One Hit Wonder Hall of Fame

An amazing compilation thus far. I always wondered why some of these artists never managed to pull off another hit as their 15 minutes of fame was brilliant in many cases. Did they freak out? Did they try too hard for a repeat? Did success go to their head or heads? Maybe they broke up after, or they just got frightened by the thought of being stars... Maybe the idea of touring didn't sit well..

An amazing compilation thus far. I always wondered why some of these artists never managed to pull off another hit as their 15 minutes of fame was brilliant in many cases. Did they freak out? Did they try too hard for a repeat? Did success go to their head or heads? Maybe they broke up after, or they just got frightened by the thought of being stars... Maybe the idea of touring didn't sit well..
I think, at least in the cases where I've bought the album, the rest of their tunes were NOTHING like the hit song.
Though possibly in some cases they sounded like a lesser rehash of the same tune.:dunno:

BTW, here's another one for the archives:
Tin Tin - Toast and Marmalade for Tea

Last edited:
I remember when I was in high school in '70 and we moved to Petaluma, CA. It didn't take long to hear that Norman Greenbaum (Spirit in the Sky) lived on a goat farm not far from town. Last I heard he is still living around there- I think goat farming was to his liking more than Rock Starring!

valvenator- one of my favorites too & I beat you to it!

LOL! :idea: I think think would be the polar opposite of bands that dropped off the face of the earth

Start a thread of your own, "bands that dropped off the face of the earth with one hit song"

It doesn't happen that way unless someone dies. And in reality Pink Floyd did after the wall

Last edited:
Start a thread of your own, "bands that dropped of the face of the earth with one hit song"
Well this is One Hit Wonder Hall of Fame which is pretty much the same thing, isn't it?
I would think that a band that spent a record number of weeks (917) in the top 200 wouldn't count.
edit: correction: 1500 weeks...and counting

Last edited:

Maybe the studios that promoted them to fame put their resources elsewhere?

I'm not going to search for the video of: Incense & Peppermints by Strawberry Alarm Clock
or
Yummy Yummy Yummy I got Love in my Tujmmy by 1910 Fruitgum Company....

Yummy Yummy Yummy was by the Ohio Express, not 1910 Fruitgum Company, and neither group belongs on this list.
Ohio Express also charted with Chewy Chewy, Down at Lulu's and Mercy.
1910 had three Top 5 Billboard hits: Simon Says, 1, 2, 3 Red Light, and Indian Giver

Now, Joey Levine, the lead singer for Ohio Express, qualifies for this HOF as lead vocalist on 1974's Life is a Rock (But the Radio Rolled Me) by Reunion:

The king of one-hit wonders is Tony Burrows ... ... was the lead singer on 5 different hit records by 5 different groups: Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) - Edison Lighthouse; My Baby Loves Lovin' - White Plains; United We Stand - Brotherhood of Man; Gimme Dat Ding - The Pipkins, which all charted in 1970; and Beach Baby by First Class in 1974.

That is a fascinating bit of trivia, thanks for sharing it in your post.

Back
Top Bottom