asilker's Apartment Arrangement *photos*

Very, very sweet setup! I am,particularly enamored with the speakers. Just...wow. Well done!
+1. Great looking speakers. :thumbsup: I'll have to hear a pair someday. Speakers the size of those will never be in our apartment. My wife is very tolerant of my hobby but huge speakers is where she draw the line. On the plus side, I can bring home mini monitors/bookshelf speakers pretty much whenever I want.

+1. Great looking speakers. :thumbsup: I'll have to hear a pair someday. Speakers the size of those will never be in our apartment. My wife is very tolerant of my hobby but huge speakers is where she draw the line. On the plus side, I can bring home mini monitors/bookshelf speakers pretty much whenever I want.
Yeah man I feel you. I definitely did not plan on picking up something this size when I started the hobby.

Even though they are large, the cabinets and drivers look so nice that my wife enjoys them. Honestly I think it can be easier to fit big retro looking speakers compared to more modern and aggressive stuff. (Hope that makes sense)

PS if you guys are in town come over and hear these.

Yeah man I feel you. I definitely did not plan on picking up something this size when I started the hobby.

Even though they are large, the cabinets and drivers look so nice that my wife enjoys them. Honestly I think it can be easier to fit big retro looking speakers compared to more modern and aggressive stuff. (Hope that makes sense)

PS if you guys are in town come over and hear these.
Thanks, I may take you up on a listening session one of these days. One thing is for certain: most vintage British bookshelf speakers don't do as well with tube amps as those behemoths would. One reason I'm sticking with solid state....

Thanks, I may take you up on a listening session one of these days. One thing is for certain: most vintage British bookshelf speakers don't do as well with tube amps as those behemoths would. One reason I'm sticking with solid state....
My KEF 104's and Chapman ls35a type monitors both sounded great with the Dynaco st70

Ps if you want to come up and say hey send me a PM :)

Today I am stressed out and in need of a cathartic outlet. For lunch I am home reading for work. I just put on Radiohead's Amnesiac. "Pulk/Pull Revolving Door" made me jump. I physically jumped out of my seat.

I know that there are lots of discussions across different forums discussing the 604's ability to produce bass frequency. I don't think my 604's reach as low as the Tekton Lore's did but YEESH there's something about a large driver format. Things feel HUGE from the 15" drivers.

Nice. Interested in hearing what you think of those. I have a pair of the the NS-690s - little brother to the 1000s. Absolutely love them.

Nice. Interested in hearing what you think of those. I have a pair of the the NS-690s - little brother to the 1000s. Absolutely love them.
I'll be sure to make a note. This pair needs a fresh coat of paint, fresh crossover caps, and some way to get them off the floor.

Got maybe 45 min in on them. Right off the bat they're much more refined than the 500m model. The electronics I'm running into this pair is a lot different (3watts compared to 35 for instance), but the beryllium midrange sounds way different. Even though these are a 3 way with a 12" woofer, I feel like they make the most sense in a nearfield monitor setup. Maybe this sounds snobby but it's disorienting moving back down from a 15" driver. The Altecs move air in the whole apartment when theyre on - these ns1000m move things right in front of them. The midrange has a lovely liquid quality, great soundstage, tons of detail, and they do the trick where you feel like you're wearing headphones.

I'd like to hear them with more tube power to hear if snares crack like I remember the 500m doing. Otherwise these are in a league above the other NS models

The Altecs move air in the whole apartment when theyre on - these ns1000m move things right in front of them. The midrange has a lovely liquid quality, great soundstage, tons of detail, and they do the trick where you feel like you're wearing headphones.

Yup, sounds like the 690s. Someone elsewhere on AK said the 690s were basically 1000s with soft domes instead of Be. But I'm sure it'll probably take some adjustment to come back down to 12" earth when you've gotten used to the 15" air shakes. But yeah, I won't lie - if you ever kick the Altecs to the curb, let me know what day it'll be so I can drive a rented U-Haul that way.

Yup, sounds like the 690s. Someone elsewhere on AK said the 690s were basically 1000s with soft domes instead of Be. But I'm sure it'll probably take some adjustment to come back down to 12" earth when you've gotten used to the 15" air shakes. But yeah, I won't lie - if you ever kick the Altecs to the curb, let me know what day it'll be so I can drive a rented U-Haul that way.
Haha thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind.

Ive been able to hear the 500m and Tekton Lore in the same week at my space, and now the 1000m and 604. My preference both times was for high efficiency, two way, paper cone. I think theres less of a "wow" factor with the Lores & 604s, but also a larger scale image and an unassuming naturalness.

Again, I suspect it's a matter of opinion. And although out of the four I preferred the 500m least, I still think it was a great speaker. If I recall, you're driving the 690s with a rogue sphynx... That seems like it's been a lovely pairing

If I recall, you're driving the 690s with a rogue sphynx... That seems like it's been a lovely pairing
Yup, that's the pairing I have now. The Rogue has the muscle my previous amp slightly lacked, while the 690s have the openness I didn't find with the Dalis or Lores. But like you I have to find stands for them. The 690s are high efficiency, so one of these days I may try a Decware amp - Zen Triode? - but there's no rush now. Also tempted with the Rogue Cronus.

Yup, that's the pairing I have now. The Rogue has the muscle my previous amp slightly lacked, while the 690s have the openness I didn't find with the Dalis or Lores. But like you I have to find stands for them. The 690s are high efficiency, so one of these days I may try a Decware amp - Zen Triode? - but there's no rush now. Also tempted with the Rogue Cronus.
The Cronus is a great amp. IIRC the Zen is 1.5w - you'll need VERY high efficiency with that. I'm not sure it'd be a good match with the yams. 45 tubes won't drive my 604s

Wow! asilker thanks for providing the link to this thread on your Infinity Reference 5 for sale post in Barter Town. You're like the old Virginia Slims ad. "You've come a long way, baby" I am only a couple months into reinvigorating my latent audiophile and can only dream of accomplishing what you have in such a short time. I may have caught the bug but you are 100% infected. Love it!!

Wow! asilker thanks for providing the link to this thread on your Infinity Reference 5 for sale post in Barter Town. You're like the old Virginia Slims ad. "You've come a long way, baby" I am only a couple months into reinvigorating my latent audiophile and can only dream of accomplishing what you have in such a short time. I may have caught the bug but you are 100% infected. Love it!!
Haha thanks!

This has been a big few years for me in general... Got married, started my first pastoral job, finished ordination and a master's degree. I've tried to keep my hobby stuff paced with the real life stuff because it helps to unload stress, but it's also a great tangible illustration that hard work actually goes somewhere.

Sorry, maybe that's needlessly philosophical... Lots of effort can mean a great payoff :)

Back
Top Bottom