Great "Every Day Carry" knives

A guy on one of the knife forums got unfairly hammered under these stupid-ass laws, here`s a couple of excerpts from his sad tale....

3/30/2012
A while back I was stopped by police for lighting up a smoke to soon while coming out of the train station on my way to work. It cost me my Plasma 1 off (GTC) etc and I had to plead guilty to carrying a gravity knife and was also placed on 5 yrs. (Felony) probation. Fast forward to 3/16/12 probation came to my apt and order a search warrant after seeing knives in my home.

I was arrested on this day and released on 3/25/12 after my girlfriend paid the 10.000$ cash bail (a full Ten Thousand) ....every knife was taken except butter knives and steak knives. About 50 knives all gone, they are saying 5 of them are illegal. My Horton Halloween trench, Carrillo Tripwire, a one - off Mikkel Willumsen folder, a cheap Pakistan lockback folder and a cheap China auto.Also I had a few hundred dollars along with my credit card in a drawer that`s gone too.

7/13/2012
Well its official, I had court today. I was offered a plea deal I had no choice but to take it.... they consider the folders that I owned to be gravity knives... 1yr Rikers, which I probably have to do 8 months. Sentence date thank god is after my birthday Sept 12. Thanks to all the Devils who showed love!!!!!!

Update: He wound up doing the 8 months....BAD Juju !

That is just unbelievable. Talk about over zealous law enforcement. They have potentially ruined this guy's life over what amounts to smoking in a nonsmoking area.
:wtf:

-Dave

Here is my Umnumzaan with some grade 2 titanium lanyard beads I designed and made. Looking forward to tying a new lanyard for it!

Photo%20Jun%2023%2C%203%2000%2004%20PM.jpg

I really like my SOG Cash Card.

IMG_4046.JPG

Also functions as my money clip.

Nice and light, well made and fits well in my front pocket, even with dress pants.

Feels great in the tight hand grip

You can pick one up at Walmart for $35.00 and lifetime warranty.

It's made in China and I'm not aware of another design such as this that's US made.

https://www.sogknives.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Cash+card

I'm seriously looking at the SOG Strat
Ops next.
Automatic, (switchblade) type with a nice pocket clip for easy access.

Not a huge fan of autos.

The Cash Card is a great everyday, cut the package open etc. knife.

(Make sure that you check your state and local laws before buying the Strat Ops).

I live in Indiana where we believe in our constitutional rights!
We cannot have throwing stars, throwing type knives or detachable blades but!

The Strat Ops is made in USA.

Check out the vid when you get time.

https://www.sogknives.com/type/2017/strat-ops

Last edited:
Very nice knife that that I looked at tonight,
(Live a few miles from Bass Pro).

BenchMade~556 Mini Griptilain.

No need for automatic, opens and closes flawlessly with the flick of the wrist and ambidextrous.
Feels great in the hand and no need for automatic.

IMG_4047.JPG

The Kershaw Tyrade is a Ken Onion design, and has his "Speed Safe" assisted-opening mechanism built in....just a little encouragement from a light pull on the flipper, and the blade flies out, deploying with a very authoritative "THWACK !"

upload_2017-6-29_21-48-49.png

The Kershaw Tyrade is a Ken Onion design, and has his "Speed Safe" assisted-opening mechanism built in....just a little encouragement from a light pull on the flipper, and the blade flies out, deploying with a very authoritative "THWACK !"

View attachment 958862

Nice!
I gotta' look at that one but a tough find, no longer made, I think.

Last edited:
Nice!
I gotta' look at that one!
They`ve been out of production for a pretty long time (at least 7 or 8 years), so it`s probably only available on the secondary market.
Here`s another variation, called the Tyrade Ti....composite blade (D2 edge, with 154 CM spine), all-ti handles with carbon-fiber inserts. May have the best handling ergonomics of any folder I own....

upload_2017-6-29_22-7-40.png

Very nice knife that that I looked at tonight,
(Live a few miles from Bass Pro).

BenchMade~556 Mini Griptilain.

No need for automatic, opens and closes flawlessly with the flick of the wrist and ambidextrous.
Feels great in the hand and no need for automatic.

View attachment 958859

There are so many excellent knives so choose from. The Griptilian is the knife that I started with and is the opening of this thread. Unfortunately for me, it just didn't work out as well as I had hoped that it would. The problem that I discussed in posts #18, #30 and #45 explain what happened. I appreciate that not everyone experienced what I did with the Griptilian or any other knife of a similar design. It is very likely that it is a result of something that I was doing. Your mileage may vary.

There are so many excellent knives so choose from. The Griptilian is the knife that I started with and is the opening of this thread. Unfortunately for me, it just didn't work out as well as I had hoped that it would. The problem that I discussed in posts #18, #30 and #45 explain what happened. I appreciate that not everyone experienced what I did with the Griptilian or any other knife of a similar design. It is very likely that it is a result of something that I was doing. Your mileage may vary.

Take a look at the Benchmade Barrage #580, it might be right up your alley. Whatever other knife I`m carrying on any given day, I always have my Barrage in the other pocket. It`s really grown on me over the years, it just does so many things right....it`s a good size, without being TOO big (3 1/2" blade), solid, without being too heavy, it`s assisted opening, and absolutely LEAPS open, yet it has an Axis lock and a manual safety on the backstrap for peace of mind. Sharp as hell, too !

Take a look at the Benchmade Barrage #580, it might be right up your alley. Whatever other knife I`m carrying on any given day, I always have my Barrage in the other pocket. It`s really grown on me over the years, it just does so many things right....it`s a good size, without being TOO big (3 1/2" blade), solid, without being too heavy, it`s assisted opening, and absolutely LEAPS open, yet it has an Axis lock and a manual safety on the backstrap for peace of mind. Sharp as hell, too !

Sorry, my bad for not reading all of the posts!

Sorry to hear about your issues with the
Griptilian.

Like many have said here, there are so many great knifes out there.

No need to be sorry about anything. The Griptillians a re excellent knives and work well for a lot of people. I wish that they had worked out better for me.

My EDC knife is the Benchmade Osborne Emissary 470-1. See post # 47 on page 3. It has a thumb safety that gives me the confidence to carry it every day. It is a little bit heavier than the Griptilian and has a great quality feel in my hand. I am very happy with it.

The 2 1/2 inch Victrinox Swis Army knife that I keep in my back pocket gets used several times each day.

IMG_0863.JPG

No need to be sorry about anything. The Griptillians a re excellent knives and work well for a lot of people. I wish that they had worked out better for me.

My EDC knife is the Benchmade Osborne Emissary 470-1. See post # 47 on page 3. It has a thumb safety that gives me the confidence to carry it every day. It is a little bit heavier than the Griptilian and has a great quality feel in my hand. I am very happy with it.

The 2 1/2 inch Victrinox Swis Army knife that I keep in my back pocket gets used several times each day.

View attachment 959405
Everybody should own at least one Victorinox SAK, they are a useful work of art ! Lost count of how many I`ve given to worthy recipients as birthday or Christmas presents !

Back
Top Bottom