Best Way To Stream Spotify or Tidal?

Hey guys,
So I'm currently using a Google Chromecast Audio to stream to my system from my phone. The sound quality is lacking though and there is a huge difference in when I cast vs. come straight out the digital output of my MacBook Pro. I have a Modi Multibit DAC and you can tell a huge difference when coming straight from the Mac vs. CCA. This works well because I can control Spotify from my phone while its streaming from the Mac (Tidal needs to step it up) which is the function that I want to keep but using the laptop just isn't practical all the time. I thought about getting a iFi iPurifier to help to CCA but the reviews seem mixed and I feel like my money would be better spent on a stand alone source anyway. Basically I want to be able to have a dedicated high quality player that runs straight into my DAC that I can run Spotify and Tidal off of. Any thoughts on what would be a good solution? Can you use a Mac Mini like this or do you have to have a display for it?

P.S.I'm not tied to Apple

The CCA will output digital audio if you plug an optical digital cable into it (mini Toslink on the CCA end; whatever fits your DAC on the other) instead of the analog cable. Shouldn't be any different than connecting the MBP to the DAC, as long as your wifi is OK.

I was actually mulling this. I'm using a Rogue Sphinx amp, and wondering if buying a Schiit Modi Uber 2 or Modi Multibit would be worth it sit between my CCA and the Rogue. Is the sound that much improved to be worth the $150 for the Uber or $250 for the Multibit? I mostly stream music via the CCA, though I might eventually play hi-res files saved on my laptop.

^ The only way to know is to try it, I guess. If you had two CCAs you could try to set up an A-B test.

I was actually mulling this. I'm using a Rogue Sphinx amp, and wondering if buying a Schiit Modi Uber 2 or Modi Multibit would be worth it sit between my CCA and the Rogue. Is the sound that much improved to be worth the $150 for the Uber or $250 for the Multibit? I mostly stream music via the CCA, though I might eventually play hi-res files saved on my laptop.
So that's how I use my setup. I stream to my CCA that goes optical out to my Modi Multibit then to my preamp. The Multibit drastically improved my CCA experience but even more so when I stream out of my laptop. From what I read there is a big jump from the Uber 2 to the Multibit. It gets better with time too. I tested it analog vs optical on the CCA and optical is the way to go. I don't think you'd regret purchasing a Multibit. It's been the biggest SQ improvement I've made.

The CCA will output digital audio if you plug an optical digital cable into it (mini Toslink on the CCA end; whatever fits your DAC on the other) instead of the analog cable. Shouldn't be any different than connecting the MBP to the DAC, as long as your wifi is OK.
That's how I run it. I can tell a difference though between streaming from the MBP and the CCA. Running straight out of the MBP is a lot better

It's the same stream of zeros and ones being received by your router, broadcast to your wifi network, and being received either by the MBP or by the CCA. Shouldn't make a difference, all other things being equal. If you're getting drop-offs with the CCA, then OK, maybe there's a wifi issue. But if you've convinced yourself that the MBP makes the bassoon sound more sonorous or something like that, then I think you're hearing things.

It's the same stream of zeros and ones being received by your router, broadcast to your wifi network, and being received either by the MBP or by the CCA. Shouldn't make a difference, all other things being equal. If you're getting drop-offs with the CCA, then OK, maybe there's a wifi issue. But if you've convinced yourself that the MBP makes the bassoon sound more sonorous or something like that, then I think you're hearing things.
Haha right on. I guess I was thinking that I was getting a higher quality output from the MBP. Thanks fellas, you probably saved me a couple hundred dollars.

Last edited:
Basically I want to be able to have a dedicated high quality player that runs straight into my DAC that I can run Spotify and Tidal off of. Any thoughts on what would be a good solution?
I use a Raspberry PI player streaming from LMS. Inexpensive solution with very good sound quality when driven by a decent power supply.

I use a Raspberry PI player streaming from LMS. Inexpensive solution with very good sound quality when driven by a decent power supply.
I am familiar with those but have never used one. Do you have to have a display for it? Can you use Tidal and Spotify with it? How do you control what it's playing?

. Do you have to have a display for it? Can you use Tidal and Spotify with it? How do you control what it's playing?
It is innately a headless device controlled by a smart phone or pad device. I use this one in the garage controlled by my iPhone using the iPeng app which serves as either controller or player. LMS supports both Spotify and Tidal (I have a Tidal HiFi account). I purchased a Digi+ interface and use an outboard DAC. Alternately, you can use an internal DAC as the "HAT" to the RPI processing board. Total cost? About $120 including case. It's performance is darn close to my far more expensive Sonore microRendu used in the main system. Pictured is use with a Jameco linear supply, but currently I use cellphone charge batteries as they are a touch cleaner at the top.

rpi3.jpg

Hi there. I have an Onkyo TX-NR656 and listening via some Misson speakers from late 1990’s/early 2000’s. I like to use Tidal HIFI streaming via AirPlay to the Onkyo to listen to classical music. I was wondering & would much appreciate it if anyone could help with advice as to which particular listening mode/other settings on the amplifier would be best suited for listening to this. Many thanks:)

Back
Top Bottom