Yamaha C-80 balance potentiometer needed.

Crazeehorse

Just curious if anyone had ever bought a new replacement for the balance potentiometer on a C-80. I have a C-80 recapped and ready to go for my upstairs stereo but I discovered that the front pcb part of the potentiometer in broke in half and there for now left channel output. I have a spare one from a wrecked CX-1000 but it has 350k resistance and not 200k. The post is a tad shorter as well. I'm looking on mouser but don't see anything that would work at the moment. Thanks for any input.

I went ahead and used the spare part from my donor CX-1000. It works just fine. MC phono stage DC offsets are spot on as well as all of the other voltage readings on the bus bars. Is there anything proactive that I could replace to ensure this C80 lasts a few more years? So far I'm very impressed with the sound I'm getting with this piece incorporated into it.

Is there anything proactive that I could replace to ensure this C80 lasts a few more years? So far I'm very impressed with the sound I'm getting with this piece incorporated into it.
There is usually a small bit of dried glue around those two heatsinks as well as signs of corrosion to a pair of 4.7KΩ 1/4 watt resistors.The glue will promote corrosion/oxidation on just about any metallic surface. Solder connections on the copper buss bars and RCA jacks are a somewhat common issues as well.

There is usually a small bit of dried glue around those two heatsinks as well as signs of corrosion to a pair of 4.7KΩ 1/4 watt resistors.The glue will promote corrosion/oxidation on just about any metallic surface. Solder connections on the copper buss bars and RCA jacks are a somewhat common issues as well.

Yep that was one if the first thing I saw and took care of with the exception of the resistors. I unsoldered them, cleaned them and soaked them in deoxit over night. They still checked out good but I will just order a couple resistors today. One of those regulators basically popped off in my hand. All that glue was black and burnt up. Top cover had smoke stains right where those sit as well. I resoldered all buss bars and RCA jacks. Thanks for the input Avionic. I'll get a picture of it later this weekend. Right now my CX-1000, which was such a pain to recap and refurb a couple years ago, gets the nod for sound quality, but not by much. That C-80 EQ is pretty interesting. Can't believe my 49 year old butt hasn't played with a parametric eq before.

Back
Top Bottom