JBL 4560 cabs: factory or clones?

elitopus

Addicted Member
I picked up some pro audio gear this week. Someone was moving and needed to get rid of a bunch of stuff cheap.

Anyways, in the lot of stuff is a pair of 4560 cabs. Can someone tell me if they are factory or not?

They are made out of plywood. They have a textured finish on them. If someone did build these at home, they did an excellent job.

They have all the internal bracing they should. Plus a nicely finished removable back panel for driver access.

Now of course they are pretty beat up from a band hauling them around. But nothing a new paint job can't fix.

Thanks
IMG_8870.JPG IMG_8871.JPG IMG_8868.JPG IMG_8869.JPG

Last edited:
I never knew, or even heard, of anyone making 4560s at home, they're a more difficult build than the Altec 825 because of the horn being flared in all four directions. I think there were companies that made clones though.

I think you'll like those, they can sound great. I had a beater pair I was given (no, I won't use gift as a verb, I hate that) that I used as my surround speakers, I gave (gifted?!&@) them to a pal and he sanded and repainted them and they came out nice.

I do think they are factory cabs because of the fit and finish. They even have what looks like the duraflex epoxy finish.

I have read a bit about them, and am curious to try them out against my Altec 828 cabs.

Now I just need to get some JBL woofers! I got a single working LE15a with the stuff. Maybe I can find a mate for it.

Also got one each EV 15b and 15L woofer. I need to decide which one I like better and try to find a mate for it also.

The 4560 cabs were empty.

I have been looking for a pair of JBL 2225 or 2226 anyways. 2225 seem to be a slightly better deal. And I could have them reconed as 2235.

IMG_8888.JPG IMG_8889.JPG IMG_8890.JPG And while I have y'alls attention, any idea what model mid this is? It was in a 3 way EV cabinet with a 15" woofer and horn.

The mid has its own enclosure, and a magnet bigger than the cone.

Yes I had to take the back off to see what was under there:naughty:

Notice the washers are covered in cadmium dust:eek:

EV Interface D Series II?????????

attachment.php

GeeDeeEmm

The mighty EV vented midrange. The notion was to get cone sound and horn compression-driver output by using the cone vented like a woofer, thereby cutting the excursion and lowering distortion and increasing dynamics. The venting also allowed the use of a huge magnet and overdamped cone for higher efficiency without losing lower midrange. A very clever idea though evidently there wasn't much demand for it. Kind of Lowtherish, doncha think? EV used it in pro stage cabinets intended for pianos and other keyboard instruments.

The EV PL15 appears to have come in two versions, one in veneer, and the other in Tolex for prosound use. I wasn't familiar with this model, but it makes sense that EV would not have developed that cool midrange for use in only one model.

hqdefault.jpg

GeeDeeEmm

The EV is interesting for sure. I wonder what HF horn and driver would have come in that cab? I am curious to hear it in stock form.

Mine is the tolex version. It is intact except for the horn and HF driver. And who knows what the guy I got the speakers from did with it. They were in a shed that had a half collapsed roof on one side.
With all the rain we have been getting, all the speakers would have been soaked soon

Here is a pic of the xover. Is the thing on the left some kind of limiter circuit? Looks like transistorsIMG_8904.JPG

There was a company here in Montreal the 1970's that made JBL knockoffs (especially 4560's) called ''Sound Crew''. Generally referred to as ''Sound Screw'', as they did not use JBL drivers and blew up constantly,the cabinets were absolutely perfect copies in fit,finish and build quality.They are almost impossible to tell from the originals.Traynor also had a Soundcrew lineup that was unrelated.

At this point I'm pretty happy with the build quality either way. I began cleaning them today so I can refinish them.

Thinking about replacing the fiberglass insulation inside. Its dirty and pulled apart in some places. Plus these kind of smell like a shed:)

I'm also trying to decide on an exterior finish. When I patch and sand the nicks and rough spots, its going to take off the textured finish. Thinking about sanding them smooth and then using some other epoxy finish. Like a garage floor finish.

I opened the other cabinet up. To my surprise it had a working woofer in it. Imagine that. Not JBL though. Kustom.

This cab had the access panel replaced with a piece of unpainted plywood. I'll have to make it match its mate.

This cab does not have any insulation in it. The build looks the same as the other though
IMG_8914.JPG

I threw an Eminence driver in the first cab, and listened to some music while I cleaned the second cab.
The mid bass is excellent. Its the "hit you in the chest" midbass that only a horn loaded woofer can really do right.

I was listening to some Tab Benoit

Eli, I would be thrilled to death to have stumbled across those EVs. With a little tuning up and updating, I'll bet they would make some great home speakers. While I prefer veneer, there are a number of interesting paint schemes out there just waiting to make those EVs sparkle. Be sure to post pics of your progress. I wish I had your present run of good luck in finding some really nice speakers. Watching.

GeeDeeEmm

Eli, I would be thrilled to death to have stumbled across those EVs. With a little tuning up and updating, I'll bet they would make some great home speakers. While I prefer veneer, there are a number of interesting paint schemes out there just waiting to make those EVs sparkle. Be sure to post pics of your progress. I wish I had your present run of good luck in finding some really nice speakers. Watching.

GeeDeeEmm

Unfortunately I only have one of the EV 3 way speakers. I did get a few other things in this haul.

1 pair JBL 4560 cabs
1 EV Pl-15-3 (minus horn)
1 pair Altec 811 horns with 807 drivers
1 pair Altec 809-8a xovers.
1 JBL LE15a
1 EV 15B
1 EV 15L
3 Eminence 15" woofers
1 Pair Kustom 15" woofers (1 good and 1 bad)

Plus a few more blown 15" woofers, 2 bass cabs, and a 15" wedge.
I already gave away one of the bass cabs and the wedge. I needed the space back. I still have the other bass cab.

I have been telling my wife that I am in need of a good "deal". Then I saw this ad mentioning Altec on craigslist. The guy would not tell me what he had over the phone. Honestly I don't think he knew what model numbers etc. When he was helping me load up, I was telling him what everything was. Trying not to sound too excited of course.

I paid him 100$ and drove away quickly:banana:

I would have paid 100$ for just the JBL cabs. Honestly I think the seller was just happy to clean out his shed. He said he was moving soon and could not take it all with him.

I got a good chuckle about the way you ordered your list: good stuff to not so good stuff! Just the way any good gear monger does it! I'm proud of you.

GeeDeeEmm

Back
Top Bottom