Tick problem getting' more serious!

I just got off the phone with a UC Davis Lyme researcher who was of the opinion that the San Francisco area was the only vector zone in California, not SoCal although there are 1000's being treated for the disease there.
Also that there's the possibility that a tick bite and ensuing rash does not mean Lyme is present, at least in my case here in my part of California.
Perhaps she was referring to the single bacteria borrellia burgdorferi :dunno:

It is a 501(c) (3) educational non-profit group dedicated to spreading the word about Lyme. Any contribution is tax-deductible.
That's fine but I think having to spend $28.99 to buy or $9.99 to rent isn't going to spread the word as it would showing it full length on youtube.
I do respect their choice, though.

So just curious, they have just been prescribing the antibiotics and antiviral meds? No anti-inflammatory or detox protocols for your
Lyme neuroborreliosis?

Phan, a point of clarification please. Would the "anti-inflammatory" drugs not be needed for the onset, but only as the disease manifests itself in a later stages (weeks/months), and would be necessary to combat the joint affliction?

As a side note, I was surprised that only 70% to 80% of infected Lyme people show symptoms of being bit. That in itself is pretty scary!

What I also found out that a normal non-Lyme tick bite may create a small red mound from a bite, but the Lyme critter usually creates the typical "bull's eye" pattern that can be up to 12" across which is not itchy, but warm to the touch.

I guess what really worries me is the nymph stage of the tick which causes most of the havoc is but 2mm (head of a pin!) in size which is really difficult to see. On our Sheltie, it will almost be impossible to locate and to date have pulled three Dog Ticks from him.

Finally, Keith Clay, a prof at Indiana University upset the "apple cart" as of late by declaring that there may be as many as three million infected Lyme cases this year as the manner of reporting is lacking in accurate format to reflect the true picture of this unfortunate situation.

Is there a need of gov't intervention? You decide.

Q

A government intervention to do what?
Mandate staying out of the woods, wearing deet and maintaining a strong immune system?

Not speaking for Phantom, I don't believe anti-inflammatory protocols include the use of "drugs".

Phan, a point of clarification please. Would the "anti-inflammatory" drugs not be needed for the onset, but only as the disease manifests itself in a later stages (weeks/months), and would be necessary to combat the joint affliction?
Q
I'm not just talking about drugs and I'm not referring to the arthritic like symptoms. I'm talking specifically about the neurological effects. Everything from pain to depression to memory loss. And yes, later stages because it takes time for the toxic effects to manifest themselves.

A government intervention to do what?
Mandate staying out of the woods, wearing deet and maintaining a strong immune system?

Not speaking for Phantom, I don't believe anti-inflammatory protocols include the use of "drugs".

Personally, I'd like them to improve the way that recording the frequency of infections could be improved as it appears that this is not happening. A lot of the people dealing with this disease indicate the need to do this.

Research should be underway for a remedy, serum, what ever might work other than to try to catch it on the onset and hope antibiotics work, and in time these will lose their effectiveness and the over use that is already being done today.

From what others have indicated, even within this thread, many in the med field may lack the necessary background to determine if victims do indeed have this malady and perhaps catch up programs might be instigated.

Q

Personally, I'd like them to improve the way that recording the frequency of infections could be improved as it appears that this is not happening. A lot of the people dealing with this disease indicate the need to do this.

Research should be underway for a remedy, serum, what ever might work other than to try to catch it on the onset and hope antibiotics work, and in time these will lose their effectiveness and the over use that is already being done today.

From what others have indicated, even within this thread, many in the med field may lack the necessary background to determine if victims do indeed have this malady and perhaps catch up programs might be instigated.

Q
If anything, firstly I'd lean toward a mandate that studies how to strengthen the immune system and promote it, make people stronger and more resilient to the pimpy little bacteria that somehow ****s us up.
For instance, why did some people survive the Bubonic Plague, AIDS or any other maladies like being tick bitten and not contracting Lyme.
Something in their DNA, perhaps a stronger immune system or ability to handle stress:dunno:

Last edited:
Next time, put a little vicks vapo-rub on it. It'll let go and back out all on it's own pretty quickly. Here in the Northeast they are a way of life we're still adjusting to. Where we used to encounter individual ticks occasionally, it's not unusual to encounter them by the dozens now.

It's the Black Legged Tick that carries Lyme, usually picking it up from infected Deer Mice hence the slang name "Deer Tick".

They thrive in cooler, fairly miserable weather which enhances the contrast of their mostly IR vision. IOW, when it's easy for them to see you against the background surfaces and conditions. Here in my neck of the woods it's not unusual to find them on the surface of the melting snow in the spring.

Watch your bite areas for any signs of infection or rash, particularly a "bullseye" looking rash. When you know you've been bitten, learn and watch for any early onset Lyme symptoms. Lyme is new to the medical world in many areas and many cases still go un-detected, and this can have serious long term health implications.

If you've been bit and are the least bit suspicious of Lyme, get to your Dr and get tested.

FWIW, Lyme isn't the only disease the little parasites carry. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever doesn't sound like it'd be any more fun than Lyme.

Same here in new Hampshire Bowtie! Nasty lil fukers, i carry peppermint oil at all times when im outside. Poor lil on the tick, its hauling butt like its on fire!!!

If anything, firstly I'd lean toward a mandate that studies how to strengthen the immune system and promote it, make people stronger and more resilient to the pimpy little bacteria that somehow ****s us up.
For instance, why did some people survive the Bubonic Plague, AIDS or any other maladies like being tick bitten and not contracting Lyme.
Something in their DNA, perhaps a stronger immune system or ability to handle stress:dunno:

Long time back, I wondered bout how some avoided dying in the "Black Plague" (Bubonic) and read that many bio types felt that it was a kind of Natural Selection that allowed some to live through it. The more hardy, better fed and fit were able to withstand this terrible infection period, coming out stronger and better after this. Historians felt that life was better for those who were left behind with lesser demand for food, higher wages, and increased living standards. Just shows to go ya, eh?

I think the estimate was somewhere in the 50+ million who expired to this serial infection.

Back around...2000 or so, a John Tull and his wife contracted the Bubonic, with him being more seriously infected. If memory serves me, he went into a pretty long coma, and in order to save his life, they had to amputate both his legs. The meds thought that bites from some fleas in on their ranch in New Mex were responsible for this infection.

Sorry digress from the main intent of the thread, but thought to share these side thoughts that you evoked.

Q

Nonn
The anti-inflammatory and detox is for your neurological and chronic fatigue symptoms, not just the joint pain. That's why I was wondering whether your doctor explored them with you. One issue with long term antibiotic treatment is that it reduces mitochondria in your cells. This leads to fatigue as well as that is where the energy (ATP) is made.
No we have not, all I know about detoxing
I have had this conversation with my doctor many times why this or that treatment works with some and not others he answer is always "everyone's immune system is different" Period. why is it that I rarely get colds or flu When most do? I can go years and years without getting sick yet I cant win over this? aswer this with certainty and you will be the richest man on earth. well maybe they do, you know what I mean

Last edited:
(
The anti-inflammatory and detox is for your neurological and chronic fatigue symptoms, not just the joint pain. That's why I was wondering whether your doctor explored them with you. One issue with long term antibiotic treatment is that it reduces mitochondria in your cells. This leads to fatigue as well as that is where the energy (ATP) is made.
All I know is I see people mess themselves up bad doing this stuff and it helps others (who from what I see could benefit and feel better if they ate an orange once in awhile) my doc and I keep a very strick eye on my levels.

A point which people need to understand: you Should feel like crap taking antibiotics. Your body is working overtime which is why its important to keep all your blood levels top notch which we do constantly. if you do not feel crappier taking antibiotics they are not working period, its normal. I can always tell when they have run their coarse as I feel little better and you sort of flat line in recovery. we found if you keep taking them for at least two months after you are feeling better remission doesn't come back as quick and long term results are better. when we just stopped (the first few years) when I felt the antibiotics have done all they can (its somewhat obvious as you are feeling better but not getting any more better) and stop right there my remission came back full force in about three months. the previous 5-6 months now became wasted and we had to start all over again.

OK. Not second guessing your doctor; I was just curious how progressive current treatments were.
Each infection runs it's own course and there are no easy answers it seems.

OK. Not second guessing your doctor; I was just curious how progressive current treatments were.
Each infection runs it's own course and there are no easy answers it seems.

Its all good I didn't think you were. There are alot of therapy's people use including laser treatment. My doctor will totally admit different options work for some people as everyone's immune system is different.

A big problem is when people get sick alot are unable to work and lose insurance (if they have anyone good to see if they could is a problem for many) then they cannot afford a doctor if there is one. Many people cannot get their blood tested every month or two and spend what money they have on all kinds of herbals and such which work for some but many are causing themselves problems with this also, as everyone immune system is differnt. I watch people on the lyme pages taking herbles that do this or that and some really mess themselves up as no one is monitoring what is going on for them. they take this to fix that, then that goes out of whack and they take a differnt this to fix that and they are constantly in a getting sick, feeling better cycle. some people go to herbal type doctors but they are being monitored which is different . many of these people cant take drugs and is their only option.

Remember a vast majority of really sick people have no money, have terrible state Medicaid no insurance or crappy/ lack of doctors. I have to reiterate some things as its key to this topic so the layman can be informed

Women can have alot of issues with antibiotics as they actually have a better (so my doc tells me) immune system then men and many get seriously ill from antibiotics and have no choice but to try alternate therapy. (they can really throw women's systems into a tizzy as it fights a little better than men). Some people can tolerate them but need help on the digestive side as it screws them up internally; which they can treat as they are not getting serious complications like others (men and women) by taking antibiotics. So I am not saying any other treatment or therapies dont work as I am assured by my doc some do for some people. I try very had to just say what I know and get from others; kind of like speaker cable HaHa. it all seems so individualized and like cable what works for some might not for others.

I had a theory that maybe antibiotics are the wrong way to go in the later stages. Rather, I was thinking probiotics. Let the good bugs outcompete the bad and naturally heal. Maybe some day. Our mitochondria are actually good bugs in a way (but much co-evolved).

I had a theory that maybe antibiotics are the wrong way to go in the later stages. Rather, I was thinking probiotics. Let the good bugs outcompete the bad and naturally heal. Maybe some day. Our mitochondria are actually good bugs in a way (but much co-evolved).

My daughter takes several antibiotics and several probiotics, plus a regimen of alternating other drugs for co-infections which seem to always change.

FWIW, I'm just completing two-weeks of Doxy after my last tick bite, third dose this year though one was the massive one-shot because I asked for help immediately. I've had no ill-effects from the Doxy and it knocked the Flu-like symptoms out of me within days the first time.

I tend to agree with you with the scant knowledge base that I can muster. Most sources believe that there is a short time period wherein the antibiotics can be effective in varying degrees, but after a certain arbitrary period, they can work against the detriment of the patient.

As most meds agree, all immune systems are not the same, with the female being the more robust. This I learned even in HS bio! Drugs are meant to enhance recovery but often work against this goal.

At this point in time, I feel that most advisors are flailing in the dark, trying this and than with most going with the standard procedures that have worked with some, and a few striking out with new methodologies if the former sees little or no progress. Most are a wait and see, but this is where there should be some JOINT effect taking place that allows researchers to tie into common bank of knowledge that would save a lot of time/effort for the practitioners who are plying their trade. This I believe should be gov't inspired!

Q

Interestingly and relatively recently chemotherapy(cell killing poisons) is being used to "treat" arthritis, lupus, ms and an assortment of other autoimmune diseases:idea:

Back
Top Bottom