Solved! Denon DCD-1500 II disc not reading

I too have a Denon dcd 1500-2. Replaced the felt with neoprene a long time ago. new issue now is that on initial disc read or spin up, the spindle stops too fast, before the full read takes place. Almost as if the pulse to the spindle motor is too short. The player will read and play about 60% of my discs, Sometimes after a successful read of contents, the initial track also stops after a single turn or so. The spindle /disc will pulse start a turn or two, then stop and begin again. The player will make 4-6 attempts to get started, and then gives up. Optics are clean and play flawlessly if disc starts correctly. On my arm clamp, one of the small flanges is also missing. Could this be a factor for this spindle startup problem? Any input appreciated. If I could find a new clamp arm from a damaged player, that would be a good way to begin to see if that missing flange is critical at all.

I too have a Denon dcd 1500-2. Replaced the felt with neoprene a long time ago. new issue now is that on initial disc read or spin up, the spindle stops too fast, before the full read takes place. Almost as if the pulse to the spindle motor is too short. The player will read and play about 60% of my discs, Sometimes after a successful read of contents, the initial track also stops after a single turn or so. The spindle /disc will pulse start a turn or two, then stop and begin again. The player will make 4-6 attempts to get started, and then gives up. Optics are clean and play flawlessly if disc starts correctly.
On my arm clamp, one of the small flanges is also missing. Could this be a factor for this spindle startup problem? Any input appreciated.
If I could find a new clamp arm from a damaged player, that would be a good way to begin to see if that missing flange is critical at all.

Yes.

LOTR, we get it. You don't like the sound of the DCD-1500II.

Let's not forget that this player isn't exactly state of the art by 2014 standards. It's from 1987 for Pete's sakes!

That said, as someone who has owned and worked on MANY players over the years, I've found this to be a solidly built, easy to service player that with a few simple mechanical repairs is a great player.

Spring tension? Burning plastic? Not on any of the units I've ever owned/worked on.

This thing has one spring in it (used to help guide the clamp in place...clamping is magnetic/mechanical, and the transport is a gem. The laser assembly rides on polished steel rails, and two belts are used to move the tray in and out...easily repaired/replaced unlike anything that relied on plastic gears.

Now back to the stated purpose of the thread...getting these players back up and running!

Last edited:
Wow, you got me completely wrong. I said a simple yes, and look at what you just said.
Please argue with yourself when you don't know anything about me.

If he fixes his player's broken clamp (by replacing it) his issue might be resolved and back to his sweet Denon sound. I had the exact same issue myself, and that same player couldn't play anymore. I gave up eventually because I was already on a higher level of music fidelity with other CD players. And that is all.
If not I would have searched for another clamping disc arm.

Also, there is a small spring behind the transport, and sometimes the tension could affect proper opening and closing of the disc tray (I had that issue with mine, and replaced that small spring).

- Mister, you read me totally at the inverse of reality by creating a false one.
Your tone is unnecessary; it creates discordance from a simple yes I said and that you completely misinterpreted by saying that you (we) get it that I don't like the 1500MKII sound!

Anyway, ...

Anyway, even if it would work I still find the Denon DCD-1500MKII player's sound anemic, congested, restricted, reserved, unclear, lacking in all aspects of naturalism, musicality, definition, and overall involvement. ...1987 wasn't a good year for CD players, including this one.
And the entire disc transport is simply pathetic (wrong spring tension, loose belt, burning plastic, etc.)

Today you can get a much better CD player for almost nothing. ...Or a turntable (for less money) that plays LPs with much more life. The Denon's sound I find it dead. ;)

This was the post I was referring to...and the other one claiming that Denon players are unreliable, etc. etc.

So freekin' what! That's my opinion, I don't have the right to an opinion!

Just leave me alone, leave me out of that. Do what you have to do to help the guy.

I've been tinkering with A DCD-1500II for a while. When I got it the cd drawer would not shut. I changed the belts and the drawer now shuts like a charm. Once that was fixed, I realized that the cd does not spin when the drawer closes. I did the repair to the felt on the puck that is recommended. Still no spin.

Is the next step in troubleshooting to change out the motor or laser assembly? If so, I have a dcd-1500 that works, will those parts work in the dcd-1500II?

Before you do anything drastic, check the transport over again.

I seem to recall a small switch that engaged when the drawer shut that told the motor to spin up to read the disc. It certainly could be the laser assembly, but hopefully not...

Drawer goes 100% in, there is a click and then the disc does not spin. The laser is unlocked.

Anyone have suggestions for troubleshooting beyond this? thanks

What would the max diameter of the clamping material (felt?) be?
I'll guess somewhere between 35/40mm.

Which thickness would be best (.150)?

The hole is 15mm FWIW. pc

The rubber washer fix suggested on the first page of this thread worked great. Mine was 90 cents in the hardware section of a Canadian Home Depot. I used a quarter and an exacto knife to trace a larger hole in the washer and glued it directly to the remaining felt. Success! Thank you, brilliant people. I have older Yamahas, an older Rotel and a newer Cambridge Audio, but I much prefer the sound from my recently purchased CDC-1500.

Last edited:
I too own a Denon DCD-1500. It's a wonderful machine! Unbelievable it sounds so good, given that it's from 85! Modern players I owned or own, like Rega Apollo, Marantz CD5005, NAD 542 etc doesn't even hold a candle sound wise to this Denon. Mine (finger crossed) reads everything, smoothly and silently.

Bringing this thread back.

Bought 2 belts for my Denon, all was fine first 3 cds I played. Now it's clicking and clacking. Gonna check that washer and those flanges.

How does the clamp come off?? I was inside for belt change, but don't recall looking at the clamp.

Bought a DCD-1500II a couple of days ago that was listed as not working. Turns out it was the felt washer problem detailed above. Here's a simple but elegant solution. Strip the old washer off and clean the clamp with isopropyl alcohol. Stick on three self-adhesive furniture bumpers to the clamp arm (the smallest, flattest ones you can find). Worked perfectly first time. Cost less than $1 and took about 5 minutes (that's got to be one of the easiest CD player arms to work on).

Could anyone please tell me how they got the arm clamp OFF? Is it laborious?

I may be able to help you if you would tell us the exact model Denon that you have.
Well...can I assume it's the Denon DCD-1500II?

Hey there! I was able to figure it out! A small amount of wiggle room to get that thing loose. Thanks for the help, it's running great!

Back
Top Bottom