Sony PlayStation 1 - Interesting

just bought a 5501 for 8 bucks. cheap fun. What about a 101? Will that work? NOT a 1001 a "101"

It will work but you won't have the Ashahi Kasei Microsystems (AKM) AK4309AVM DAC that the 1001 and 5001 have .

I had my PlayStation PS1 playing in the backyard for my stepdaughter's baby shower. With no sound bouncing around walls and floors, it sounded superb.

Here's a shot of the rig in the dining room.

Just as a note when I got back into hi-fi a few years back I bought a set of budget components with a bit of research. The PS-1 was player that interested me and came up again and again, so that was going to be the CD player. Other bits included the JBL L-19 bookshelfs, an old Dual 1019 and a Yamaha CR-420 receiver.

It was a good start.

IMG_4458.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4459.JPG
    IMG_4459.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
OK, so now I'm gonna mess that all up by gushing *just a little*...

Last night I popped Pearl Jam's "No Code" into this little grey plastic curiosity.

Wow. This time I really did a double-take. I turned off the left hemisphere and sank into the sound and I found myself in a happy, familiar place very near fair Analogia. I'm sure it says something about the quality of the recording and production of the CD etc. But this synergy just killed it.

View attachment 946643

I almost
(but *not quite*)
forgot
it was a CD.

So I guess I'm buying more CDs now.

PS. Oh, and my Grados arrived yesterday too. :)

Yes! We have another convert!

I was blown away with Elvis Presley's Sun Sessions CD, that's the one that really did it for me.

Ok! It arrived very well packed by goodwill but missing the power supply. Is there a brick involved or just one of those a/c cords with the connector on the end? I have like 5 of those.

EDIT....never mind. Did some research and yes.. internal power supply so any cord will work.

Going to plug it into the Yamaha CR 2020 and compare it to the Sony DVP-S7700 for fun.

Last edited:
I still haven't even auditioned the 5501's. :) Maybe it'll be featured in a secondary, in-the-house, system. It's damned hot out in the Lair.

Get one of these... Then use a Boutique Power Cable

50-pcs-lot-Power-Adapter-font-b-IEC-b-font-font-b-320-b-font-C14.jpg

Few people online say it really matters for better S/Q - I have 2 adapters coming from China. We'll see

Get one of these... Then use a Boutique Power Cable

50-pcs-lot-Power-Adapter-font-b-IEC-b-font-font-b-320-b-font-C14.jpg

Few people online say it really matters for better S/Q - I have 2 adapters coming from China. We'll see

When I get my system (and ears) to the point where it reveals differences in such things, I'll be very happy indeed. I've got plenty to work on before I get there. I think my next move will be to recap my speakers. I also need to check my tired old receivers for out of spec components.

Looks like it will be after the weekend. The stupid thing didn't come with the a/v cable.

No problem. Got it on Amazon it arrives in two days. In the meantime I will get the DVP-S7000 (not 7700, oops) installed in the system and start listening to it. Until now it's been the garage player (literally cost 7 bucks at the red white and blue thrift store!)

Edit: I just realized that when all is said and done the PS1 will end up costing TWICE what the Sony DVP-7000 cost me. Lol

Last edited:
Looks like it will be after the weekend. The stupid thing didn't come with the a/v cable.

No problem. Got it on Amazon it arrives in two days. In the meantime I will get the DVP-S7000 (not 7700, oops) installed in the system and start listening to it. Until now it's been the garage player (literally cost 7 bucks at the red white and blue thrift store!)

Yeah, you will need that. Unless you want to start modding out of the gate. :)

Nope. Now the controller is kaput. Sigh. Vintage electronics right? Should I just get the Playstation 2 remote?

Back
Top Bottom