Can somebody tell me what a "passive preamp" is !?!?

Pre-amp = before the amp.

Some manufacturers call a "pre-amp" that provides gain a control amplifier. That more exactly describes the components function.

A passive device situated between source components and amplifier would more accurately be called a passive line-stage.

Last edited:
Pre-amp = before the amp.

Some manufacturers call a "pre-amp" that provides gain a control amplifier. That more exactly describes the components function.

A passive device situated between source components and amplifier would more accurately be called a passive line-stage.

Yes I agree... :thumbsup: But not likely to catch on, as it just doesn`t sound sexy enough !!

Good call though Mark B.. Regards, OKB

I didn't read the above links....

But, I had always thought a Passive Pre.....was one of those high-end types that didn't have tone controls....and an "Active" one or just a Preamp did have tone controls.

I guess I'll have to read up.....as that now sounds incorrect.

Well now let's add buffer stages into the mix. Now we have "passive buffer preamps" that do require a voltage source, pass audio through a transistor or two but add no gain.

Modern audio culture has formed the praise passive preamp to mean basically a volume pot in front of the amp - with no gain stages. Much like "sure I enjoy listening to the stereophonics" to mean you listen to vinyl, records, spinning disks, etc...Culture has changed the meaning and phrase to mean what ever is popular at the time.

With passives and preamps, one does not replace the other. It is all dependent on your setup , gear and listening taste. But mostly your gear.

...that said, the thing about language is that it doesn't have to make sense. Usage dictates meaning and 'etymology is not destiny,' which explains why someone who drinks alcohol might be an 'alcoholic' but being a 'workaholic' doesn't imply the existence of 'workahol'.

^^^^ This.

To further muddy the waters, my Promitheus TVC (Transformer Volume Control) is passive, has no power cord, yet provides an optional 6 dB of gain.

I didn't read the above links....

But, I had always thought a Passive Pre.....was one of those high-end types that didn't have tone controls....and an "Active" one or just a Preamp did have tone controls.

I guess I'll have to read up.....as that now sounds incorrect.
There are "passive tone controls". No gain added. But, they can only reduce the gain, not add to it. Cranked up all the way its like they aren't there, think flat responce. So turning them down you are reducing the gain. Where active tone controls add to the gain past center or at 12:00. With active below 12:00 you are reducing gain. After 12:00 you are adding gain. I think I got that right.

A pre-amp is *defined* primarily as a circuit that provides voltage amplification ("pre" the power stage, where else?). I have always found the concept of a pre-amp that doesn't pre-amp almost Orwellian; a non-amplifying amplifier.

It may be a swell box, but it's not a pre-amp.

Anyway, that ship has already sailed. :)

A pre-amp is *defined* primarily as a circuit that provides voltage amplification ("pre" the power stage, where else?). I have always found the concept of a pre-amp that doesn't pre-amp almost Orwellian; a non-amplifying amplifier.

It may be a swell box, but it's not a pre-amp.

Anyway, that ship has already sailed. :)

Well put Sir. :beerchug:

A turntable never directly "precedes" (précède in french) an amp, but an amplified phono pre-amp that is in face of (precedes) an integrated amp preamp section, or preamp, active or passive (Attenuator), before the amp section.

If this is only an attenuator, no reason to call it a pre-amp, it's an attenuator, but if there is another additional function, like an input selector, it's an item that deserves to be called a pre-amp, if not, how can we name it without a complete description.

Last edited:
I can't believe that whoever coined the term didn't know better. I always thought it was just a little tongue-in-cheek.

With this style passive control box, you need to pay close attention to impedance of input & outputs. The volume/balance pots will need to be a high resistance

A turntable never directly precedes" (précède in french) an amp, but an amplified phono pre-amp that is in face of (precedes) an integrated amp preamp section, or preamp, active or passive (Attenuator), before the amp section.

If this is only an attenuator, no reason to call it a pre-amp, it's an attenuator, but if there is another additional function, like an input selector, it's an item that deserves to be called a pre-amp, if not, how can we name it without a complete description.
Like this little goodie I just bought. A volume control with relay powered Input selector.411Uhz5Zl0L._SX355_.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom