SX1980 Power supply board ...... OH NOOOOOOOO!!!!

There's always something 'extra' that crops up after a big job and just when you're think you're done..hehe. Good to hear that its running like a Swiss clock now and so it should! Those push button switches on the Pioneers are a pain to get to on some models as well. A QRX8001? I worked on one of those a few years ago :)

Yeah, I think it would have been a bad move to slap the front back on and hope the switches would be all good.
We all know by this time (some 40 years after birth) these switches need the full dismantle service, and I am so glad I did it.....
It really is running well, we had Dire Straits Love over Gold cranking today, punching up around 200watts plus in the peaks in Private Investigations.....
The sound was really really impressive......

I taped my temp probe onto the bottom of the unit, where the vent is right below the AWR-154, and the hottest it got under there today was 22.1˚C......So I am pretty happy with that...

QRX was easy, dodgy LED (front illumination), and the rotary source selector switch, the shaft has no glue holding it from sliding out (maybe too much deoxit)....So I engineered a bracket to prevent the shaft from being able to slide out.... Yeah, there are a lot of wires, pass-throughs, and boards everywhere.....I'm glad I didn't have to pull the board the switches are mounted on, worse than any Pioneer I've seen.....

Lamps still haven't turned up, oh what a shame, I'll have to spend all day listening to the SX-1980 again!!.:yikes:

Those are electric Jug's full of water, 4 of them in parallel to make 7.9Ω, 2200watts each, so nearly 9,000 watt load right there, I run the Crown Macro-techs up on that load.
What else can you tell me about your test load. Is it home built? Is it wirewound resisters in water?

What else can you tell me about your test load. Is it home built? Is it wirewound resisters in water?

The jugs are full of water, the jug elements are wired in parallel which makes 7.9Ω. Job done.....I do have another 480watt load which is 8 x 60watt 4Ω resistors in series parallel (out of a very old computer mainframe power supply of all things), I run guitar amps and the likes into that one simply because it has a 1/4" Jack cable on it.....The electric jugs have a banana plug.....

The Lamps turned up, Warm white LED. So this brings me to the end of the job on this wonderful SX-1980, I was really pleased with the way it came out and it was nice to spend some time this last week listening to it, I have always wanted to hear one, and now I have, and extensively.
Here's some shots of the lighting from the LED's, I really like it, makes the unit look very sharp. I was always an advocate for keeping things as original as possible and using incandescent bulbs, I didn't like LED lighting to start with, but now the LED technology has really come along and LED's are excellent now...
IMG_4657.JPG IMG_4658.JPG IMG_4659.JPG

Bunch of enablers! :rflmao:
Come little XX80:naughty:.... Come!:naughty:
Yeah thats pretty much it......There's a SX-1980 on the bay for restore, unfortunately its a domestic USA model so no good to me down here where we are 230V.....
I need to get an export model.....Booooooo....

There will be one out there somewhere, definitely consider a SX-1280 too......
Enablers is right!!

A SX1080 or 1280, will do it for me, but I haven't seen one local.:smoke:
Ditto, either way I'll be having to acquire one from the USA and have it shipped here.....I might put a WTB in Bartertown, see if that brings me anything....

at least our variacs will go to 110v no problem . are you on 50 or 60hz ? just thinking about transformer heat .

at least our variacs will go to 110v no problem . are you on 50 or 60hz ? just thinking about transformer heat .

we are 230VAC 50hz +/- 6%...
I could use a step down, I own other 120V gear...but they are pre-amps so not really an issue, I don't really want to run such a powerful amplifier on a stepdown if I can avoid it...

we are 230VAC 50hz +/- 6%...
I could use a step down, I own other 120V gear...but they are pre-amps so not really an issue, I don't really want to run such a powerful amplifier on a stepdown if I can avoid it...
made me think because i have had for many years a very large american rv 12v power supply unit . i have never bothered trying it as i know it will run too hot .. shame really as good do with using it .

made me think because i have had for many years a very large american rv 12v power supply unit . i have never bothered trying it as i know it will run too hot .. shame really as good do with using it .

I think for small appliances you can get away with it no problems. Once you're into much bigger power transformers I think thats when you'll have issues...

Back
Top Bottom