Vincent pho-700 phono pre! Does anyone own one?

skynyrd77

my cousin got one of these Vincent pho-700 phono pre's! It sounds horrible
Does anyone else have one? If so what are your personal thoughts! He's tried rolling a few au'7's but that hasn't helped!
Thoughts???

I owned some Vincent components about 5/6 years ago (SA-31 preamp and SP-T100 monoblocks). Back then they were all the rage and the next new thing. The Vincent gear was one of the worst purchases I have ever made in the roughly 15 years I have been in this hobby.

I would send it back and look elsewhere. If there's every an issue with it, support and service will be a nightmare. Plan to toss it in the trash and move on with life if it ever fails.

He's having trouble at every turn! He got a Vincent intergrated and the phono for like 2 or 3 grand and first day the volume knob fell off. No one would take it back and Vincent told him to super glue it!!!

WTF? Seriously? Unbelievable. The thing that turns me off about this stuff is that it seems like it's just Chi-Fi gear rebranded with a fancy name on it and sold at high prices. Audio Advisor pushes it hard, which always makes me suspicious. I'm sure other dealers do too. There is a site where one guy took apart one of their CD players and found fake parts inside. It was supposed to have a tube output stage but the tube were wired in for a light show and didn't even do anything. Another guy took apart a couple phono pres and different parts inside each one, like a different cut-rate subcontractor in China made them even though they were the same exact model.

I don't have anything against China made gear but the way Vincent goes about things just stinks to high heaven.

He's having trouble at every turn! He got a Vincent intergrated and the phono for like 2 or 3 grand and first day the volume knob fell off. No one would take it back and Vincent told him to super glue it!!!

Yup....unfortunately more of the same will be in store for him the longer he owns it. There's a reason you hear next to nothing about this brand now; talk and discussion of these products has all but disappeared.

Any of the Rogue Audio integrates with built in phono would be a much better solution. I have owned their preamps and monoblocks. Excellent company that stands behind their products and supports customers.

He went through Van L speakerworks in Chicago! I was trying to find him used modwright but he wanted a intergrated and understandably he couldn't afford modwright! The worst part was he lives outside of Grand Rapids Michigan ordered it from van L in Chicago and we drove and picked it up and it was mailed to van l from audio advisor right down the road from his house!!! A bunk deal all around

He went through Van L speakerworks in Chicago! I was trying to find him used modwright but he wanted a intergrated and understandably he couldn't afford modwright! The worst part was he lives outside of Grand Rapids Michigan ordered it from van L in Chicago and we drove and picked it up and it was mailed to van l from audio advisor right down the road from his house!!! A bunk deal all around

Good grief. What a screwed up round about way to conduct business.

For the sort of money he dropped on those units, he could have had a very nice McIntosh or Marantz integrated. Guaranteed to hold it's value much....much....better.

Unless I am mistaken, a lot of the dealers that carried Vincent have dropped the line. I just don't hear anything about them any more.

Yeah hes not even a Vincent dealer!!! The worst part was he was looking at McIntosh but van l shyed him away saying they are Chinese junk now and how Vincent was such a solid unit for the loot!! While van l is using 10k tubbed mono blocks and 5k wires and his own 5k speakers. Then goes and suggests Vincent over McIntosh?? Wow
Last time I was there he was using a cary amp and modwright pre!! Blows me away how this has all went down

What a shady dealer....or geographically ignorant....maybe both. Not sure when NY became part of China. :rflmao:

I despise dealers that trash other brands they don't represent. Especially a legendary brand like Mac, that doesn't even belong in the same sentence when comparing it with a brand like Vincent.

Let us know how this works out for him.

Last edited:
When I was getting catalogs from Audio Advisor I noticed the Vincent audio equipment listed, the name Vincent was new to me and also the origin of mfg. My personal suspicions are now confirmed that the Vincent equipment was squarely aimed at buyers who were new to audio and had more money than experience to spend on questionable products. Maybe it was ignorance on my part but I purchase only well known brands that have had a long history of high quality products which limits me to vintage equipment for the most part. My recent experience with audio dealers has been very positive and it is sad to hear of any that give the industry a bad name.

If you want a high quality phono stage, I would suggest looking at the Manley Chinook, the Rogue Audio Ares, the K&K Maxed-Out Phono, or the Herron VTPH-2A.

They are all fine products that will work well.

:rflmao:

I despise dealers that trash other brands they don't represent. Especially a legendary brand like Mac, that doesn't even belong in the same sentence when comparing it with a brand like Vincent.

Truer words. I will walk out of a shop if i hear someone do that. And to say it about Mac, come on.

I personally am running a modwright amp/pre with onboard tubed phono!and van l's shop was where I was first turned onto modwright! He's a super high end store. I'm still stupefied that he sold him the Vincent! After he paid Van l was trying to sell him some 3k per foot interconnects!!! He had so many more options even if he was trying to make a quick sale!

I have a Vincent SV 237 integrated amp and love it. Bought it from Audio Advisor. Had a problem with the remote and they just sent me a new one.

I know lots of Vincent owners.....they all love their Vincent gear. And Vincent sells lots of gear in the states as well.....Audioadvisor is the USA importer. Vincent has been made in Germany for the last few years. Vincent had their share of issues about ten years ago with some parts, but has corrected those issues that same year. And lets not think other popular brands don't have issues because they do.
my cousin got one of these Vincent pho-700 phono pre's! It sounds horrible
Does anyone else have one? If so what are your personal thoughts! He's tried rolling a few au'7's but that hasn't helped!
Thoughts???
This is the first I've heard a negative report about that item. How long has he had it? Lots of consumer positive reviews about that amp.

Last edited:
The 237 is what the volume knob fell off of first day
I've had that amp in my house for about 2 months. Borrowed it from my dealer. Wonderful amp...made in Germany. Are you telling us all the facts? The first day the knob fell off the SV 237? That amp cost $2400......That product has a warranty......Do you see why that's hard to believe?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom