Asking Comparison Rotel RCD-1072 VS Marantz CD-6005

liemjerry

Hello
I want to buy CD Player for pairing with B & W DM601 S3 and Integrated Roksan Kandy K2, my choice has arrived into 2 :

1. Rotel RCD-1072, used, mint in box for US348
2. Marantz CD-6005, used but still in warranty until next 6 months, mint in box for US259

I have not hear both of them, but initially I want to asking maybe you have listened one or two of them :

1. What about the detail, soundstaging, bass deep, treble/high frequency note quality
2. Built quality about tray, socket or other features
3. Timing of sound, which has more correct timing ?
4. Feature, which has more features?
5. Durability for long run

My most music genre listen is mostly Jazz, Vocal, country and classic.

Thank you :)

I can't give you a comparison, but the Rotel is a tank and cost several hundred more than the Marantz when new. I have been using one steadily for 10 years or more.
The Rotel is HDCD compatible but has no USB input if that is needed. It is a straight up no gimmick quality player.

I can't give you a comparison, but the Rotel is a tank and cost several hundred more than the Marantz when new. I have been using one steadily for 10 years or more.
The Rotel is HDCD compatible but has no USB input if that is needed. It is a straight up no gimmick quality player.

thank you Hyfi, maybe 2 of them have far long different age, so the USB technology does not exist on RCD-1072.
I see the review of RCD-1072 was quite difficult for this time (not much more than Marantz CD6005)
How about the sound quality ? are you staisfied enogh with Rotel RCD-1072 ?

The 1072 replaced a Marantz 67SE with an Audio Alchemy DAC and I never looked back. I have had no reason to look for another until this fails to play disks. Of course I think my sound is good, and I have had people comment the same, but the only thing I really have to compare it to are two OPPO 93s and the Rotel does top them. You can see in my sig that I have the Rotel coupled with gear many times it's price. I also have the matching receiver but it is used in a different setup and I got that used at a later date.

My gut feel is that the Rotel is a better player and they did not have to skimp somewhere to add modern convenience items like USB and Networking.

The 1072 replaced a Marantz 67SE with an Audio Alchemy DAC and I never looked back. I have had no reason to look for another until this fails to play disks. Of course I think my sound is good, and I have had people comment the same, but the only thing I really have to compare it to are two OPPO 93s and the Rotel does top them. You can see in my sig that I have the Rotel coupled with gear many times it's price. I also have the matching receiver but it is used in a different setup and I got that used at a later date.

My gut feel is that the Rotel is a better player and they did not have to skimp somewhere to add modern convenience items like USB and Networking.

Yes the only thing I consider is about the optic quality, since the physical condition is good, all package is complete as new, but this player maybe aged 10 years old or more, do you know when Rotel RCD-1072 was launch?
When 2nd Rotel RCD-1072 pricing US348, is that price fair enough?

I'm sure you would be happy with either player. The advantage of the new player is perceived longevity. However the Rotel, If its in good running order, Even used may outlast most new CD players. As far as overall quality goes, I'd say the Rotel is a far better player with a better transport, as well as the audio section of the DAC.

I had a Rotel CD Transport for a short time, And it was so good I could hear more detail and transparency VS my well regarded Denon 1500II CD player as a transport using the same DAC. That is unusual, most CD transports make very little difference until you get to VERY expensive units.

I'm sure you would be happy with either player. The advantage of the new player is perceived longevity. However the Rotel, If its in good running order, Even used may outlast most new CD players. As far as overall quality goes, I'd say the Rotel is a far better player with a better transport, as well as the audio section of the DAC.

I had a Rotel CD Transport for a short time, And it was so good I could hear more detail and transparency VS my well regarded Denon 1500II CD player as a transport using the same DAC. That is unusual, most CD transports make very little difference until you get to VERY expensive units.

so maybe in my conclusion in this time, the durability and also maybe the optics quality of Rotel CD/CD Transports is far better than a few "new" CD Player from Japan maybe with price under Rotel's price (in this case RCD-1072).
Do when we pay old CD Player have the same risk for optical quality in reading with "new" but not so new maybe, maybe 3-4 years ago Japan CD player vs Rotel's 10 years CD player?

Depends on what player made in Japan. You seem to be trying to compare Mass Market players vs Entry Level High End player which is not a way to compare.

If you really want a good CD Player made in Japan, find yourself an Esoteric K03X. That should beat the Rotel by a measurable margin, but it's going to set you back $15,000.00

Myself, I would take a chance on the Rotel. I would use it as a transport for my Bryston DAC. Even if I had to get it serviced later, It would still be less expensive than buying a new one of this quality now. While I would highly recommend my Cambridge CXC transport for those looking for a better CD transport than most CD players for a reasonable price, I doubt it is any better than that much older Rotel. I would have bought the much older Rotel transport I auditioned in my home if it had the remote.

No guarantees either way. I bought an $800 Denon CD player for it's reliability. As it turned out my $80 Apex DVD player outlasted the Denon. Sure the Denon sounded better, but it was less reliable.

Last edited:
I can only speak to the Rotel 1072. I bought one here on AK to replace various Sony ES CDPs. I liked it so much I bought another, soon to be followed by the Rotel multi changer 1055. I think these players represent excellent value for the money. I paid between $300-$350 USD for each of them. They have proved to be a very worthwhile investment. Excellent reproduction for the styles of music you mentioned you listen to.

Depends on what player made in Japan. You seem to be trying to compare Mass Market players vs Entry Level High End player which is not a way to compare.

If you really want a good CD Player made in Japan, find yourself an Esoteric K03X. That should beat the Rotel by a measurable margin, but it's going to set you back $15,000.00

I think that model is out of budget. Maybe one thing that I focus is sound character between Rotel and Marantz.
Sorry for interrupting, is the Rotel RCD-1072 has made in China or still manufactured in England like old Rotels ?

Myself, I would take a chance on the Rotel. I would use it as a transport for my Bryston DAC. Even if I had to get it serviced later, It would still be less expensive than buying a new one of this quality now. While I would highly recommend my Cambridge CXC transport for those looking for a better CD transport than most CD players for a reasonable price, I doubt it is any better than that much older Rotel. I would have bought the much older Rotel transport I auditioned in my home if it had the remote.

No guarantees either way. I bought an $800 Denon CD player for it's reliability. As it turned out my $80 Apex DVD player outlasted the Denon. Sure the Denon sounded better, but it was less reliable.

Oh ok, for durability of mechanical you vote Rotel, is that your $800 Denon CD Player use toroids transformator too like RCD-1072?

I can only speak to the Rotel 1072. I bought one here on AK to replace various Sony ES CDPs. I liked it so much I bought another, soon to be followed by the Rotel multi changer 1055. I think these players represent excellent value for the money. I paid between $300-$350 USD for each of them. They have proved to be a very worthwhile investment. Excellent reproduction for the styles of music you mentioned you listen to.

Hello, what amplifier that you have paired with RCD-1072? is every RCD-1072 on the back panel state made in china or it depends on age of manufacturer?
Thank you

Oh ok, for durability of mechanical you vote Rotel, is that your $800 Denon CD Player use toroids transformator too like RCD-1072?

I Don't know what kind of transformers the my Denon 1500II CD player, Which had a premature laser failure used. To bad Denon had so many problems with the lasers. Otherwise this CD player was an excellent player, One I would have otherwise recommended.

Hello, what amplifier that you have paired with RCD-1072? is every RCD-1072 on the back panel state made in china or it depends on age of manufacturer?
Thank you
With my first one I run a Rotel RA-1070 integrated amp. On my second rig that has a 1072 & the1055, I have a SAE 501 Power amp & am using a Rtoel RA-12 Int amp as my pre amp. Check my signature line. Here on AK, Rotel is considered entry level audiophile, great bang for the buck. Many members here own Rotel 1072 CDPs.They are very highly regarded. I have had no problems with any of my 3 Rotel CDPs.

Back
Top Bottom