Great "Every Day Carry" knives

That's great! :thumbsup:

I remember having a knife that very well could have been the same as yours. I lost track of it at least fifty(!) years ago.

Today, my daily ride along is a collaboration between custom maker Tom Mayo and Buck knives. Close to perfect for an EDC, it`s thin, light (titanium/S30V), extremely sharp, it pretty much disappears in your pocket.

upload_2017-6-21_1-42-38.pngupload_2017-6-21_1-42-38.png

Here's one of my favorites - Reate Horizon Ti with one of my custom machined beads.

IMG_2418.jpg

NYC has extremely harsh rules for knife carry, dating back to the "West Side Story" days in an effort to fight switchblades & gravity knives. These rules are now being used against folks carrying box cutters & Leatherman knives, a lot of which are carried for legitimate purposes, i.e. contractors, store clerks, etc. It has gotten so bad I have taken to carrying a copy of the NYC Admin Code in my wallet, which states the maximum blade length is 4 inches, is not able to be opened by one hand via a "wrist flick" or some other means. It also has a ruler to show that my EDC Bucklite blade comes in at a whopping 2 7/8 inches, well within code.
upload_2017-6-21_12-44-35.jpeg

NYC has extremely harsh rules for knife carry, dating back to the "West Side Story" days in an effort to fight switchblades & gravity knives. These rules are now being used against folks carrying box cutters & Leatherman knives, a lot of which are carried for legitimate purposes, i.e. contractors, store clerks, etc. It has gotten so bad I have taken to carrying a copy of the NYC Admin Code in my wallet, which states the maximum blade length is 4 inches, is not able to be opened by one hand via a "wrist flick" or some other means. It also has a ruler to show that my EDC Bucklite blade comes in at a whopping 2 7/8 inches, well within code.
View attachment 954236

Do the authorities get upset that the stud on the blade allows for one hand opening? Curious because my EDC is a Spyderco. It has a thumb hole for one-handed opening.

-Dave

Do the authorities get upset that the stud on the blade allows for one hand opening? Curious because my EDC is a Spyderco. It has a thumb hole for one-handed opening.

-Dave
That is a bone of contention and part of the ongoing lawsuits against NYC by rights groups on behalf of knife owners. I guess it will depend on the officer in question & how he or she interprets the rules. Mostly it is the "flick" option, that the law is concerned with. There is no way to flick open my Buck, but if the cop in question is having a bad day, I guess they could give you a hard time.

That is a bone of contention and part of the ongoing lawsuits against NYC by rights groups on behalf of knife owners. I guess it will depend on the officer in question & how he or she interprets the rules. Mostly it is the "flick" option, that the law is concerned with. There is no way to flick open my Buck, but if the cop in question is having a bad day, I guess they could give you a hard time.

This is a VERY sticky point in the state of NY....police have adopted the policy of gripping the knife by the spine of the blade, and using the weight of the handle to "flick" the knife open. If successful, the knife is categorized as a "switchblade/gravity knife", thereby creating a whole new class of criminals. This is why the pro-knife groups are fighting the existing laws.

That is BS, MAXX. They are looking for any pretense on which to charge you.I am glad my Bucklite has a plastic handle, it cannot be opened in that manner. I just tried and whacked my knuckle on the underside of my desk for my efforts!

A guy on one of the knife forums got unfairly hammered under these stupid-ass laws, here`s a couple of excerpts from his sad tale....

3/30/2012
A while back I was stopped by police for lighting up a smoke to soon while coming out of the train station on my way to work. It cost me my Plasma 1 off (GTC) etc and I had to plead guilty to carrying a gravity knife and was also placed on 5 yrs. (Felony) probation. Fast forward to 3/16/12 probation came to my apt and order a search warrant after seeing knives in my home.

I was arrested on this day and released on 3/25/12 after my girlfriend paid the 10.000$ cash bail (a full Ten Thousand) ....every knife was taken except butter knives and steak knives. About 50 knives all gone, they are saying 5 of them are illegal. My Horton Halloween trench, Carrillo Tripwire, a one - off Mikkel Willumsen folder, a cheap Pakistan lockback folder and a cheap China auto.Also I had a few hundred dollars along with my credit card in a drawer that`s gone too.

7/13/2012
Well its official, I had court today. I was offered a plea deal I had no choice but to take it.... they consider the folders that I owned to be gravity knives... 1yr Rikers, which I probably have to do 8 months. Sentence date thank god is after my birthday Sept 12. Thanks to all the Devils who showed love!!!!!!

Update: He wound up doing the 8 months....BAD Juju !

Back
Top Bottom