Limiting output level of a CD Player?

mattstech

So lately I'm finding that a few of my CD's are recorded so loudly that they cause distortion. I just got a new receiver (Sansui 350) and I find it has trouble with crazy high inputs. The output on my Pioneer PD-T510 is LOUD, much louder in fact than what my cassette deck or computer could output.
I'll post some pics of the inside later, but is there a potentiometer somewhere inside to adjust the output level?

A variable or fixed output level is one of the reasons I picked up the Sony XA1ES CD player I have. That plus new replacement laser assemblies were still available for purchase.

So lately I'm finding that a few of my CD's are recorded so loudly that they cause distortion. I just got a new receiver (Sansui 350) and I find it has trouble with crazy high inputs. The output on my Pioneer PD-T510 is LOUD, much louder in fact than what my cassette deck or computer could output.
I'll post some pics of the inside later, but is there a potentiometer somewhere inside to adjust the output level?
Go on hifi engine, or any other source that you can find the schematic for said CD player on, download it, and look it over and see if there is a potentiometer for an output level adjustment... if there isn't, you're SOL :bigok:

The best passive controller that I have used is this little Nano Patch from SM Audio. Very well thought out, great construction. I have used their audio products from Australia for over 10 years as they have some of the most unique solutions for odd problems that I run up against in installations or live gigs. This would require a 1/4" to RCA adapter to go between your CD and amp.Nano_Patch+_hires_1.jpg Nano_Patch+_hires_1.jpg Nano_Patch+_hires_2.jpg

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/monitor-controllers/nano-patch-plus

The best passive controller that I have used is this little Nano Patch from SM Audio. Very well thought out, great construction. I have used their audio products from Australia for over 10 years as they have some of the most unique solutions for odd problems that I run up against in installations or live gigs. This would require a 1/4" to RCA adapter to go between your CD and amp.View attachment 963066 View attachment 963066 View attachment 963068

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/monitor-controllers/nano-patch-plus
Thanks, something like this would probably work!

Are you sure the distortion isnt in the cd recording itself? Im guessing you already checked with the volume turned down. It just seems odd as I have never encountered this.
I'm sure, this never happened before on my old Yamaha. It's quite a bit newer and IC driven as opposed to the transistor-based Sansui

Sometimes mixing modern gear with vintage gear, it is nice to be able to gain match for smoother source switching and less stress to your gears and ears.

The Pioneer that I picked up at a thrift store earlier this week has a built in attenuator that can be controlled by the front panel buttons.

Unfortunately, it needs a new laser, so that helps you not at all.

2 volts sounds right for CD player output.

You could also use an inline attenuator on your patch cord.

Look at the sensitivity, both output of the CD player and input of the receiver. I bet the CD players output max s 2 volt (very common) and the Sansui input is 0.5 - 1 volt. That would cause the issue you are seeing.
That's probably what's causing it. Would a variable resistor like the ones mentioned above be able to reduce this voltage?

Just to be safe.....you're not using the inputs intended for turntable input(if it is equipped with such) are you?

Just to be safe.....you're not using the inputs intended for turntable input(if it is equipped with such) are you?
Hahaha nope, I remember doing that with a 90s sony hifi system as a kid because that was the only "input" it seemed to have. All of my equipment is connected to the AUX input through a switchbox. Just to make sure I wasn't missing anything, I plugged the CD player straight into AUX, bypassing the switchbox and I still get the same problem :(

Look at the sensitivity, both output of the CD player and input of the receiver. I bet the CD players output max s 2 volt (very common) and the Sansui input is 0.5 - 1 volt. That would cause the issue you are seeing.

Input sensitivity is not the maximum permissible, it is the minimum necessary to achieve rated output.

Causes distortion, where, as in at what setting of the Sansui volume control?

Doesn't matter at what volume, the distortion stays the same weather it's louder or quieter

Then the distortion is on the CD itself. The modern trend in mastering is to compress and peak-limit (read "clip") the signal so that the average level is louder. Television commercials do the same thing, despite there being a law against it now. Read about the "loudness wars" by googling it. The only solution is to avoid CDs mastered this way. Here is a resource to help you do so:

http://dr.loudness-war.info

Green is good, red is bad. You need to use the search feature - there's too much info to just browse.

Then the distortion is on the CD itself. The modern trend in mastering is to compress and peak-limit (read "clip") the signal so that the average level is louder. Television commercials do the same thing, despite there being a law against it now. Read about the "loudness wars" by googling it. The only solution is to avoid CDs mastered this way. Here is a resource to help you do so:

http://dr.loudness-war.info

Green is good, red is bad. You need to use the search feature - there's too much info to just browse.
My wife has several CDs that are completely unlistenable unless it is in the car. One of them is a Madonna disc from a couple of years ago. I had to turn it down so low it wasnt really worth listening to in the house.

The best passive controller that I have used is this little Nano Patch from SM Audio. Very well thought out, great construction. I have used their audio products from Australia for over 10 years as they have some of the most unique solutions for odd problems that I run up against in installations or live gigs. This would require a 1/4" to RCA adapter to go between your CD and amp.View attachment 963066 View attachment 963066 View attachment 963068

I will be getting onebof these ASAP. Thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom