Just Finished My Downdraft Sanding Table

elcoholic

Jet Fuel Genius
Subscriber
Nearly five years ago I posted about building one of these. Well after 3 years of getting around to and 2 years in Atlanta it finally made it to the the top of my projects list. I kept it simple and cheap using a couple of 20" box fans I had on hand, 24"x24" pleated filters, some window screen for the pre-filter, a 1/4 sheet of hardboard for the baffle and a 1/4 sheet of pegboard for the top. I had a bunch of surplus IKEA phenolic back splash panels to enclose the sides of the frame. Originally I tried enclosing the bottom, using no filters and connecting a 4" hose from my 2hp duct collector thinking the fans would pull the dust in from the surface and the dust collector would pull the dust from the cabinet. It didn't work. Too much turbulence and static pressure such that there was very little suction above the fans and in some places reverse airflow.
The fun part was perforating the top which I did last with the fans running. After a couple hours I had punched the required 946 3/4" holes with my big plunge router. This brought it to just under 50% open. The table did a pretty good job of eating it's own dust but the 3hp router's dust velocity is too much for it.
The table is a secondary system meant to pull off and filter what the the Fein vac hooked to my sanders misses. Hopefully I'll be able to continue working with the tropicals and walnut I love but have become sensitized to without wearing a respirator. Time and my sinuses will tell.
IMG_0116.jpg IMG_0117.jpg IMG_0118.jpg

Sadly there was some collateral damage. When flattening the support grid for the top a shallow screw became a 'shiner' and deeply gouged the bottom of my prized Lie Nielson #4 bench plane. Made me a bit sick to f' up my plane. A couple hours of lapping the sole and grinding & honing a new bevel on the iron will set it right but that's not much of a consolation for shortening an heirloom quality tool's life by 25 or 30 years.
IMG_0120.jpg

Sadly there was some collateral damage. When flattening the support grid for the top a shallow screw became a 'shiner' and deeply gouged the bottom of my prized Lie Nielson #4 bench plane. Made me a bit sick to f' up my plane. A couple hours of lapping the sole and grinding & honing a new bevel on the iron will set it right but that's not much of a consolation for shortening an heirloom quality tool's life by 25 or 30 years.
View attachment 951091

That looks nice. Sorrt to hear about the #4. As you know, that's a quality plane.

Looks good !

I have that same vacuum cleaner hooked to my compound miter saw. It's the quietest shop style vacuum there is.

Fein rules !

That looks nice. Sorrt to hear about the #4. As you know, that's a quality plane.
The L-N's are wonderful tools. I also have the small shoulder, chisel, and the adjustable mouth low angle block which gets the most use. In addition to the L-N's I have #5 & #7 Bailey's. I had a very nice #4 Record I left with my son shedding weight for the recent move. I would have much rather dinged it.
Thats awesome! you do know we must see inside;)
OK I'll take some more pics and post soon.
Looks good !

I have that same vacuum cleaner hooked to my compound miter saw. It's the quietest shop style vacuum there is.

Fein rules !
Yes and they filter to 1 micron while pulling nearly 100 inches of water. The bypass cooling is a great feature also. I have a second one I can use for vacuum clamping all day and it won't overheat the motor.

Almost looks like you re-purposed a console stereo cabinet. Maybe thats actually a good way to recycle a crappy console.

Yes it does have the basic proportions for a console. The dimensions were derived from a 24x48 sheet of pegboard and the height to match my table saw. It will do double duty as an infeed table.

So many projects , so little time .
Looks good .

Regarding the plane , I "strongly dislike" (insert cussword ) when that happens , been there .

Regards F.

Nice job. You appear to be very serious regarding dust management. Sorry about your plane.

The scratch in the sole of your plane really sucks! But instead of relapping the sole to get rid of the scratch and losing all of that material, you could just leave it. I doubt it will affect the performance of the plane, so maybe just work on the blade first and see how it does.

hey - that is a great project, and I am very envious! I truly hate sanding and do work out my garage like you and in the basement. Cherry also gets to my nose, especially if I burn it! I need to find an adequate over-arm dust extractor for my Delta TS.

For AK content, do you have a stereo in your shop? I am using my Yamaha CR-640 with JBL L20s. I hate to get that dusty, so I use towels and cardboard to cover them.

I too have the same Fein vac. It is so nice - powerful and quiet. Shame about the plane. I too lust for LN. Visited the HQ up in Warren, ME once. I have their low angle jack, shoulder and small block planes along with a set of chisels.

hey - that is a great project, and I am very envious! I truly hate sanding and do work out my garage like you and in the basement. Cherry also gets to my nose, especially if I burn it! I need to find an adequate over-arm dust extractor for my Delta TS.

For AK content, do you have a stereo in your shop? I am using my Yamaha CR-640 with JBL L20s. I hate to get that dusty, so I use towels and cardboard to cover them.

I too have the same Fein vac. It is so nice - powerful and quiet. Shame about the plane. I too lust for LN. Visited the HQ up in Warren, ME once. I have their low angle jack, shoulder and small block planes along with a set of chisels.

I usually do have a receiver and speaker system in my shop and use an iPod and 30-pin dock cable. For the first time in many years I don't. For the time being just my older-than-dirt JVC boom box sitting on top of the SCMS dust hood. It's so old - dual cassette, pre-CD and I'm amazed that it still works.

I have a miter saw and have been struggling with how to capture dust. It has a little inlet behind the head for a hose, but only 2" or less diameter and it just doesn't catch it all. I like your big box arrangement.

Was planning to make a ceiling mounted air cleaner. Actually wall mounted, behind the vertical pipe coming out of the woodstove. Fans will be repurposed dehumidifier fans, and the filters, I got a pile of 12x20 very cheap at the Habitat Restore. The breeze from the filter will help extract some extra heat from the chimney pipe, and it will clean the air in the process.

I have a miter saw and have been struggling with how to capture dust. It has a little inlet behind the head for a hose, but only 2" or less diameter and it just doesn't catch it all. I like your big box arrangement.

Was planning to make a ceiling mounted air cleaner. Actually wall mounted, behind the vertical pipe coming out of the woodstove. Fans will be repurposed dehumidifier fans, and the filters, I got a pile of 12x20 very cheap at the Habitat Restore. The breeze from the filter will help extract some extra heat from the chimney pipe, and it will clean the air in the process.

I run a 4" hose from the DC to a tee fitting below the box. A 4" runs to flange connector for the box and a 2 1/2" hose runs to the SCMS with an adaptor fitting. Good luck with your air cleaner project.

No, but neither does the squirrel cage blower in my Jet air filtration system which is of course UL. This is probably because the air supply is filtered. My 2 hp dust collector does have a TEFC motor and a sparkless impeller. Both of which make a lot of sense. The box fan motors don't have starting switches or any arcing contacts so my guess is they are shaded pole induction motors. I think I'm good.

I have the equivalent of a fume hood for mine, heavy dust falls and the lighter stuff gets sucked up. No vacuum system seems to work adequately on chop saws

It can't have good suction is it's not loud! ;-)

Shah !

That Fein is a third cousin, twice removed from R2D2. You can see the resemblance.

The exhaust port goes all the way the motor-head. It out sucks a 6hp Shop Vac, and just makes a 'whooshing' noise.

Back
Top Bottom