Tannoy westminster royals build

I have never even heard Tannoy speakers, but this build is impressive any way one looks at it. Your project looks great, better than great.

Thanks for all the great comments, i have been very distracted latley because my mum is very sick so havnt had much time to work on them thats why they havnt changed much but im hopefully going to have time after work this week just hard to get motivated after a full day of work plus its getting very cold but we will see. Also any thought on adding the extra support timber to the back will it change the sound ?

I am not sure on what adding the extra support timber will do to the sound. A lot, I am sure, would depend on Tannoy's original idea on rigidness for their cabinet. Did they intend to have a very rigid cabinet? Or, did they want some flex? I know Snell wanted rigid cabinets, yet Audio Note (they use Snell designs) wants flexible cabinets. I fully modified a set of Snell E II speakers with new cabinets made from Northern Birch plywood. I also replaced the stock Snell drivers with new Audio Note drivers. This should have been a possible problem because of the differences in ideas on cabinet rigidness, but it worked great. IMHO, don't over think this. If you cabinet measurements are the same as the originals, and you are going to use drivers that spec to the originals the added bracing should not be an issue. I am no expert in this area, but so far everything I have done on modifications of speakers has worked. The speaker may not sound as the original designer intended, but they still sound good. And when it gets right down to it, isn't is all about good sound?

IMHO, when we are talking about sound REPRODUCING speakers, the more rigid, the better. The stock ones, as intended by Tannoy, were certainly colored
cause of the flexing, you want the original RECORDING sound, not the Tannoy sound.

Yes I did the The bracing because ive read complaints about owners having them and after a few years the cabinets started rattling and coming loose so i didnt want to take any chances as I want them to last many years. im also going around all my inner edges with wood glue (not the flat panels just corners and edges) to make sure they are air tight. another thing i was looking at was building a back to the cavity were the crossovers are as originals are open but that is part of the main chamber and pressure will be on the back of the crossover and i dont want any rattle or unwanted pressure on the crossovers ? should i or am i being anal?

Well forgot a step lol looking at them tonight and realised before i stain i need to glue the outer trimmings on so when i stain its all the same colour so clamped and glued them tonight. I did stain the inside ones because they have to be done off the speaker so stain doesnt seep onto the front panels. 20170615_212400.jpg 20170615_212339.jpg 20170615_211821.jpg 20170615_210454.jpg 20170615_184218.jpg 20170615_181315.jpg

Dude, your skills are just next level. Tier one shizzle. Nice and your workshop area is to die for.

You are extremely skillful at your craft.

To tell you the truth, I'd be very interested in how many PMs that you have received regarding this build,... members wanting to know intricate details and quite possibly you being commissioned for private, custom work.

Congratulations!

I have had a few but most are overseas and Im sorry but this was a huge build and i dont think ill take it on again haha i have had a couple of people want to buy them as well 2 from australia.
Yes i cant wait to get them together and hear them but this stage is the finnishing stage and cant be rushed im trying so hard not to. If i take my time doing all the fidly bits now once there finished i cant say I should have done this or that im a little bit OCD but ive seen a couple of sets built overseas and there not bad but you can see by the end they got over it and there are some bits that look average and short cuts and it just brings the finished product quality down.

Back
Top Bottom