Your Last Concert (or two)

The Dandy Warhols in Asheville circa fall of 2012 (I think). That was our last concert. We walked out halfway through... we like to joke that we were too cool for the Dandy Warhols.

The Lumineers and U2 - The Joshua Tree Tour - at Soldier Field in Chicago June 3, 2017. Absolutely great show. The Lumineers alone were worth the price of admission and seeing U2 perform the entire Joshua Tree album, plus many more favorites, was truly a special treat. It was an early birthday present form my girlfriend. In years past, she has taken me to see Fleetwood Mac, Modest Mouse and the Rolling Stones for my birthday.

June 10, 2017 - Wolf Trap Farm park - Mavis Staples - and Joe Jackson.
Mavis was great - did a number of songs from her family, (like Slippery People) and Stop Children, What's That Sound ... plus some of her own tracks ...
15 min break to shuffle the stage -
then Joe Jackson came out and did some solo pieces on piano, and after a few songs, added his band members one by one ...
Great sound for a 4 piece band - tho the Drummer and guitar got real loud in places,
and Joe can be a little shrill ...
I own a lot of his earlier albums and know the hits - but I didn't know all his albums -
the newest album was Fast Forward from 2015 -
He did a lot of the hits, a lot of Fast Forward, even a great cover of Bowie's "Scary Monsters" - very enthusiastic - overall a real good show.

Joe Jackson band photo courtesy of Wilfredo

JoeJackson.jpg

Next up - Wolf Trap July 20th - Moody Blues - Days of Future Past at 50

Last edited:
Wilco at Wolf Trap June 9. Went to a little club after the show to catch the last set of Hambone Wilson, with Daryl Davis sitting in on piano and Dave Chappell on guitar. Good night of music.

Doobie Brothers and Chicago, Ak-Chin Pavilion, Phoenix AZ area. The Doobie Brothers were good but not great IMHO; their longtime fans loved it and the musicians were enthusiastic. Chicago was terrific; better than I expected. Their chops at arranging and playing together are amazing. Their lead quitarist and bass player are both very impressive. We had to leave at 11:15 but they were still rocking! I could have done without the 1960s light show but otherwise outstanding. When Robert Lamm sang "Look Away" it was gripping. It's their 50th year; I guess playing music keeps you young! I had forgotten the psychedelic overtone of some of their early work.

saw Midnight Oil a few weeks back, -still politically charged and totally intense... - I was a bit worried as it had been 25 years since I last saw them... I almost passed on the show.... glad I did not.... some footage:

Just returned from Vegas and on Friday , June 8th attended the Park Theater to see The Doobie Brothers open for Chicago.
Great show. Enjoyed seeing both bands together.

Went to a benefit for Billy Hancock (X-Fat Boy, Danny Gatton's first records) on Saturday. Lots of local guitar slingers and rockabilly cats performing.
Last night was an epic surf guitar show starring the Blair-Pongracic band. John Blair fronted Jon and The Nightriders while Ivan Pongracis fronted The Space Cossacks and currently The Madeira. Opening was local surf/space rock band The Atomic Mosquitos. Great show in a small room, maybe 40 folks there.

June 24, 2017, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Dru Hill feat. Sisqo, Nokio, Jazz & Tao

with Special Guests Chante Moore & Howard Hewett
Hosted by Speedy of the Jamie Foxx Radio Show
Music by Seattle's Own DJ Kole
Benefiting homeless families of Greater New Hope

Back
Top Bottom