Is OLED worth the extra money??

I didn't mean to make a false equivalence, I'm just saying I sometimes perceive a similar reluctance to surround music as I get about 3D. I'm not taking any of this personally, no problem there. I guess I'm just a little bummed out that my preferences don't take off. I hate to see 3D disappear altogether, and surround music has had ups and downs too. True enough that high resolution music is garnering more popularity lately now that computer memory has come down in price and compression is no longer needed, but surround still has some ground to make up. If it helps, I'll be buying surround music and 3D movies as long as I can!

Just got a chance to hear the new release of Sgt. Peppers in surround. Not bad but not mind blowing. Problem is, much like Pet Sounds, the masters are mix down tracks, best case to 4 track recordings, so there's not a lot of room to separate sounds for rear channels. Still, the higher resolution and advanced processing are a general improvement, just not really a new listening experience like many later albums with better recording tech seem to offer. Nonetheless, a fun listening experience.

I didn't mean to make a false equivalence, I'm just saying I sometimes perceive a similar reluctance to surround music as I get about 3D. I'm not taking any of this personally, no problem there. I guess I'm just a little bummed out that my preferences don't take off. I hate to see 3D disappear altogether, and surround music has had ups and downs too. True enough that high resolution music is garnering more popularity lately now that computer memory has come down in price and compression is no longer needed, but surround still has some ground to make up. If it helps, I'll be buying surround music and 3D movies as long as I can!

Just got a chance to hear the new release of Sgt. Peppers in surround. Not bad but not mind blowing. Problem is, much like Pet Sounds, the masters are mix down tracks, best case to 4 track recordings, so there's not a lot of room to separate sounds for rear channels. Still, the higher resolution and advanced processing are a general improvement, just not really a new listening experience like many later albums with better recording tech seem to offer. Nonetheless, a fun listening experience.

Well you just brought up my problem with surround music - you can't get any recent releases. It's all remasters of... errr... "vintage" rock which I have no interest in. Or classical/Jazz which I have no interest in. That's why I gave up on SACD.

Last edited:
I get it, I do. If there was more of it out there that suited my tastes I'd buy more and I have about 50 surround albums now I think.

Wait and most of all avoid Samsung. Across their entire spectrum of durable good they suck with Q/C. With exploding washers to broken fridges, exploding phones and TV's sets. It's like their in hyperdrive to get stuff out the factory.

I love my plasma and will wait for OLED to mature.

Thats what we said about plasma TV's many years ago and for off axis viewing they still provide the best picture.

I love my Panasonic plasma. It has a beautiful picture.

Without doing much research I bought a 2-year-old used Samsung plasma for my basement, assuming that because it is a plasma 1080 HDTV it would have quality comparable to my Panasonic. Unfortunately the Samsung that I bought is far inferior to my Panasonic. Maybe the Samsung plasma that I bought is a cheap model, and perhaps it's not a fair comparison. The Samsung's screen is extremely shiny, rendering it unwatchable except in a dark room. Lesson learned. I'll use the Samsung as a stop-gap. I'm guessing that in a few years $1k UHD TVs will be significantly improved.

I saw my friends panasonic 60" 1080p plasma TX series for the first time in a while, it was beautiful, such a clean image

The picture was so refreshing coming from a korean 4k TV, plasmas truly will be missed.

what won't be missed is the annual power supply replacement if you run the TV 24/7! Plasmas cook PSUs

Panasonic's were always the tops for plasma TV's. The others were also-rans.

Yep. Owned a few different versions of Panasonic plasma's over the years and a VT30 65inch is in my main living room right now and in my bedroom is a VT50 55 inch. LOVE THEM! Best picture I have ever owned. I will watch those two TV's until they die. I did the LCD tour a few different times and hated them! Will see how OLED plays out and might take that route once prices drop over the next few years. But not too worried about it right now.

Update! I just got a software update for Sony X930D 65" and the 3D is now somewhat improved ( noticeably better, not 100% perfect ) and they say 2D is supposed to be better but that was already great.

Congrats on the Oled, beautiful TV.

I've recently had to perform surgery on my Samsung 60", 1080p, black friday special LED tv from 2013. While watching it suddenly looked like a black water fall covering up my picture within a few seconds.

I narrowed it down to bad t-con board, and mainboard. Replaced both, and the thing's been working like a champ since.

I found two really blatant QC issues while I was inside. The t-con board had 3 chips on it, and all 3 chips had crooked thermal pads on them, covering only half the chip or less. The mainboard was completely missing it's thermal pad, I looked all over trying to find it. It just wasn't there. My replacement mainboard had one, so I assume my original should've had one as well.

Back
Top Bottom