Favorite Bourbon

I was in Trader Joe's earlier to day. It was $15.99.
I'm going to become an alcoholic at these prices. It's surprisingly very good.

tumblr_nlqriqHbC01uo4iqoo1_1280.jpg

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/...traight-whiskey-review-15-dollar-bourbon.html

I splurged and picked this up yesterday. Buffalo Trace 6 grain experimental. A bit pricy - I hope it's good!

View attachment 948301
I tried a bottle of that a short while ago, but was not as happy as I hoped. This was after being hooked on Jefferson's Ocean and Reserve. I thought maybe since from same family, but would not get another. It's tough to go down the ladder when you started near the top.

Every day on my commute I drive by Makers mark, Jim Beam, four Roses, Heaven hills and a couple of small distilleries. I forget the name. Angel's envy just opened up a distillery and visitors center a few blocks down from where I work.

I have to say that, ignoring the millions of small batch choices, my favorite is Angel's Envy. however, all of the big brands are actually darned good. The differences are just differences. No one is really better than the others. They are just different. I like 'em all, but I prefer a good single malt Scotch. And let me tell you, it took a LONG time to come out of that particular closet.

I was recently introduced to the Oban Scotch, very tasty indeed.

If anyone gets near Portland Maine, be sure to check out Liquid Riot Brewery and Distillery.

The TJ's bourbon is from Sazerac's Barton 1792 Distillery. It'd be interesting to see how it compares to the excellent (for the money) Very Old Barton 90 proof.

The VOB has the advantage of being cheaper. God, I love the stuff.

Some of the store brand liquor is pretty good. It just depends on the source- they don't make it themselves, of course, so they buy someone elses product. For example, I heard Sam's (or maybe Costco's) bourbon was Jim Beam Black.
Here is a snippet from that link.

"The label mentions Bourbon Square Distilling Co., but according to my contact at Buffalo Trace, this bourbon is distilled at the Barton 1792 Distillery, which is owned by the Sazerac Company. (Sazerac also owns Buffalo Trace.)"

To my taste buds it compares well to a lot of bourbons in the $30-40 class. I actually like it better than some of the more well known bourbons.

Every day on my commute I drive by Makers mark, Jim Beam, four Roses, Heaven hills and a couple of small distilleries. I forget the name. Angel's envy just opened up a distillery and visitors center a few blocks down from where I work.

I have to say that, ignoring the millions of small batch choices, my favorite is Angel's Envy. however, all of the big brands are actually darned good. The differences are just differences. No one is really better than the others. They are just different. I like 'em all, but I prefer a good single malt Scotch. And let me tell you, it took a LONG time to come out of that particular closet.

Where are you? Can I come and visit???

For any of you Central Texas drinkers, Twin Liquors (no affiliation) is having their dollar sale (cost (?) + 1 dollar) thru Saturday, 8/24. Walked out with five bottles at a savings of about $34.

Four Roses Small Batch 750 ml - $25
Cointreau 1L - $30
Cazadores Reposado 1L - $28

Couple of other cheaper bottles. Top shelf bourbon (and other spirits) are up to $20+ off - Garrison Bros.Bourbon at $60 and change.

I might have gotten more but I'm still working through what I bought the last time they had this sale.

Alan

Back
Top Bottom