Boomboxes and Ghettoblasters

Collin1141

Figured this is the best place as I'm interested in talking the classics
Solid State, stereo, compact cassette, radio and portability - could fit a few of categories
Pre CD models
Anyone here heavy into boomboxes and their restoration-preservation?

It's the only one I have and my Magnavox D-8300 gets tons of use at the lake and camping. When I got it about 8 months ago it played a tape for about ten minutes and then died of rotten gear syndrome so it is mainly used for radio. It does have rca inputs in the back that I can hook my mp3 player to but it is really noisy and not as crisp as the radio.

IMG_20170514_213427_285.jpg

I no longer have a need for a boombox, but I still have an interest. Magnavox made some that once appealed to me a lot, as did the JVC Kaboom. A friend had one of Magnavox's iterations with the sub in the center and a lot of features - probably the best boombox I ever heard (except for a heavy wooden one I built from solid oak with Pioneer component car stereo - their very first car component model - and separate amp. Ran from a cigarette lighter, or 110V AC if that were available. Weighed sixty pounds and looked very nice, if I do say so myself.) Never bought either, but was tempted. Not a boombox, but Cambridge Soundworks (IIRC) sold a portable suitcase type deal which served as subwoofer and case for satellites and an amp (IIRC, again) that I found highly appealing but never could seem to afford when raising kids. Some of you will doubtless recall the model name of that system - and if anyone here still has a set and can post images, I would find that highly interesting to see again. Pics are all I ever saw, in ads, certainly never got the chance to audition.

Hi guys,
I thinking along the lines of the classic boxes like the JVC RC-M90 (and all the others)
The 1980s basically

My Sony Sports Walkman.
I used pure copper wire through the handle to suspend the deck. The antennae has the rare spring clip modification, to increase it ablility to receive weak signal.
Electrical flex jacket shielding to resist emi/rfi. It has an upgraded RatShack 9v power supply.
Also, a cable lock to prevent anyone taking it.
The patina is vintage.
IMG_1093.jpg

Last edited:
NICE box
Tape section work?
It does work at the moment. I stripped it down once to replace a small idler rubber that engages the flywheel , this is a common fix most restorers will have to perform when restoring the tape section on these 9090s but not that difficult once you free the entire tape section module.
Using some generic square section cassette belts got it working well enough but I'll probably source the correct belt replacement kit in the near future as it does run slightly fast without the correct width flywheel belt which should be wide and flat instead of square section.
Some fuzzy old pics

Attachments

• tape 3.jpg
    tape 3.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 136
  • tape 2.jpg
    tape 2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 128
  • tape 1.jpg
    tape 1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 123
  • tape 4.jpg
    tape 4.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 126
It does work at the moment. I stripped it down once to replace a small idler rubber that engages the flywheel , this is a common fix most restorers will have to perform when restoring the tape section on these 9090s but not that difficult once you free the entire tape section module.
Using some generic square section cassette belts got it working well enough but I'll probably source the correct belt replacement kit in the near future as it does run slightly fast without the correct width flywheel belt which should be wide and flat instead of square section.
Some fuzzy old pics
Nice early era box
Don't blow extra coins on the "kits" unless you absolutely have to
You're fortunate, your machine uses the following PRB numbers which are still easy to find
FRW10.1
SCX7.0
SCX7.4

Great Info Colin :) I will just try to find the correct main belt for it then.
If you have to go with a U.S. seller the postage will cost you more than the belt
The "kits" are a rip
I'll PM you the best U.S. vendor I know, you can email him and see what it'll cost you

Boomboxes are cool. I was in high school in the 80's and always wanted a cool one, but couldn't afford it. I grab any boomboxes I find now. I've got a few that I've fixed up.

I got this GE model at GW for $6, works great, just needed deoxit in the pots.
IMG_20151114_203016945.jpg

This Sony was on the curb for trash pickup. Just needed a belt and deoxit.
IMG_20160614_125802646.jpg

I have another Sony that I got on Craigslist with the original box and paperwork. That one needs a belt, but I haven't got to it yet. I also had a Panasonic I rebelted, traded that one for some records.

Back
Top Bottom