Magnum Dynalab Owners Thread

techguy0192

Listen to the whistle of the evenin' train
Subscriber
A little surprised to see so little discussion on Magnum Dynalab tuners and related gear. So, here's a thread for the the MD owners, users with questions, and those interested their tuners.

As a long time fan of Magnum Dynalab, I have the following gear: 101A Tuner, MD205 Signal Sleuth, and their SR100 antenna. I'm lucky to have some great FM stations in my area and the MD gear is a joy to use.

IMG_2541.JPG

A little surprised to see so little discussion on Magnum Dynalab tuners and related gear. So, here's a thread for the the MD owners, users with questions, and those interested their tuners.

As a long time fan of Magnum Dynalab, I have the following gear: 101A Tuner, MD205 Signal Sleuth, and their SR100 antenna. I'm lucky to have some great FM stations in my area and the MD gear is a joy to use.

View attachment 956806
I have the same set-up, minus the Signal Sleuth which would probably be overkill here. Love the tuner.

I had a 101A that I liked a lot, but eventually sold it to get a Yamaha CT-7000. Wouldn't mind having one of the top end MDs some day.

I am the original owner of an FT101 and it is one of the best tuners I have owned. There is no way I would trade it for another tuner.

I was looking for one of their internet tuners. They are hard to find and super expensive as well.

I also had an original 101. The 101A is better but by a small margin. I've been thinking about a MD90; however, I'm not sure what it will really offer over my 101A. Anyone with a MD90 that can comment?

Anyone with a MD90 that can comment?
I never compared mine to a 101 or 101A, but it sounds great. Much better than internet streams from the college radio I listen to on my MD90.
No complaints. No desire to upgrade.

I've always wondered about the sound differences between the tube and non-tube version of products that have both as an option. :confused:

Wow!......surprised to see this dedicated thread on Magnum Dynalab tuners to say the least!

As a long time love affair with my Magnum Dynalab FT-101A tuner it sure is good that there has been a thread dedicated to them.

I also have basically that same set up as techguy0192 shows pictured in the original post but with one slight difference on the antenna.

I have the FT101A tuner, the MD-205 Signal Sleuth along with the ST-2 antenna located outside on the highest point on my roof.

Can be seen here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/racked-system.371286/#post-10136720

Last edited:
My FT-101 was part of a package deal found on AudioGon years ago. Listed with the Sleuth and wired remote control,it was for local pick-up only. I was there in a New York minute. The tuner turns out to be a Etude version!
Flipped the Sleuth and the remote to the same buyer for a few bucks more than the package!
Reception is outstanding with a ST-2 antenna. Sound quality is exceptional with a dead quiet background.
Along with a pair of Yamaha T-2s there is no shortage of quality FM listening in my house.
image.jpeg

I can't say enough good stuff about the MD205 Signal Sleuth. The difference it made was shocking. Honestly, it's a must own for anyone with an analog tuner. Stations that were not listenable can be pulled and if needed I can makes tweaks with my MD tuner, such as switching to mono to further clean up the sound.

MD-102 with a few mods. Sounds nice.

31-hX1CkdABVihRjjTTmK1HXvHxjlO-RcynXwlbT651QgJKwCceYjSmQd5If8Gy8AWJ7UVG-1USEZ638ahw8o0nMHkWDL4GE5F-0P5kLpRfSV0RkTcKoKFPT2zwBb_sjBV1WgfyejaMMMRiFDqFZLc007_ngOYnvX6kT9uhh-7bpxgkdCT-ozdJUY66_zdowHdMWy9pbuQyMqiw6ex19Rsx8nLqGu08n-TyffLGE_aliRZ39cqVdF44ge72SeXGgbYXiK9qVnMpiY7_ajZQX4pY6suuX_sQLnCqDNglLf9WYINeVPux7wCTckNlZBw245IzDKNHTVCkEKPCZhuiE9OOTVitOj1WB-HtE-dieZGixFAfv4C_Aou8qzm7Eha7n3xpc44BSgFIVyocTufLKSH6Jnn69yBJZn315DGPWTPDV7rZOAmN7fjJzVe37oLzu3FdKkwrdloOSSFU7P6i7wND-aVZPAY3IyqKOnrr_3bICbCwfv2PLIbJ3FZC7HhXdhUuyNXQk0ylanE77InvLadrSOLMlcbsFpP8gZFpjD1X9YJ9-UAGT9DAzcHbiQNnSM04pruhSNHUNZvNd_mvoj2ghDqaB3eA_2Ar1sRICGyQloreOruKWsCrncUS_5S7G--zl75dk4Ue99e6uV9HhsGKz4LWyylf0s68I7ZwaAiWmQGM=w1052-h438-no

Last edited:
I have an FT-11 and the SR100 antenna. I winnowed down my gear a few years ago, but kept the MD, and thoroughly enjoy it - it's one of my two or three favorite pieces.

s.

I bought a used Magnum Dynalab FT-101 about two years ago. It is rock steady, sounds good and has a sensitive front end. Also, the analog dials and toggle switches are easy on this old ham radio operator's eyes.

I use this tuner to listen to a local community radio station that specializes in Jazz and the local NPR station. I use the ST-2 antenna stashed in an interior closet.

The combination gives me hour after hour of listening pleasure.

Ed

Hey you smart folks out there. I have the FT11. Like its sound a lot, but after about 10 minutes or so after power up, the station drifts. I have it set to 96.5 for example and after time, it shows 96.4 and is not tuned and the station cuts in and out. A quick adjust met of the know back to 96.5 and it is rock solid thereafter. Any ideas of what could be causing the warm-up drift?

Hey you smart folks out there. I have the FT11. Like its sound a lot, but after about 10 minutes or so after power up, the station drifts.

Pretty normal for a tuner to drift in the first 10 minutes. Most service manual state to let the unit warm up for 10 minute before doing alignments. The local oscillator need to stabilize.

Pretty normal for a tuner to drift in the first 10 minutes. Most service manual state to let the unit warm up for 10 minute before doing alignments. The local oscillator need to stabilize.

Good to know, thanks for the info. I bought my MD 102 second hand and did not get a service manual. Sort of figured this out over time I guess, but this actually explains a lot. Sometimes there is no drift at cold startup and other times its more noticeable so i just let it warm up for at least 15 minutes now before focused listening. Thx.

Back
Top Bottom