including KrisM, who posted above. Let us know if you get that Ellington CD.

Everything is fine, and hope all's well with you too!

I have a picture of the XB if you dig up my post in the "tell us about your system" thread. I love it! I'll check out the jazz playlist thread, also. Thanks!

I have a picture of the XB if you dig up my post in the "tell us about your system" thread. I love it! I'll check out the jazz playlist thread, also. Thanks!

I'll check it out for sure, Jay. And BTW, it looked to me like you could pick up the Ellington CD for a little less than the price you quoted. I don't know if we're allowed to throw around numbers here unless we're in the Dollars and Sense forum, but go back to Amazon and check it out. I'll look up the "system" thread for sure. And come and join us on the Jazz Playlist anytime!

Hope all is well!
I think a lot of this material was from the 78 era? Don't quote me, but if that's the case going with CD material might be easier.
This set certainly packs a lot of great material into one package.

If you're not too familiar with Ellington, and want to dig deeper and stick with vinyl, the Columbia stuff is a great path to take.
Not too spendy if you shop around, and those albums are great. I've got a real soft spot for them. I dig all of his stuff, but that era is like jazz comfort food for me. Most of my copies are CD, but I've got a couple on vinyl. One was a sealed 6-eye I stumbled on a few years ago!

When you're talking XB, is it an AR?

I completely agree, and I just love the way it looks when a record is spinning and the arm is down. Simple and elegant. I was listening to a Music Matters 33 rpm release (only have three, bought before the price hike, yet another discussion) of Joe Henderson's Page One last night and my wife commented on the clarity and intimacy of the sound. Now, of course it's a great recording etc., but I think the AR adds to the pleasure.

Ok, back to the topic. I went ahead and got the earlier remastering of the Ellington CD, The Blanton - Webster Band. Maybe if I can swing the Japanese release at some point I can do my own comparison. For now, however, I think this will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom