Technics SL-1200G review in TAS

It's good to see that Technics is back in the game, unfortunately the 4k price tag is a bit high for my wallet.

Heck there was an ad I came across somewhere for a 1200GAE. Price was $6K.

Regards
Mister Pig

I just knew I should have pre-ordered a GAE for 4k and sold it on without opening the box for 6k. The profit would have paid for the Yammy GT-2000 I really want.

its true i guess when they say you would need to spend $3k on a new table, to get near the sound and quality of a used sl 1200.

its true i guess when they say you would need to spend $3k on a new table, to get near the sound and quality of a used sl 1200.

can_worms.png

the selling price is justified i think, when some new garbage is $1000 , the new world class SL 1200G isnt going to be and shouldnt be be $999. table.

Last edited:
An interesting review, confirms that the Japanese giant can manufacture a world beating table at a reasonable price anytime they want.

It will be interesting to see how long this and the cheaper version remain in production- hopefully long enough to recoup all the tooling costs and not see ongoing price rises as sales volumes drop- as they inevitably will.

I think it's wonderful it's back in production, better than ever. :)

The reviewer took pains to differentiate the new model from the older versions, ". . . the brand-new 2017 version of the SL-1200, designated the SL-1200G, is really an entirely different turntable from the previous SL-1200 models. And all the debate about these earlier models, though fascinating from a historical perspective, really has no bearing on the current version." From other reviews and my own listening, I can say that entry-level turntables like the Rega P1 and Music Hall MMF 2.2 got more from the record than an SL1200MK2, but, if Robert Greene can be believed, the SL-1200G operates at a much higher level. It's unlikely that I will ever hear one, and I remain quite happy with my Rega RP3 (with M97xE), but the new Technics was interesting to read about, especially from a reviewer I have long read and enjoyed.

Last edited:
M97xE on a $4k table...? To my ears a M91ED sounds better on my lesser TABLES. Am I crazy?
No, not crazy at all. I have long liked Linn's approach to hifi, including their adage, "If it sounds better, it is better." I've never auditioned an M91ED, but it's been discontinued for decades, and Shure noted that their supply of replacement styli was exhausted long ago, too. I'm curious as to what loading you use for each cartridge. The review cited by the OP makes much of proper loading, at least for frequency response, and in terms of capacitance, the M91ED is designed for 400-500 picofarads while the M97xE wants 200-300.

I have to admit that in my current setup I have no idea what capacitance I'm presenting to my M97xE. Rega does not supply tonearm wire/signal lead capacitance information for my RP3, and Frank Van Alstine, maker of my preamp, said in another forum, "We do not provide for additional capacitive loading built into our phono preamplifiers. . . one poorly understand electronic fact is that resonator circuits resonate. They generate output at and near their tuned frequency and also when they see harmonics of their tuned frequency. Thus cartridge mistracking and out of band garbage makes them susceptible to generating "splashes" of wide band garbage in and out of the audio range which can overload circuits downstream. We suggest you are better off just dealing with the natural built in roll off of your phono cartridge at high frequencies than trying to fix it with additional capacitive loading." http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119692.0

I am not at the level that I can tell capacitance loading, but I'm using the EVG replacement stylus. I understand that there are JICO available as well, but as I say, I'm not that level. I personally would take the M91ED/EVG over M97xE/N97xE but YMMV...

No, not crazy at all. I have long liked Linn's approach to hifi, including their adage, "If it sounds better, it is better." I've never auditioned an M91ED, but it's been discontinued for decades, and Shure noted that their supply of replacement styli was exhausted long ago, too. I'm curious as to what loading you use for each cartridge. The review cited by the OP makes much of proper loading, at least for frequency response, and in terms of capacitance, the M91ED is designed for 400-500 picofarads while the M97xE wants 200-300.

I have to admit that in my current setup I have no idea what capacitance I'm presenting to my M97xE. Rega does not supply tonearm wire/signal lead capacitance information for my RP3, and Frank Van Alstine, maker of my preamp, said in another forum, "We do not provide for additional capacitive loading built into our phono preamplifiers. . . one poorly understand electronic fact is that resonator circuits resonate. They generate output at and near their tuned frequency and also when they see harmonics of their tuned frequency. Thus cartridge mistracking and out of band garbage makes them susceptible to generating "splashes" of wide band garbage in and out of the audio range which can overload circuits downstream. We suggest you are better off just dealing with the natural built in roll off of your phono cartridge at high frequencies than trying to fix it with additional capacitive loading." http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119692.0
I use my Soundsmith The Voice into the Simaudio Moon LP 5.3 without capacitive loading. I just don't like the thought of another cap in the signal path.

Nothing but words. I might as well depend upon a hater's criticism.
Hater? Get a grip, man. Golden-ear vagueness isn't good enough for gear costing thousands of dollars.
Would you accept just a bunch of words if you were shopping for a car? I want lots and lots of numbers. I hate expensive surprises.
Like I said, you might as well just rely on user reviews.

Hater? Get a grip, man. Golden-ear vagueness isn't good enough for gear costing thousands of dollars.
Would you accept just a bunch of words if you were shopping for a car? I want lots and lots of numbers. I hate expensive surprises.
Like I said, you might as well just rely on user reviews.

And exactly what numbers are going to convey the ability of a turntable? Heck I have owned Technics SP 15 and 25 that post very good numbers, and they sounded terrible. The SP 10 I currently am using doesn't post significantly better numbers than the 15. Yet there is a world of difference in sound quality between them. The 15 sounds broke in comparison.

A turntable is an exercise in mechanical resonance control. While some numbers provide a reflection on what is happening, they don't tell the whole story. At least the ones published that the general public gets. A descriptive review tells you about an experience as it relates to a reference component and highlights strengths and limitations. There is a lot of value in a well done one.

Regards
Mister Pig

I have taken modest steps on my MK2 with a few re-wires. I have really found no turntables that beat it with the same cartridge and the same speakers.

If I had the money, I'd be an early adopter of the new Technics table. I am a believer in direct drive.

I would put money into the cartridge of my current table followed by speakers. When you have an exceptional turntable, you have an exceptional turntable.

Back
Top Bottom