Katy Perry, 1st, 100 million, twitter

eljr

Koyaanisqatsi
Katy Perry breaks Twitter record by becoming first person with 100 million followers

Found this in today's headlines.

I recognized the name and knew she was some sort of pop singer, maybe western. I am not sure.

So I look her up. I see she has released 5 albums to date. None very highly regarded.

So I have a question, why does she have more followers than anyone else on the globe?

My commentary is more to us as humans. Why do we tend to revere actors, recording stars and athletes above our scientists and researchers?

Katy Perry breaks Twitter record by becoming first person with 100 million followers

Found this in today's headlines.

I recognized the name and knew she was some sort of pop singer, maybe western. I am not sure.

So I look her up. I see she has released 5 albums to date. None very highly regarded.

So I have a question, why does she have more followers than anyone else on the globe?

My commentary is more to us as humans. Why do we tend to revere actors, recording stars and athletes above our scientists and researchers?

I, for one, prefer that respected researchers and academic colleagues eschew such crass popularity-cum-braggadocio media forms as twit(ter), facefright, etc.

As for why one "Katy Perry, Popstar" has amassed (as many as) 1 million (so-called) followers? Mindless herd activity of persons wanna be seen / be scene.

Just my dva kopecks. Opinions will vary.

I, for one, prefer that respected researchers and academic colleagues eschew such crass popularity-cum-braggadocio media forms as twit(ter), facefright, etc.

As for why one "Katy Perry, Popstar" has amassed (as many as) 1 million (so-called) followers? Mindless herd activity of persons wanna be seen / be scene.

Just my dva kopecks. Opinions will vary.

twitter is but a thought delivery tool... seems to me what we need is more awareness

This made me wonder, are people I respect in science and physiological using twitter to communicate? i am sure they are and I am remiss in not previously seeking them out. I will now. Thanks for the idea.

Your apparent ridicule of Facebook I find interesting too. What is it about Facebook that makes you call it "facefright?"

but all this ignores my question, why is it humans regal entertainers above those that propel the species?

Time to google that guy. Or is it a woman?

LOL, after my live concert from Berlin this morning, 5 am NYC time, I put on a CD of hers for the first time.

Much better than I ever would have though. Surprised me.

Good to know what and why in the society we are a part of. IMO.

The commodification of the former is achieved w/ (far) greater alacrity and ease than the latter. That said, media have done a fairly good job of selling Dr Hawking, but he is sufficiently freakish, special, and intriguing enough to have garnered "entertainment celebrity" status. Sagan also but to (far) lesser extent. S. J. Gould had his "day in the sun" re: celebrity, but things got serious and it didn't last.

Ask Jimmy The Greek.
Or Zorba the Greek.

zorba-the-greek-DI-3.jpg

The commodification of the former is achieved w/ (far) greater alacrity and ease than the latter. That said, media have done a fairly good job of selling Dr Hawking, but he is sufficiently freakish, special, and intriguing enough to have garnered "entertainment celebrity" status. Sagan also but to (far) lesser extent. S. J. Gould had his "day in the sun" re: celebrity, but things got serious and it didn't last.
Don't forget Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

hx5DDQAAQBAJ

Wait -- I got it: the guy (and maybe also a gal?) who brought wild animals onto the Carson set throughout all those years of The Tonight Show!

I do not think you want to go down that road as you'll get ejected from AK for delving into corrupt politics and political agenda peddling.

how does an exploration of the human psyche delve into politics?

I mean anything can but that is on the posters that tries to tie it in.

I've watch this a couple of times. I like it.
Twitter is a sickness, IMHO. I don't mean 'sickness' like the young people use the word.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom