My mint SX-1280

fernarias

Never posted this find so I'm posting for archival purposes. It's truly mint. Hardly been in the sun since the walnut still looks like new walnut. None of the screws have ever been touched. I'll enjoy it till it's gone. Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMAG1470.jpg
    IMAG1470.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMAG1471.jpg
    IMAG1471.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMAG1472.jpg
    IMAG1472.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 164
  • IMAG1474.jpg
    IMAG1474.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMAG1479.jpg
    IMAG1479.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 152
Get it rehabbed and then you can enjoy it until you are gone and it will pay for part of your funeral. :rolleyes:

I second that, send it to rehab, it will outlive us all!!
I can actually do the rehab myself. I just refurbished a SX-950 last month and 30 others in the last 7 years (even got good at diagnosing problems and fixing so that I had started to buy non working but good looking gear). All caps were replaced except the mains which test good and all the transistors were also replaced on the 950.

I've been finding that the transistors test out of spec even if they are working, especially the power transistors and the non working ones that I have purchased have all been transistor issues. It's all the brands with out of spec output transistors Yamaha's, Marantz's, Sansui's and Pioneer. I've been seeing gains of 10 or less on one or two of the output transistors. I'm guessing the small gold filament that connects the silicon to the contacts is thinning over time. So, if you're doing a refurbish then just change the outputs while they are still available.

Last edited:
I can actually do the rehab myself. I just refurbished a SX-950 last month and 30 others in the last 7 years (even got good at diagnosing problems and fixing so that I had started to buy non working but good looking gear). All caps were replaced except the mains which test good and all the transistors were also replaced on the 950.

I've been finding that the transistors test out of spec even if they are working, especially the power transistors and the non working ones that I have purchased have all been transistor issues. It's all the brands with out of spec output transistors Yamaha's, Marantz's, Sansui's and Pioneer. I've been seeing gains of 10 or less on one or two of the output transistors. I'm guessing the small gold filament that connects the silicon to the contacts is thinning over time. So, if you're doing a refurbish then just change the outputs while they are still available.

Oh okay, well that's good then, should a nice experience working on something so nice and clean. Definitely worth doing.

And it is a very nice example, like others have said, almost a time capsule...

Out of curiosity did you buy this from a fellow in Victoria BC? I swear I saw an ad stating that the amplifier was opened but never used and your post reminded me of that ad.

Out of curiosity did you buy this from a fellow in Victoria BC? I swear I saw an ad stating that the amplifier was opened but never used and your post reminded me of that ad.
Sacramento. The warranty card even has the name of the store where it was purchased, Best Products in Sacramento.

Last edited:
Sheesh.
Why is it that among all the Pioneers I have owned ( just about every one from the 3 series to the 9) the biggest I have ever seen is the 1010 I own. I've never seen or heard any bigger ones. I just never find them.
Sigh.
That's a beauty.

Sheesh.
Why is it that among all the Pioneers I have owned ( just about every one from the 3 series to the 9) the biggest I have ever seen is the 1010 I own. I've never seen or heard any bigger ones. I just never find them.
Sigh.
That's a beauty.
I live in the center of California (the largest state by population) 2 hours from Sacramento and the Bay Area (about 8 million population) and 4 hours from LA (18 million population) and I while I was looking, I only came upon this one. I got lucky. I saw the ad when it posted(at work) replied/called the seller and then drove 2 1/2 hours the same day(I got home at 10:30pm that day). I moved fast because it was the only one that I had seen until that day.

1280s are rare.

Ps I own two 1010s (939s have been hard to find, 1080s have eluded me six times so I have given up on my collection).

Back
Top Bottom