Sansui AU-9500 matched with Wharfedales E-70?

Ronald.C

Good afternoon fellows, I wonder if a Sansui AU-9500 would be a good match for the E70 wharfedale. Currently the Wharfedale are playing along with a Sansui G-22,000 but I think they get a bit too strident for my taste, I wanted a more warm sound, and I think the AU-9500 will give me more tone options And that they might "marry" better with them. I just do not know if the power will be enough. What do you think?

I would also like to thank all the members of the forum for always helping me almost immediately and being so friendly and supportive!

Wow, I've been reading some posts about the bad sound of my G-22,000 that I'm thinking of selling it !!! Would it be the right thing to do? ... but I like your look so much ...! Here in Brazil there are some interesting models for sale:

AU-717;
AU-919;
AU-9500;
AU-D11;
AU-D11 ll
Some Alpha models (but these I do not want because they are 100v)

I really liked my 9090db receiver but I was looking for a more detailed sound with the same punchy bass as the 9090db!

I have to say I listen a lot of FM radios, so I like receivers! If I buy an integrated amplifier and sell the G-22000 I will have to find a matching tuner, like AU-717 / TU-717!

Sell a big 'G', wow. Anyways, with the kind of funds that would provide your options for Sansui are pretty wide open.
Separates will be imho the better route to take.
AU-20000/TU-9900
CA-2000/BA-2000/TU-9900
CA3000/BA3000/TU-9900
Once you get above this level things will get really expensive and will let the newer series owners chime in.
And, hope you have a great tech nearby to bring this gear back to spec, in fact the G22000 if dialed in will pretty much give the separates a run for their money until you pin down speakers that really suit your ears and listening tastes as well as the room they are in.
Also, the big 'G's have exceptional tuners in them, my G9000 tuner after alignment is the best in the shop. The aligned TU-517 (almost the same internally as the TU-717) does really well too if just a bit fussier with multipath rejection.
Finally, my G9000 really came alive after restoration with much better bass response, that reminds me, one of these days I need to rebuild those oval caps although they measured fine for esr when I checked them last.

Sell a big 'G', wow. Anyways, with the kind of funds that would provide your options for Sansui are pretty wide open.
Separates will be imho the better route to take.
AU-20000/TU-9900
CA-2000/BA-2000/TU-9900
CA3000/BA3000/TU-9900
Once you get above this level things will get really expensive and will let the newer series owners chime in.
And, hope you have a great tech nearby to bring this gear back to spec, in fact the G22000 if dialed in will pretty much give the separates a run for their money until you pin down speakers that really suit your ears and listening tastes as well as the room they are in.
Also, the big 'G's have exceptional tuners in them, my G9000 tuner after alignment is the best in the shop. The aligned TU-517 (almost the same internally as the TU-717) does really well too if just a bit fussier with multipath rejection.
Finally, my G9000 really came alive after restoration with much better bass response, that reminds me, one of these days I need to rebuild those oval caps although they measured fine for esr when I checked them last.

My Sansui G-22000 has been revised and I followed the service, it is factory specifications. I believe that what makes me not really like the sound is the tonality of the preamp!

I would like to test with other speakers before changing the G-22000 (a beautiful beast) or looking for a 9500. It is possible that the sound you are looking for is in the change of the speakers instead of the amplifier. You are talking about high-end (high-priced too) amplifiers.
The AU717 / TU717 combo will not disappoint you if you are looking for punchy bass, and its lowest price (about 700 eur in Europe). They are fantastically built amplifiers ..

beside the Wharfedale I have a pair of JBL 4430, and I've had several speakers connected to the G-22,000. I believe that only those who have had a G-22,000 know what I'm talking about !!!

I've always liked speakers with high sensitivity like the wharfedale (94db), I think we hear the details better. My question is if the au 9500 would have power to play with authority (bass punchy) the wharfedale!

Wow, I've been reading some posts about the bad sound of my G-22,000 that I'm thinking of selling it !!! Would it be the right thing to do? ... but I like your look so much ...! Here in Brazil there are some interesting models for sale:

AU-717;
AU-919;
AU-9500;
AU-D11;
AU-D11 ll

I really liked my 9090db receiver but I was looking for a more detailed sound with the same punchy bass as the 9090db!

All those amplifiers you have listed above are all in the same family of design except the AU9500.
Especially the AU-DII's, they have a similar type of sound to the G22K.
I owned and listened extensively to the G22K and the AU-DII.....I think they are similar sounding, but the G22K edges out in front, has a bit more "weight" in its sound. Both are very precise and detailed.

The AU9500 I found was a bit bloated in the low end and brash in the top end for me, BUT a very impressive amp and in its element reproducing rock music, great mid range.
They are grunty sounding amps....
The 9090DB and this would include the QRX9001/8001 as well (same power-amp driver) are a very nice evolution and development from the AU9500 in my opinion, it would be the perfect middle ground between the 22K and the 9500....

When I had my G22k I ended up using an active crossover and using a Crown Macrotech on my low end speakers, that gave me the actual weight necessary in my system whilst giving that amazing detailed mid range and top end I think is almost second to none from the G22K .
The pre-amp is not the issue, it was running my bi-amped system and sounded very very good, I was very happy with the sound...

If you like the AU9500 sound then you should probably stay away from those later Direct coupled Diamond differential designs.....AU-DII, AU-X1, 717, 919, 907 and that sort of thing.....

In summary, sounds to me like you need a 9090DB....

I have a pair of Wharfedale E70's...
I have paired them up with all my Sui...555A/9500/999/D11...
Its been a while since I've used the 9500/E70s and from memory I thought they sounded reasonable...nothing special...
I like the 9500's punch...and the E70's detail...but together...:dunno:
I preferred the E70's paired with my Kevzep modded 999 as well as my D11...:hug:
Its easier on my ears and brain to listen to detail within my Jazz CDs without being tired out...

I have a pair of Wharfedale E70's...
I have paired them up with all my Sui...555A/9500/999/D11...
Its been a while since I've used the 9500/E70s and from memory I thought they sounded reasonable...nothing special...
I like the 9500's punch...and the E70's detail...but together...:dunno:
I preferred the E70's paired with my Kevzep modded 999 as well as my D11...:hug:
Its easier on my ears and brain to listen to detail within my Jazz CDs without being tired out...
But the videos I watched on YouTube with the AU 9500 I noticed great detail in the sound, with a lot of weight on the bass!

Yeah they're excellent speakers, i've got a pair of E50s too. I use them for rock/dance type stuff, basically they fill in for what my B&Ws can't do so well.
Good, I'm not the only one who admires the sound of Wharfedale's !!! And to think that here in Brazil some people advised me to exchange for new speakers! According to them it would be the weak link in my system !!! I laughed!!!

AU-717;
AU-919;
AU-9500;
AU-D11;
AU-D11 ll

hey - I am looking at a tu-9500 for a good price. I do not have the matching amp... yet... and would perhaps pair it with my au-517 in that interim. Thoughts on that? Do not and better to buy a tu-217 or tu517 and or shelf the tu-9500 until I find the amp..?? :p

Back
Top Bottom