LA LA Land Lurker, here!

50 Green

I need to start off by saying a huge thank you to the members of this forum. I mined many threads in the process of restoring (actually modifying) my speakers. Moving on now to do some work on my receiver, I've again studied many posts but realize I need to confirm what I think to be correct before proceeding.

As for electronics experience, I had a really great little electronic projects kit as a kid. It was a lot of fun... until i let the smoke out of one of the transistors. In other words, I can identify the components and have a general idea of what they do, but that's about the extent of it.

And regarding vintage audio..... I don't know about that... The stuff was brand new when I got it!!

I still have the system I got in the late '60s / early '70s. Actually, it's not the same system I originally bought... It evolved. The original system consisted of a Fisher 450-T, Garrard changer and "house brand" "Mark IV" speakers.

The upgrade began against my will. Toward the end of the warranty period, I brought the receiver in to be serviced: new dial lights, etc. It wasn't done when promised, and kept taking longer and longer. My weekly calls to check on it eventually became a couple times a week, then several times weekly. Always, they put me off... "Not done yet. Will be soon"

Until one day the response was different.... Someone slipped up: "Oh, your receiver must have been in the truckload that was stolen out of our warehouse." Instantly, I knew where I stood. My receiver wasn't coming back.... and I wasn't the only one who'd been burned!

I began calling daily... to the manager. Eventually, he offered money (not enough.) I told him I lost a receiver, not money, so I wanted a receiver back. I persisted, calling daily, but I was beginning to lose a little hope.. then on one of my daily calls he shocked me: "OK, we'll give you a receiver. You can have your choice of a Marantz 2240 or a Sony STR-7055."

I suspected some sort of double-cross, but confirmed they were really offering a choice of one of those receivers.. brand new. It seemed like a good deal to me... Back then, Marantz had a cult-like reputation, and the blue lights, sideways tuning dial and Marantz script looked awfully good!

Just to be sure, before committing, I called up a friend in the audio business. Told him what was up, and asked his advice. Without skipping a beat, he said, "Take the Sony. It'll blow the doors off your Fisher."

"The Sony?" I thought. "The Sony???" I wanted to ask him if he was sure, but I'd already taken too much of his time. I called the shop back, and ...doubting every word as I said it... told them, "I'll take the Sony."

I went and picked it up, brought it home and hooked it up, and (aside from a decade hiatus in my garage, after a move) it's been playing faithfully right up until today. (I'm listening to it now, as I type.)

The rest of the system transformed a little less dramatically. I sold the Garrard and bought a Thorens TD-165 with Stanton 681 EEE. With that, I was happy with the system ....until I heard a friend's system, with stacked Advents. My Mark IVs would no longer do it. I had to have that sound. 4 Advents were a bit of money for me back then, so I was hesitant.. Took a little time, then came across a pair of Epicure 20s on sale. (2 Burhoe modules per.... that equals 4 speakers, does't it??)

And that's the system I have today.

As I said, thank you to all of you whose posts I've learned from already. Thanks too to dgwojo for the bulbs, and thanks, even, to EchoWars, whose infernal "DC Offset" thread made me realize I need to work on the receiver. (I was perfectly happy until I read that thread!)

Last edited:
Thank you all for your welcome!
(ilusndweller, LA LA Land is probably much as you left it... other than the inconveniences having been cubed in the interim.)

As soon as I have time to clarify my questions about the receiver, I'll start a thread in the Solid State forum to ask them.

Last edited:
Welcome to the AK Crew.

WOW! :yikes: Great intro! Detailed or what? Quite the story that unfolded, and with a happy ending to boot! The gods were with ya!

Glad that you are pretty satisfied with your present sys, eh? Be careful of that "missing link" that so many spend their lifetime looking for and being semi-happy with their gear.:rolleyes: Just enjoy, knowing that there is a host of stuff that is far below what you listen to right now.

Have great listening,

Q

Last edited:
Thank you very much, everyone, for your welcome!

....Yes, that was an early life lesson: not everything that seems bad actually is... Sometimes it's merely a very uncomfortable transition to something better.

(Now, if all of my bad luck could only be so good........)

Thank you very much, everyone, for your welcome!

....Yes, that was an early life lesson: not everything that seems bad actually is... Sometimes it's merely a very uncomfortable transition to something better.

(Now, if all of my bad luck could only be so good........)

Can't really appreciate the highs in life if you haven't hit the lows. It's the distance between the two that makes life worthwhile. :)

Y'all heard it first on AK, eh?

Q

Thank you, gentlemen. Well said, Quadman2.
TomBig58, it's nice to be new. (I spend most of the time lately being old!)

As I mentioned I would, I've started a thread with some of my questions about correcting my receiver's DC offset. It's on the Solid State forum, if anyone has any insight they can share.

Thank you again!

"TomBig58, it's nice to be new. (I spend most of the time lately being old!)"

Yeah, my new car smell dissipated a long time ago.

Thank you, Marine0811!

TomBig58, maybe if I hang one of those cardboard-tree air fresheners around my neck....??!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom