New speaker addition--Infinity RS-5 (1982?)

McBru6177

One Way or Another
Really enjoying my latest find: the Infinity Reference Standard Five (RS 5). I believe they are from 1982 and include an early version of the Emit tweeter and the Polydome midrange. The 6" woofers have been re-foamed and re-coned by a previous owner. While they are not the original cones, they sound fantastic. Compared to my KEF 103.2, they excel in the high notes. The bass is nice and tight, not boomy; and the mid-range is quite pronounced,

While these are from the heyday of Infinity, I couldn't find very much info about them except for the Infinity Classic site, which has some limited information. It doesn't help that Infinity re-used their model names. I think they had several "RS5" speakers in the 80s and 90s. So if anyone has some details on these speakers, let me know.

Infinity-1.JPG Infinity-3.JPG
Infinity-2.JPG

Infinity-4.JPG

Infinity-5.JPG

Infinity-6.JPG

Thanks for all the comments guys. These Infinitys are keepers. Nice highs/mids, but not ear piercing. I thinks my Kefs have just a bit more bass, no doubt from the larger driver, But it's fun to switch, and A/B, the two sets of speakers depending on the chosen tunes.

Omg what a find you have there. Lucky you. I have the RS 5b's. Guess that makes you my big brother :banana:

Always wanted a little brother...to boss around:whip:

Btw, love your avatar. The 5bs look very nice and from what I have found on the Net, have very favourable reviews.

...still hard to find much on the RS5 though. My guess is that the RS5b replaced the RS5 after a short run (1-2 years?).

Back
Top Bottom