Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

My vintage "X" 3 in 1 sounds as good as today's megabuck separates gear. And it's not the gear which is the bugger here, it's the statement without having exclusively tested this megabuck stuff.

I've noticed a new catch phrase being used on EBay. Instead of a description of the equipment the seller will use this only.... "See the photos." Well sorry, the photos are grainy and I can't really can see all the scratches and dings on the case. Sometimes the owner will avoid a certain view because it looks like someone took a hammer to the top of the case. That isn't including the lamps or leds that don't work because there are no pics of the unit powered up. Very sneaky!

Last edited:
I've noticed a new catch phrase being used on EBay. Instead of a description of the equipment the seller will use this only.... "See the photos." Well sorry, the photos are grainy or I really can see all the scratches and dings on the case. Sometimes the owner will avoid a certain view because it looks like someone took a hammer to the top of the case. That isn't including the lamps or leds that don't work because there are no pics of the unit powered up. Very sneaky!

:thumbsup: :beerchug:

Last night I found a cute vintage tube amp....

NICE CONDITION, TESTED, COMES WITH POWER CORD ONLY. THIS AUCTION IS FOR (1) UNIT ONLY, SEE PICS. MANUAL, REMOTE CONTROL, CONNECTION CABLES & ANY OTHER ACCESSORIES ARE NOT INCLUDED.

They never once said that it was working in 1000s of words they posted after that. It's like you have to guess and help them sell it to you buy sending messages.

I had seen a CL listing for a 1930 floor standing radio....

Missing some tubes, but turns on and works. :rolleyes:...:whip:

Last edited:
Came upon this thread only now: Superb!! (Stopped 'I like" some posts ago.)

A side-note: If I recall correctly there were some objections to calling equipment from yesteryear "vintage" . According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary, the term vintage does not only pertain to wine; it can be used for generally old equipment; from an era. Quote: "Thing made in a particular year; of high quality, especially from the past." As one example the term 'vintage cars' is mentioned.

But thanks for contributors. Yes, those flowery adjectives - yech!!

ok. ok, i DO lurk. all those tired lines that people peel off like the only two hundreds on the outside layer of a Detroit bankroll (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Detroit Bankroll) do get under your skin but it's inevitable. SOMETIMES though, the person believes he is being honest. and a great deal of the time, the guy has just washed off the gold paint he used on the turd he is trying to sell you.

aaaaah, that almost felt good.

The whole topic of "what is the best?" makes me cringe. Usually the reply will be whatever equipment the other member's happen to own. The "what's best?" question is usually followed by a budget that super small. I find the original poster, more often than not, totally ignores all advice anyway.

Back
Top Bottom