Chicago Thorens, Arcam, Harmon/Kardon, Apt/Holman, Magnepan

Oh - details prob help

Thorens 115-d w Shure V-15 (works flawlessly)
Bryston B2
Arcam CDP (24-bit)
Apt/Holman Preamp
Maggie 12-qr (mint w ppwk and xtra fuses/attenuators)
Harmon Kardon Tuner

High Quality interconnects; fm ant; and signet 22's (headphones) as well as a high quality record brush as well thrown in too

That's some nice equipment. Apt/Holman's alone approach $400.00 on the Bay. I'd be curious what all this went for.

I paid $400 so I think I did good. The Apt/Holman needs service everything else works as it should.

Interestingly enough I was planning on selling the Maggie's but my WAF is higher on them then my Paradigm 5se mi2's!!! So they are staying... thank you guys for making me feel better!!!!

Welcome to AK, from a fellow Chicagoan! My trusted tech guy is Casper from http://stereorehab.com/. He has repaired/recapped about a dozen amps, receivers and turntables for me over the years. Does excellent work and stands by it with a one year warranty. He won't let you waste your money either.

Thanks for the tip Tom!! I may bring it in to have it tested, but for now I have fixed the immediate problem. Some guy put a 30v relay in it, I swapped it out for the right one and it sounds pretty darn good!!!

Just an update on this score- I ended up selling the CD Player for $250 on eBay and kept the rest, the magnepam speakers seduced me and my wife, and the Thorens 115 shure HE v-15 brings out the best in the best records (unfortunately it also reveals all flaws, I can only play about 20% of my collection on it) I do miss the Arcam, but when I looked at what I would miss the least of all the components it was w/o a doubt the CD player. Thx guys for chiming in earlier!

V-15 HR-P it did not replace any turntable. I still have my Technics SL-D2, on the other system. Previously the living room was surround sound, now it's stereo. Technics lives in the Man-attic (Surround sound, Stereo Seperates, and 2.1 systems). I just sorted all records into good enough for Living Room, and Sounds Better in Attic (I e beat up) and placed them in thier area's.

Thank you. I'm not familiar with the V-15 HR-P (see V-15 model list here) and wonder if HR-P is stylus model. The SL-D2 is a solid turntable with about the same (or better) specs as the Thorens. I wouldn't think the turntable is responsible for the big difference in sound. HOWEVER, cartridges do make a huge difference, so if the cartridge or stylus on the SL-D2 are inferior, I'd think that is where the difference is coming from (assuming the SL-D2 is otherwise set up properly).

Having said that, I'm not a turntable expert, though I play one on tv. Also, please forgive me for sidetracking this thread into cartridges -- awesome score.

Thanks! And No Problem! The arm on the Thorens is better, overall build on Technics better in my opinion. The HR-P is a p-mount variety of the III OR IV version. Hyper-Ridge, P Mount. My cart on the Tech is an XLM II Improved - I am going to do a comparison eventually but it's a pain to change the cart on the Wand on the Thorens. Thanks for your feedback!!!

Back
Top Bottom