Looking at Yamaha Amp - worried about reviews

SpicySammich

All, I had been 100% set on the A-S501 as my next amp replacing a Sansui 2000a.

While overall the 'Sui sounds good, I am looking for more detail and better pacing. I listen to mostly punk (Clash, Pistols, Misfits, Bad Brains), alternative (Christian Death, Cult, REM), a little metal (Life of Agony, Mastodon, Sabbath) and in the last year reggae (specifically Dub).

Warm but crisp would be a good set of adjectives for what I want to accomplish.

What worries me is a few reviews that say the amp lacks pacing and excitement. Since I am not listening to jazz (though I have a dozen albums) I want a less laid back sound with good energy.

Many have written the Marantz PM6005 is better in this regard (but then also said it lacks punch, which seems to be a contradiction).

Anyone with the 501 listening to these types of music have any thoughts on this?

System:

Debut Carbon -> Ortofon 2M Blue -> Amp -> Focal 807v's on stands.

We have both in the store and the Yamaha tends to have a more neutral, accurate, not colored sound. Paired with the right speakers it is a very nice amp. The Marantz PM-6006 is very different. A shade darker, and more front and centered, musical. I wouldn't call one better then the other they are different and great on their ways. Both also sound similar to their vintage heritage.

If you have any questions about the two amps feel free to shoot me an email.

Much as I like the 2000 series, it's probably not the ideal choice for what you like to listen to. If it hasn't been rebuilt, it's almost certainly a bit tired. The Yamaha has about four times the power, and vastly better specs in every other regard. It also bests the PM-6006 for power and the rest. I tend to like Yamaha amplification. Specs aren't everything, but don't discount that power margin.

Much as I like the 2000 series, it's probably not the ideal choice for what you like to listen to. If it hasn't been rebuilt, it's almost certainly a bit tired. The Yamaha has about four times the power, and vastly better specs in every other regard. It also bests the PM-6006 for power and the rest. I tend to like Yamaha amplification. Specs aren't everything, but don't discount that power margin.
I certainly wouldn't disagree one bit. I guess the review specifically pointed out that faster music "confused the sound". Given much of my music is fast, this concerns me whereas the same reviewer said the Marantz has better pacing.

I've owned a Yammy in the past but it was a long time ago and I had completely different speakers and ears (and expectations). The only additive here is that it was defective and ultimately replaced with an Audio Dynamics c-2000e. I recall liking the sound of it (both the Yammy and the AD) and recall they had a different sound.

From what I read of the 501, it sounds like exactly what I am looking for (although I don't need all that wattage - the 'Sui is 30 and it pushes the Focals with not a lot of effort).

Don't be deceived, the 2000 series was not rated using the same rules as modern stuff. They can't produce near 30 watts/ch at the low end. Proves you don't nee all that much! As far as "pacing" and such, nobody has ever translated those terms to something I can address technically. What would really help is if you could get a loaner unit from somebody and hear it with your own speakers and sources.

I have the as500 and find it to be a very transparent sounding amplifier. The better the components used with it the better it sounds.
It's not the most expensive amp I've had but it's by far the most natural and detail'd amp I've had in my system.

I have the as500 and find it to be a very transparent sounding amplifier. The better the components used with it the better it sounds.
It's not the most expensive amp I've had but it's by far the most natural and detail'd amp I've had in my system.
Do you listen to heavier/faster music? IF so do you feel like the energy of the music is expressed in the amp? Just curious.

I don't listen to the same music you do but I like a lot of hard rock/metal. I've never found the 501 or 500 to be "confused" or unable to "keep up". My experience with all my Yamaha's has been very consistent. Detailed, uncolored or neutral; and especially with the 500 and 501, a bit more forward in the midrange. If you want to hear detail in your music and hear it as close to the original recording as is reasonable then Yamaha fits the bill in my opinion.
I wouldn't characterize Yamaha as "warm". I would say if you have a quality original recording it will sound great. If the original recording isn't too good then a Yamaha isn't gonna fix it.;)

I don't listen to the same music you do but I like a lot of hard rock/metal. I've never found the 501 or 500 to be "confused" or unable to "keep up". My experience with all my Yamaha's has been very consistent. Detailed, uncolored or neutral; and especially with the 500 and 501, a bit more forward in the midrange. If you want to hear detail in your music and hear it as close to the original recording as is reasonable then Yamaha fits the bill in my opinion.
I wouldn't characterize Yamaha as "warm". I would say if you have a quality original recording it will sound great. If the original recording isn't too good then a Yamaha isn't gonna fix it.;)

Thats exactly what I was looking for. My 'Sui will sort of smear things during very fast passages (Bad Brains early stuff especially) which is why its a concern. Neutral is fine with me, I'm not a purist but Yammy does have tone controls and the much appreciated adjustable Loudness. I have no doubt I can get things to sound the way I want.

Thanks!

Yammy R-S700 owner here - love, love, love it. Paired with Infinty RS 6001's it sounds great. Sounds even better when I mix in a vintage Sony preamp and use the Yammy 100 watt power amp :)

Hi,

I have the AS500, which has the same sound as the AS501, but doesn't have the digital inputs. The amp is excellent. I wrote a review in the opinions section of my Kef Q300 speakers, driven by my A-S500 amp, which you should read, it might be helpful. The great sound from the Kefs came from the A-S500.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom