Multi-disk CD Players?

I used to buy ONLY single-disc players, until they became scarce locally. Then I bought the Sony in my signature. It really changed my mind about CD changers because I have used quite a bit, it it still sounds quite good to me. 90% of the time, I play just one CD, but sometimes I like to put four or five discs in it and engage shuffle play. Peace and goodwill.

Since I like Yamaha I'll have to look at the CD-C600

Found a couple on CL local. A Technics NIB and a Nakamichi.

How is Nakamichi's reputation for CD players?

Earlier Nakamichis can be very good. Their CDP-2A and CDC models have the legendary TDA1541A DAC and sound incredible. I have the CDC-4A and it is a six-banger which uses the Pioneer magazine and sounds amazing. The MB, OMS and CD Player 1,2,3,4 models aren't as reliable and don't sound as good but are still better than many others out there. I prefer the older players with this Pioneer 6-Disk magazine instead of the carousel models. My Japanese-made Magnavox CDB-570 uses this same magazine and sounds incredible. Look for something that uses a derivative of this magazine. They have proven to be very reliable (for me).

pio.jpg

naka.JPG

CDB-570b.jpg

I have a Pioneer PD-TM3 (x2), PD-DM802, and PD-M702. All have been excellent, and are frequently used. I've also had Sony CDP-C910 & C-90ESunits. They are great, when they work, but both failed, differently and had to be junked... Also have a Sony DVP-NC650V 5 disc CD/DVD/SACD player that almost new - little used... I really like multi-players (can you tell?), it's fun to put a set of CDs (I have hundreds) in and hit "random" to mix them up...

I think the Nakamichi decks sound wonderful. True that they can be a little unreliable, but the MB system is excellent.

I think the Nakamichi decks sound wonderful. True that they can be a little unreliable, but the MB system is excellent.
Point taken, haven't had experience with any of the others besides internet babble I'd read regarding them. Good to hear they are positively regarded as well. Maybe someday I'll get a chance to listen to some of them myself as well, thank you.

Have been using carousel changers for 20 years now. Currently use a Yamaha, have had Sony, Technics and Denon in the past. The Sonys failed quickest, and the Denon not far behind. Technics had a lot of features which I enjoyed, especially "random spiral" (played a random track from each CD sequentially). But Yamaha CDC-600 is a workhorse, used for hours daily over a period of about 5 years, skipping is very rare, and also has a USB in for flash drives/iPods.

I do put the Yamaha into a DAC via optical feed (toslink, wish it had coax) but I'm not sure there's much of a SQ advantage.... the DAC reads "HDCDs" which I'm just getting into (when I can find them). cheers everybody!!!

I have an old Realistic CD5000 cartridge player that has been used almost every day since it was new. Its a rebranded Marantz 5000. Also found under the Philips brand. It pulls duty at my work bench now. Its been a solid performer.

I have a Sony SCD CE 595 that I paid $15 at Deseret for and bought a $10 remote from eBay and it has been flawless for a long time. I also have a Sony DVP NC800H DVD changer that has both HDMI and analog outputs. It was perfect for using to play CDs through my front vintage system from the RCA jacks and movies through the AVR with the HDMI output. I paid almost nothing for it as well. There are simply a glut of pretty decent CD/DVD changers at thrift stores. There are some dogs as well of course.....the worst one was a Harmon/Kardon that played for about an hour then gave up. I later looked up that model and all the reviews of it were crap.

I like my Adcom GCD-700. Sounds great but the transport is noisy and the drawer feels flimsy. People seem to love em or hate em - reliability is the culprit. For shits a grins, I poked around the bay to see what these are going for nowadays and was surprised - some units that look like they've been kicked down a flight of stairs are listed at much higher prices than I would have guessed.

Maybe it's time for me to dust off the GCD-600 I have sitting around... that is one noisy, rattly sumbitch at best but if people are out there looking to buy I will be happy to help scratch their itch.

John

I bought a Sony CDP-CX355 second hand, more for the novelty than anything else. It's a 300-disc carousel.

The size is phenomenal - 450mm/17.5" deep. Much larger than is easy to house in hifi furniture.

The time taken to move from one CD to another, & the attendant mechanical noise, takes some getting used to.

Earlier Nakamichis can be very good. Their CDP-2A and CDC models have the legendary TDA1541A DAC and sound incredible. I have the CDC-4A and it is a six-banger which uses the Pioneer magazine and sounds amazing. The MB, OMS and CD Player 1,2,3,4 models aren't as reliable and don't sound as good but are still better than many others out there. I prefer the older players with this Pioneer 6-Disk magazine instead of the carousel models. My Japanese-made Magnavox CDB-570 uses this same magazine and sounds incredible. Look for something that uses a derivative of this magazine. They have proven to be very reliable (for me).

I was just about to say, I think my CD Player 2 MusicBank sounds excellent, although I would kind of like to open it up and see what DAC chip it is using. I don't know why anyone would say the later Nak "CD Player" models wouldn't sound as good- they are also Made in Japan models and if they run the same Philips chips as the CDC models, even better.
I found mine at a local thrift store for $10 because it gave an error message when plugged in. I got it home and discovered the transport locking mechanism was engaged- I released it and it has been working great ever since. Even came with the original remote! It also has variable output which I find very convenient when connected directly to an amp.
From my "which one to keep" thread:

index.php

Last edited:
I bought a Sony CDP-CX355 second hand, more for the novelty than anything else. It's a 300-disc carousel.

The size is phenomenal - 450mm/17.5" deep. Much larger than is easy to house in hifi furniture.

The time taken to move from one CD to another, & the attendant mechanical noise, takes some getting used to.

Built like a military truck, and a work horse as well. Mine's been going for years without a hitch. The sound's decent. Just get a friend over if you decide to move it, and DON"T TIP it if you do! Trust me on the last warning.

Q

I have a Pioneer PD-TM3 (x2), PD-DM802, and PD-M702. All have been excellent, and are frequently used

I would have to agree, l have two older Pioneers a PD-M500 and a PD-M407 and they are still going strong after all of these years and are very reliable. The 407 did stop reading discs properly about a year ago but all it was is that the laser pickup cradle rubber bushes sag slightly, so is an easy fix.

They prob don't sound as good as a higher end single disc player (not as good as my Yamaha CDX-1030) and don't have a digital out but they are convenient and super reliable.

I recommend the Marantz CC 4000OSE...5 disc changer...very good build quaility & excellent sound....been using one for years.

Look for one with optical or digital output so you can use a DAC or the on board converter in an AV receiver. You get convenience and sound quality. IMO, the most convenient would be a Sony Mega Storage of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom